Author Topic: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)  (Read 21266 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: COVID Classes (back-to-school related)
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »
Moat states will jam them back after Labor Day.  It's happening

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »
We decided to homeschool my oldest going into Kindergarten....at least for the first semester.  After looking at the curriculum, he already knows what is expected plus some. Our biggest concern is keeping him social with other kids, which I think we have a good plan for that.

This would be much harder if he was older.
My brother has a somewhat prematurely born newborn, so potentially high risk, as well as a 6th grader and a 3rd grader, both early August kids and young for their grade. Plans on trying full distance learning, and if it sucks ass (likely?) just holding them back a year.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
We decided to homeschool my oldest going into Kindergarten....at least for the first semester.  After looking at the curriculum, he already knows what is expected plus some. Our biggest concern is keeping him social with other kids, which I think we have a good plan for that.

This would be much harder if he was older.
My brother has a somewhat prematurely born newborn, so potentially high risk, as well as a 6th grader and a 3rd grader, both early August kids and young for their grade. Plans on trying full distance learning, and if it sucks ass (likely?) just holding them back a year.

that's a good plan, he and his family must be super chill. I don't know many parents who would be able to stomach that but it makes a ton of sense.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
Kck not going back for 9 weeks. Starting virtual.

That’s bold, I bet they stood to lose Lot of teachers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »

I think all schools are gonna lose lots of teachers not matter what. Like this is an incredible disaster for schools any way you cut it

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
COVID Classes (back-to-school related)
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2020, 09:46:37 PM »
Our grade school where lil sd will start second grade is doing full back to school with masks on a normal schedule. But, medical and other requested exemptions can be made and you can do concurrent virtual study. No idea what that entails but if it’s anything like what we had to do when we quit early it is awful (for the parent) and actually pretty good (for the student) but probably super super awful for the teacher (who has to somehow do both?).

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »

I think all schools are gonna lose lots of teachers not matter what. Like this is an incredible disaster for schools any way you cut it
My sister teaches high school and she is considering not going back. They are trying to get pregnant.

Another HS teacher friend is almost certainly resigning unless she can get a “virtual” assignment.

The feeling from most of them is that after schools open and people start getting sick there will be closures because they won’t be subs.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2020, 02:20:47 PM »
Blue valley is delaying

I bet the rest of joco follows.

Maybe not the Spring Hill And Gardner red necks.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »

My sister teaches high school and she is considering not going back. They are trying to get pregnant.

Another HS teacher friend is almost certainly resigning unless she can get a “virtual” assignment.

The feeling from most of them is that after schools open and people start getting sick there will be closures because they won’t be subs.

:fatty:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2020, 03:20:28 PM »
Our grade school where lil sd will start second grade is doing full back to school with masks on a normal schedule. But, medical and other requested exemptions can be made and you can do concurrent virtual study. No idea what that entails but if it’s anything like what we had to do when we quit early it is awful (for the parent) and actually pretty good (for the student) but probably super super awful for the teacher (who has to somehow do both?).

It's really interesting listening to all the sides of this (non MAGA people that is). I got my sister who is very like "I'll do whatever they tell me, home or in person" but she's also young so she's become apathetic about it. She really did not have a fun WFH experience with the kids, and hardly any did their assignments. For her it was a ton of work and no real reward. Next door neighbor wants them to go back, but only because she and her husband are back at work, and they have no real way to support the child care/teaching from home if it came down to it. She was fairly upset they were (and this was yesterday before today's vote happened) going to push back school, since the program her kids were in wasn't going to go that long, and now she was going to have to find a sitter for the few weeks until school started.

Then you got my mom who is older, of course and doesn't really want to work, but she also knows the position she has will most likely get cut if they don't go back, she works in the classroom with kids to help them catch up, can't do that well remotely.

The whole thing is a mess and IMO there is no good answer to balance the needs between teachers/staff, kids, and parents.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »
KCPS just bodyslammed the joco districts with their reopening plan.

I guess that’s where All that administrative overhead goes.

Olathe, blue valley and Shawnee mission decision makers are made up of very average to dogshit former teachers who raced to get out of the classroom and into admin.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2020, 09:57:40 AM »

It's really interesting listening to all the sides of this (non MAGA people that is). I got my sister who is very like "I'll do whatever they tell me, home or in person" but she's also young so she's become apathetic about it. She really did not have a fun WFH experience with the kids, and hardly any did their assignments. For her it was a ton of work and no real reward. Next door neighbor wants them to go back, but only because she and her husband are back at work, and they have no real way to support the child care/teaching from home if it came down to it. She was fairly upset they were (and this was yesterday before today's vote happened) going to push back school, since the program her kids were in wasn't going to go that long, and now she was going to have to find a sitter for the few weeks until school started.

Then you got my mom who is older, of course and doesn't really want to work, but she also knows the position she has will most likely get cut if they don't go back, she works in the classroom with kids to help them catch up, can't do that well remotely.

The whole thing is a mess and IMO there is no good answer to balance the needs between teachers/staff, kids, and parents.

steve dave's the first person I've heard say remote learning was good for the kids. (of course he's a wfh pro)

my kids will be fine academically (because obviously they're smart and everyone else in the country is gonna be behind) but it sucks for them socially and w/ extracurriculars. we were willing to do in-person because we're all healthy and never around elderly people (aside from wife's work w/ PPE)

KCPS just bodyslammed the joco districts with their reopening plan.

I guess that’s where All that administrative overhead goes.

Olathe, blue valley and Shawnee mission decision makers are made up of very average to dogshit former teachers who raced to get out of the classroom and into admin.

what did KCPS do?

