Author Topic: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)  (Read 21254 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2020, 12:00:34 AM »
I love sports, but they need to go.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2020, 12:27:21 PM »
I honestly don’t see how if you are opening up they will make much difference. I do think Manhattan is set up to be hit pretty bad with the return of students and so maybe sports would spread that to less exposed towns, but look who they play.

I change my mind everyday about what I think is going to happen but I think the 1000 people in a building for a full day is more of a problem than football or whatever.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
I honestly don’t see how if you are opening up they will make much difference.

agree.  it's just people desperate to not make the decision to keep schools closed looking for anything else they can possibly rationalize as the problem.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
nobody cares about Omaha area but me but we're supposed to start on Monday in Millard (which is OPS ajace) and I'm wondering if we are going to have a late change now too

https://twitter.com/emily_nitcher/status/1291812266275463168

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »
if there's just 9 new cases I'd say they're doing pretty good

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1292476354768916482

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2020, 02:07:25 PM »
given incubation times and testing delays, i'd think that's more like 9 people that were infectious at the time of the photo.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:07:56 PM by sys »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2020, 06:11:04 PM »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
:lol:

While this is rough ridin' hilarious the people who allowed the original stuff to happen should be criminally charged.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
 I’m pretty much on the school from home or Hybrid w/emphasis on as much outdoor/open air classes as possible, and allow outdoor sports w/ minimal use of locker rooms /indoor facilities.

If you have to shut down hs and jr high sports tho, so be it.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »
interested to see if they cancel cfb what happens with fall youth sports in most areas

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2020, 09:33:10 PM »
interested to see if they cancel cfb what happens with fall youth sports in most areas
They should just do what the school does: if classes are in person, play on. Otherwise cancel or postpone.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
Had heard on the news today that a 7 yr old kid with no health problems died from Covid-19.  This crap is dangerous to kids and besides causing long term health issues, it could cause death.  How rough ridin' stupid are our leaders who work remotely to protect themselves, but think kids can be together in schools without controlling this virus.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
Had heard on the news today that a 7 yr old kid with no health problems died from Covid-19.  This crap is dangerous to kids and besides causing long term health issues, it could cause death.  How rough ridin' stupid are our leaders who work remotely to protect themselves, but think kids can be together in schools without controlling this virus.
A lot of people are science deniers and dumb as eff, katpappy.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »
also, I think we're stupid to let these fuckers handle this pandemic like idiots without repercussions.  Let's get these crap heads out of government, so they can't eff up anything else.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
7 year old went back to school yesterday for a “get ready” day where only 1/5 of the students were there and they drilled them on mask wearing protocol, lining up, distancing, recess, lunch, etc. during covid.

Initial 7 year old reaction: crap sucks. Can’t touch anyone else on recess. Can’t share equipment/supplies. Can’t sit by anyone at lunch or anywhere else. But, he didn’t even realize he was wearing his mask after we picked him up and said he forgot about it for most of the day so I think masks will be fine. He goes back full time next Monday assuming our district doesn’t follow Omaha Public and go all virtual between now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »
Good report, I agree kids can wear masks all day - it won't be perfect 100% of the time but they can do it. But I'd guess crap's gonna spread with 25 kids in a classroom even if they're masked up.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »
what is everyone doing with there kids this fall, send them to in person school, or home schooling?  Was planning on doing in school, because i can't get anything done with kids here during the day WFH, but starting to wonder if should switch to home school.  School isn't starting until Sep 8th, so a lot could change between now and then, they may not give us the choice by then who knows.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »
what is everyone doing with there kids this fall, send them to in person school, or home schooling?  Was planning on doing in school, because i can't get anything done with kids here during the day WFH, but starting to wonder if should switch to home school.  School isn't starting until Sep 8th, so a lot could change between now and then, they may not give us the choice by then who knows.

Not saying to follow my advice.

I am sending my kids and I am going to work. I think there is a good chance the schools get shut down, but I think it is worth it to send them rather than trying to finagle a home school situation.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »
I don't like being inside stores or restaurants with spaced-out adults that you'd think are generally smarter than kids. 

And I think less-spaced, presumably dumber kids inside a building where there's constant mingling would be a lot worse.

Thus I'd be pretty uncomfortable putting my kid in that petri dish for the kid's sake and then uncomfortable myself with the kid coming home and bringing all that to me.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
I am sending my kids and I am going to work. I think there is a good chance the schools get shut down, but I think it is worth it to send them rather than trying to finagle a home school situation.

i mean, if you're sending yourself, you might as well send the children too.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »

Around here I know some parents are looking to transfer from USD 383 (Manhattan/Ogden) to either USD 378 (Riley County) or USD 323 (Rock Creek) if they can.  Those two school districts are going 5 days a week in person whereas USD 383 is only two days a week for a kid to start.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »

Around here I know some parents are looking to transfer from USD 383 (Manhattan/Ogden) to either USD 378 (Riley County) or USD 323 (Rock Creek) if they can.  Those two school districts are going 5 days a week in person whereas USD 383 is only two days a week for a kid to start.

what's the plan for when those districts go to hybrid or online only mid-year? I also thought about sending my kids to somewhere like KS but this kind of stopped me before it became the inevitable pain it was gonna be.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2020, 04:50:19 PM »

what's the plan for when those districts go to hybrid or online only mid-year? I also thought about sending my kids to somewhere like KS but this kind of stopped me before it became the inevitable pain it was gonna be.

I honestly don't know if those parents think that will happen.  At the same time, I also think they're at the point where if they can get the kids out of the house 5 days a week for a few weeks or a couple months, it will be worth it to them.  If those other districts go online or hybrid at some point, I'm sure 383 will already be there.  In that case, they won't be worse off and will have gotten some time where the kids are in school 5 days a week.

We homeschool our kids so we watch all of the debate around kids in school with a detached interest and a gratefulness that we are not experiencing all of the indecision and anxiety others are feeling.  I have had some parents ask how much my wife would charge to homeschool their kids.  My wife does have a degree in elementary education, so she does have some qualifications.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:51:09 PM by Justwin »