Author Topic: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)  (Read 21267 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2020, 12:49:16 PM »
In our district you could sign up for hybrid or online only. We signed up for hybrid and the kids have their regular teachers and stuff. But people that wanted online only got this program called "Acellus" that is a pretty popular home school program but also is pretty goddam racist and parents were pissed when they found out.

https://week.com/2020/08/26/pps-parents-outraged-after-racist-question-appears-in-kindergarten-social-studies-lesson/

I think Acellus is a KC company! And it's racist because that's what the home school parents wanted! Pretty wild that it made it nationwide!

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
In our district you could sign up for hybrid or online only. We signed up for hybrid and the kids have their regular teachers and stuff. But people that wanted online only got this program called "Acellus" that is a pretty popular home school program but also is pretty goddam racist and parents were pissed when they found out.

https://week.com/2020/08/26/pps-parents-outraged-after-racist-question-appears-in-kindergarten-social-studies-lesson/

I think Acellus is a KC company! And it's racist because that's what the home school parents wanted! Pretty wild that it made it nationwide!

Also, oh wow!

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
jesus rough ridin' christ from every possible angle on this one.

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1302234866164142080
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2020, 07:48:57 AM »
welp. positive case and our entire office staff is quarantining.  COOL!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »
I have a fourth grader and a sixth grader. In our district there are two fourth grade classes and two sixth grade classes, both classes opposite my kids are quarantined. My wife also teaches in both buildings.

Since I have not posted in this thread it's relevant to know that in the middle of Iowa, lousy with COVID, the district decided to proceed without any additional distancing, just a normal school day with an online option that a whole 7 students districtwide took. The choice wasn't really a choice for elementary students, if you took the online version you were only given math and english.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2020, 09:27:13 AM »
Kinda surprising entire classes and office staffs are quarantining considering how secretive districts seem to want it to be. I mean it's good for slowing virus spread but are the teachers prepared?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
The online cirriculum is very impressive in our district and I hadn't even thought about how that is certainly not the case in many places.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
The online cirriculum is very impressive in our district and I hadn't even thought about how that is certainly not the case in many places.
Are your kids fully online?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
I have a fourth grader and a sixth grader. In our district there are two fourth grade classes and two sixth grade classes, both classes opposite my kids are quarantined. My wife also teaches in both buildings.

Since I have not posted in this thread it's relevant to know that in the middle of Iowa, lousy with COVID, the district decided to proceed without any additional distancing, just a normal school day with an online option that a whole 7 students districtwide took. The choice wasn't really a choice for elementary students, if you took the online version you were only given math and english.

sounds like hot garbage.

30%+ took online option here so it is very legit and a lot of good face-to-face instruction and we have all the digital tools to make it work. But yeah that is not the case a lot of places.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2020, 09:45:36 AM »
Are your kids fully online?

One of two is. The older one wanted to go in person. From what I can tell, everyone at the school is dilligently following guidelines.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2020, 09:58:40 AM »
Our online student got a giant box of school supplies for free. I guess to ensure everyone has what they need. ??? They also have free breakfast and lunch available for pick up. All the older kids already had chromebooks, but they're now available to younger online students as well.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there are many schools not far from here that don't have jack crap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2020, 11:18:46 PM »
Kinda surprising entire classes and office staffs are quarantining considering how secretive districts seem to want it to be. I mean it's good for slowing virus spread but are the teachers prepared?

lol no. They didn't even get their in person schedules until three days before school was scheduled to start. My wife was trying to get the two principals who are her reports to get her schedule worked out between the two of them the Monday before they were supposed to start. Oh, I also failed to mention that last Monday was supposed to be the first day but they had to postpone to Thursday for both schools due to cleaning for another COVID outbreak.

Also part two of things I forgot. As discussed my wife teaches in both buildings but she never got any notice or guidance about the two classes in quarantine, she got the same email the rest of the district parents got. That 6th grade class is supposed to visit her class tomorrow and they still haven't told her anything despite the fact that she's supposed to be teaching them tomorrow. No virtual music for quarantined classes I guess.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2020, 11:21:23 PM »
Our online student got a giant box of school supplies for free. I guess to ensure everyone has what they need. ??? They also have free breakfast and lunch available for pick up. All the older kids already had chromebooks, but they're now available to younger online students as well.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there are many schools not far from here that don't have jack crap.

Our district did do a great job getting everyone chromebooks, but it is also a rural district with a lot of students without high speed internet, on metered satellite internet.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
Update on lil sd he was negative as expected. Still has a hacking cough but back in school. Also got this today. This is the before/after child care at his school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2020, 05:15:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1304502679482310659
How did the cops know the kid had covid?

But after scanning the ID of one of the students who lives in the house, he saw a note on his computer that the student tested positive for COVID-19 just one week prior.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1304502679482310659
How did the cops know the kid had covid?

But after scanning the ID of one of the students who lives in the house, he saw a note on his computer that the student tested positive for COVID-19 just one week prior.

Yeah I didn't realize they had that kind of info normally. Do they know if someone without a record is HIV+?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2020, 10:29:47 PM »
District zoom class guidelines for parents

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2020, 10:44:23 PM »
Update on lil sd he was negative as expected. Still has a hacking cough but back in school. Also got this today. This is the before/after child care at his school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neighbor kid thought he caught covid late this summer. Tested twice and quarantined for 14 days... negative. Still always coughing weeks later. Always freaks me out when he comes over coughing.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
District zoom class guidelines for parents

I’ve come dangerously close to gracing Mrs nicname’s zoom meetings and nicname jr’s (last year) zoom classes with my only wearing underwear ass
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.