Author Topic: Time To Discuss Bygone MHK Restaurants That We Miss  (Read 8338 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Discuss Bygone MHK Restaurants That We Miss
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
Taco Hut obvs
obvs and also obvs was how good their ice was

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »
Did anyone ever miss Kirby's? I only barely remember it. I remember a mom and pop version of a buffet that old people love/Cracker Barrel.

Was this place out on highway 24? The answer is yes, if so.

Yep. Kirby retired and his daughter didn't want to stay in the restaurant business, so she turned it into a furniture store.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »
Is male genitals and Bull still there? If not, male genitals and Bull.
Yes. They sell frozen pizzas now.  :lol:

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »
So when PBR closed why didn’t Tanners create a rooftop bar?  You guys remember Rusty’s?
A reno to add that on such an old building would have probably cost them significant $$$ and they were already putting a ton of money into it. Auntie Mae's looked into adding a rooftop decades ago and it would have cost well into six figures.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2020, 01:39:56 PM »
So when PBR closed why didn’t Tanners create a rooftop bar?  You guys remember Rusty’s?
A reno to add that on such an old building would have probably cost them significant $$$ and they were already putting a ton of money into it. Auntie Mae's looked into adding a rooftop decades ago and it would have cost well into six figures.
Well Mae’s is still there so it would have paid off :dunno:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2020, 01:53:09 PM »
Well Mae’s is still there so it would have paid off :dunno:
Huh? They also didn't take on the hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt that they would have had to so we have no idea whether it would have paid off or not  :confused:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:08:41 PM by waks »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »
:dunno:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
And still cash only

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
And still cash only

lmao

https://cocknbullmanhattan.com/43741

:lol:

Photo of Steven B.   
Steven B.
Manhattan, KS
76 friends
2 reviews
3 photos
Share review

Embed review

5/22/2016
 First to Review
ok so this place used to be that best hole in the wall Bar in manhattan. The owner has messed things up so bad that it has because a crap hole. It smell funky and have been slowly raising the price of beer. I really hope this place comes under new management.

Photo of Bioshocker M.
Bioshocker M.
San Francisco, CA
0 friends
1 review
Share review

Embed review

3/23/2020
Bathrooms are gross, bartenders are rude, service is slow even though there were only 3 people at one table and 4 at the bar that's it. My wife waited 15 min for the bartender to come to us to order a beer and a cocktail. The only 2 times I've been in there my wife and I have had a very negative experience with burnt pizza and bad service and my wifes drink wasn't good. My beer was half frozen.

Photo of Loriann F.
Loriann F.
Topeka, KS
0 friends
3 reviews
2 photos
Share review

Embed review

5/22/2016
When I walked in, there was a foul odor. We asked the bartender if she'd turn on the exhaust fan to take away the smell. The other bartender told us that the owner said not to turn it on. We asked again and the bartender turned it on for us. It helped a little but not much. The owner obviously needs to do some cleaning.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »
I rolled in there once with Dr. Spaceman and like five other friends (co-ed mix) and some rough and tumble biker at the bar slowly looks over at us and says, “Well well well, if it isn’t The Partridge Family.” And then he slowly turned back to his beer.

Then a little bit later his friend walked by and heard me say I had to pee, and without breaking stride he said, “The ladies’ room is that way.” It was IRL PI’ing from the locals at the male genitals ‘n’ Bull Pub. :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
I rolled in there once with Dr. Spaceman and like five other friends (co-ed mix) and some rough and tumble biker at the bar slowly looks over at us and says, “Well well well, if it isn’t The Partridge Family.” And then he slowly turned back to his beer.

Then a little bit later his friend walked by and heard me say I had to pee, and without breaking stride he said, “The ladies’ room is that way.” It was IRL PI’ing from the locals at the male genitals ‘n’ Bull Pub. :frown:
The last time I went it was after painting last summer and I had a buddy paint the high parts of my house because I hate heights and I took him there to pay him back in beers and forgot they were cash only and there atm was out of order  :D  so buddy got to pay for the beers as well

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »

Shame on you for not rightfully starting a bar fight right then and there.

The last time I went it was after painting last summer and I had a buddy paint the high parts of my house because I hate heights and I took him there to pay him back in beers and forgot they were cash only and there atm was out of order  :D  so buddy got to pay for the beers as well
What a stud move.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »
Not sure I miss it, but Village Inn holds a bit of nostalgia for me.

Agreed

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »
Wasn't there some kind of weird chicken wing only restaurant over there?

Bullchicks?  iirc there were some quality gE glory days encounters there involving MIR and, like, Hopper maybe?  also Metalhead and EMAPE

Yep

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »
John's Cream
Aggieville Hardees that had delivery
Porters used to have really good enchiladas
Old Pizza Shuttle recipe

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »
I had a group of friends that would go to Village Inn late night after drinking. I had another group of friends that would go to Bob's. If you saw separate pics of these two groups, you could easily identify which was which.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »
John's Cream
Porters used to have really good enchiladas
Old Pizza Shuttle recipe
Remember the rather large dude who drove the moped to make the deliveries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »
I miss that Aggieville Hardee’s. SB Dad used to coach City League hoops, and more than once he went to that Hardee’s and got a shitload of Big 8 basketballs to give to each player at the end of the season. Probably 3 or 4 years. I hooped it up with a hardee’s ball (and Pizza Hut’s The Ball as well) quite a bit back in the day.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2020, 08:15:14 PM »
Pizza Hut basketballs were elite AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
john's creamery and video was an incredible biz. right next to Ben Franklin's crafts and the hardware store and some computer store libertarian that had a flyer on the front door offering some reward for someone successfully arguing that the drug war was a net positive to him.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »

This arguably did more to get me back healthy in times of need during college than any purported medical provider.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »
john's creamery and video was an incredible biz. right next to Ben Franklin's crafts and the hardware store and some computer store libertarian that had a flyer on the front door offering some reward for someone successfully arguing that the drug war was a net positive to him.

Lair Gauche?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
Maybe!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
Lair Gauche was an incredible combo-biz as well. SB Dad SWEARS by it. They fixed computers AND they sold used CDs. (Apparently they also give you stuff if you successfully argue about the drug war?)  And I think maybe they sold futons, too?

This thread is also now dedicated to weird MHK (or MHK area) combo-bizzes. So besides Lair Gauche and John's Ice Cream and Video, what other weird combo-bizzes can you think of? Only one that springs to mind at the moment is Ogden's Get-It-On Video/TV repair shop.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »
Brew Bros Hops & Sprockets - In Laramie Plaza - Homebrew Supply and Bike Repair Shop