Author Topic: Dark horse  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Dark horse
« on: August 19, 2022, 02:52:20 PM »
Is everyone calling kstate a dark horse to win the big 12 and deuce Vaughn a dark horse to win the heisman using that as some kind of code word or whatever to not take kstate seriously. Like “lol I know they aren’t good and the school is a joke but they could actually win a few games this year before they go back to sucking!”

I’m just curious becasue I need to know whether I should be pissed about that kind of talk or not. Leaning towards pissed.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Dark horse
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
I believe a few years ago the ksu cats were labeled as "the darkest horse of them all" and we won a Dr pepper and had the runner up in the Heisman
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 03:07:15 PM »
I think pissed is appropriate:

The term began as horse racing parlance for a race horse that is unknown to gamblers and thus difficult to place betting odds on.

The uncultured swine of sports media don't bother to learn about the teams that don't get put on TV sets on the reg.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »
They know we’re good but they can’t bring themselves to actually vote for us because they still view us as little ol’ KSU.  Dark horse label is how they cover their asses and say “I told you they would be good!”.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
I believe a few years ago the ksu cats were labeled as "the darkest horse of them all" and we won a Dr pepper and had the runner up in the Heisman

Yeah, we were "the darkest horse of them all" after returning just about everyone from an 10 win team. 2012 would have been the year to feel disrespected. This season we shouldn't be 2012 good but have a decent shot at winning the Big 12 because it's hard to point to any team that is going to be great. I think dark horse kind of fits here.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »

Yeah, we were "the darkest horse of them all" after returning just about everyone from an 10 win team. 2012 would have been the year to feel disrespected. This season we shouldn't be 2012 good but have a decent shot at winning the Big 12 because it's hard to point to any team that is going to be great. I think dark horse kind of fits here.

Yeah, how I feel, no team in the Big 12 is scary good, showing up will matter
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 04:11:54 PM »
there isn't many weaknesses position-wise. wide receivers and safety - but receivers should at least be average, they all have a lot of experience and skylar completed 70% to these guys. and for safety, word is kobe savage might be one of the best players on defense. this season could be special

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »
It absolutely is an insult because if we go 8-5 they'll treat us like Iowa State and they've been losers our entire lifetimes. This team and staff should catch crap for going 8-5 this year.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 04:22:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to be disappointed with fewer than 10 wins.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »
The regional and national media, and casual cfb fans likening ISU to us is infuriating. They’ve never been on our level athletically for an extended period of time.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 04:49:04 PM »
It absolutely is an insult because if we go 8-5 they'll treat us like Iowa State and they've been losers our entire lifetimes. This team and staff should catch crap for going 8-5 this year.

Yep, if it's another 8-5 season that means that's about Klieman's ceiling. Not saying we should look to find another coach, but just get used to being a perpetual 6-6 to 8-5 team every year.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 06:27:36 PM »

Yep, if it's another 8-5 season that means that's about Klieman's ceiling. Not saying we should look to find another coach, but just get used to being a perpetual 6-6 to 8-5 team every year.

8-5 will be disappointing given the talent and relative difficulty of schedule, and I would definitely think the coaches shoulder that.

Of course I want us to do better but a 9-3 with a bowl win would feel good, and feel like progress in the right direction, we've basically proven we're 8 wins good program anyways. That being said I think this team should be more like eyeing being 10-2 and heading to Dallas for a Pepper. If things really fall in well, then we can dream bigger.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 09:25:46 PM »
How tf Vegas has us at 6.5 wins?!

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »
Well said.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 09:35:50 PM »
How much you betting?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 09:50:05 PM »
If we win more than 8 games (bowl doesn’t count) then I’ll delete my goEMAW account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 10:16:41 PM »
Winning 10 games in year 4 of Klieman while Campbell fades into Bolivian never having more than sniffed 10 wins. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 08:09:53 AM »
How much you betting?

i would bet the farm but i'd rather bet on bitcoin for this long term bet.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 08:25:05 AM »
Winning 10 games in year 4 of Klieman while Campbell fades into Bolivian never having more than sniffed 10 wins.

:D

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 06:20:08 PM »
You should be enraged and absolutely go ape crap on anyone who uses this term.  If you don’t comatize at least one of these total dick necks you probably aren’t a cats fan tbh

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 06:35:21 PM »
If we win more than 8 games (bowl doesn’t count) then I’ll delete my goEMAW account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9 wins before bowl szn would be really great for me and my fandom