I'm hearing a lot of schools pushing school back a couple weeks, is that just so they can get ready for the inevitable distance learning? Hopefully they aren't expecting another week will make the pandemic go away.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
I think the idea behind pushing back to Labor Day is preventing a whole lot of freshly infected families from traveling to get together for the 3 day weekend.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2020, 10:25:52 AM »

steve dave's the first person I've heard say remote learning was good for the kids. (of course he's a wfh pro)

my kids will be fine academically (because obviously they're smart and everyone else in the country is gonna be behind) but it sucks for them socially and w/ extracurriculars. we were willing to do in-person because we're all healthy and never around elderly people (aside from wife's work w/ PPE)

It for sure sucked for me and my wife with the kids home. I gained a lot of respect for teachers over those months. But, I was shocked how much actual learning was going on for 1st graders and how lil sd's teacher was engaged all day with the online work and zoom calls and reviewing papers and answering questions. Like, we were really learning to read better and crap. I am embarrassed to say that I thought 1st grade was glorified daycare before I was responsible for making sure lil sd did 8 different assignments every day and record himself reading and doing zoom calls with the class and junk. but I agree the socialization is the biggest missing piece.

also, my employer (elite euros) provides $100 a day reimbursement for special child care during covid. all you have to do is submit the name of the person who took care of your kids. has to be at least 4 hours. they wire me $100. so my sister in law would take the kids on some days to play with their cousins so they weren't just entertaining themselves all day and we'd get $100 to give to her (or just keep it HAHAHAHAHAHA). anyway, it is a very nice perk and I've never appreciated my employer more than I do right now through Covid (and the BLM protests because of stuff they have done but that's a different topic).

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2020, 11:05:09 AM »
I'm not too terribly worried about the social development impact from online school. It's not ideal, but it is only one year out of many. I've also thought about how my nine year-old won't even really remember much of this. Probably remember that it happened, and masks, but not much else.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2020, 11:07:49 AM »
I'm not too terribly worried about the social development impact from online school. It's not ideal, but it is only one year out of many. I've also thought about how my nine year-old won't even really remember much of this. Probably remember that it happened, and masks, but not much else.

yeah that probably depends on the age. Like, I'm not worried about "social development", it just kinda sucks they can't hang out with friends or play sports or things

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »

yeah that probably depends on the age. Like, I'm not worried about "social development", it just kinda sucks they can't hang out with friends or play sports or things
My kids' stress levels actually seemed lower from not having to interact with certain classmates during March, April, May.

Lately, they seem to be increasingly bored and missing interacting with their peers.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »

All of that is fine and good, I get that, it's just listening to everyone, there are just a lot of families again forced to make hard choices, and then listening to several (not all teachers) who sit there and act like they are being led like sheep to slaughter (not my sister obv but I have some friends who legit feel that way, and it honestly kinda pisses me off to a degree). I am glad plenty of kids will be fine through this, and I am sure academically many can make it work, but plenty will not make it work, and it'll only exacerbate social inequalities. Maybe they'll get it corrected, and it'll just be an aberration in the scheme of life, just seems like for a lot of those kids it comes at some crucial moments.  It's a big pickle, I am glad I don't have kids rn and having to actively think about it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
Yeah I think the general populace would be well served to acknowledge that this is a tough problem with significant drawbacks associated with every available solution.  I don't feel too strongly about it one way or the other, and I get annoyed by those who think any solution is obviously the correct one.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2020, 11:29:40 AM »

All of that is fine and good, I get that, it's just listening to everyone, there are just a lot of families again forced to make hard choices, and then listening to several (not all teachers) who sit there and act like they are being led like sheep to slaughter (not my sister obv but I have some friends who legit feel that way, and it honestly kinda pisses me off to a degree). I am glad plenty of kids will be fine through this, and I am sure academically many can make it work, but plenty will not make it work, and it'll only exacerbate social inequalities. Maybe they'll get it corrected, and it'll just be an aberration in the scheme of life, just seems like for a lot of those kids it comes at some crucial moments.  It's a big pickle, I am glad I don't have kids rn and having to actively think about it.

yeah it's a disaster overall outside of a few rich folks doing the pod tutor thing. but hey we saved some bars from going out of business maybe?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »
Yeah I think the general populace would be well served to acknowledge that this is a tough problem with significant drawbacks associated with every available solution.  I don't feel too strongly about it one way or the other, and I get annoyed by those who think any solution is obviously the correct one.

my only light I might see is if this turns into a "blow it up" event that completely changes how we think about inequality/the local funding model in public education. but that probably won't happen

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2020, 11:49:57 AM »

my only light I might see is if this turns into a "blow it up" event that completely changes how we think about inequality/the local funding model in public education. but that probably won't happen
Yeah I think that's pretty unlikely, but it would be nice if it happened.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »

would take if that happened.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2020, 12:36:52 PM »

100%. I am just tired of the one side who wants to keep kids at home generally not realizing that is not a viable solution to most people, and it also is generally from people who value education, but obv aren't thinking about how most people in this country actually work and live. And that teachers are being put in this horrible spot and they are some singular victim of this, as if grocery store clerks, food workers, sanitation, etc hasn't already been dealing with that sort of crap since day 1. Heck my office has been pushing for us to go back (and we have been back). No one is acting like we're some sacrificial lamb unto the alter of society (more like we can still do this from home, why are we going back? oh because you want to, I see).

On the flip side, it's rich seeing those who would rather Besty DeVoss this crap and act like they are doing a solid for students and "caring" about education, without recognizing/caring about the real dangers and concerns of faculty, staff, and well, it's not just kids who get sick too, they will carry it to others at home and to said faculty and staff. But those the breaks in this crazy fight. I feel for the parents first, kids next, then teachers, then everyone else involved in this.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »
The worst part of being a teacher is dealing with the kids/students, so I understand the teachers' position.