Author Topic: Random MHK Factoids or rumors and rumblins  (Read 13744 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Random MHK Factoids or rumors and rumblins
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »
Elvira is from Manhattan(randolph) also the marlboro man was from westmoreland

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »
Elvira is from Manhattan(randolph) also the marlboro man was from westmoreland

ben ji's non western ks grandparents were also from Randolph, used to have to go there every summer for family reunions. Woof.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
Riley County voted to dump Trump. Anyone know if/when the last time was that Riley County went blue in a presidential election before that?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
Riley County voted to dump Trump. Anyone know if/when the last time was that Riley County went blue in a presidential election before that?

if this is accurate then it looks like 2020 is the first time Riley County has gone blue: https://dsl.richmond.edu/voting/countypopular.html

it's kind of hard to see but the only non-red i noticed was 1912 when Riley County went Progressive - Teddy Roosevelt!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Shameful

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 11:30:53 AM »

if this is accurate then it looks like 2020 is the first time Riley County has gone blue: https://dsl.richmond.edu/voting/countypopular.html

it's kind of hard to see but the only non-red i noticed was 1912 when Riley County went Progressive - Teddy Roosevelt!
I think this is accurate. I saw something on the (national, iirc) news that mentioned this. Interesting enough, TR gave a speech at the depot during his 1902 barnstorming tour!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:00:26 AM by waks »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
That's awesome

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »
i think I see Katdaddy in there

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
Summer hats were popular back then.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »
Manhattan depot is really cool. Great that the city saved it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:00:49 AM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »

I think this is accurate. I saw something on (national, iirc) the news that mentioned this. Interesting enough, TR gave a speech at the depot during his 1902 barnstorming tour!

That's a very cool picture. The depot looks so much bigger in that photo than it actually is.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
http://www.kansastravel.org/rileycountymuseum.htm
since we are talking MHK history I have found a lot of people don't know the story about how Manhattan got its name or that it was originally called Boston.  Manhattan is just where the ship broke down  ;)

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
The bewery has a beer called the New Boston in homage to this factoid.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
The bewery has a beer called the New Boston in homage to this factoid.
did not know that but did notice they have a picture of the flint hills with the hartford steamboat

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »

I think this is accurate. I saw something on (national, iirc) the news that mentioned this. Interesting enough, TR gave a speech at the depot during his 1902 barnstorming tour!

removed picture

this is really cool

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
Oklahoma did not become a state until 1907 blows my mind.  First presidential vote in 1912.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2020, 03:23:51 PM »
since we are talking MHK history I have found a lot of people don't know the story about how Manhattan got its name or that it was originally called Boston.  Manhattan is just where the ship broke down  ;)

Harvard of the Plains is confirmed.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2020, 06:40:36 PM »

I have a book about the founding of Manhattan through 1900 that is pretty interesting (couldn't find a picture online and not sure where it is).

One random thing I learned was that during bleeding kansas Manhattan sent some militia type folks to help protect Lawrence but they left a couple of weeks before Lawrence got sacked.

Also Manhattan never had to worry about any border ruffians due to their proximity to Ft. Riley.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2020, 06:42:57 PM »
Here it is.

Description
When Isaac Goodnow and five fellow New Englanders arrived at the junction of the Kansas and Big Blue rivers in March of 1855, they pitched a tent and launched a town. Harassment and homesickness almost drove them back east, but they held their ground to establish an anti-slavery and educational stronghold: the town of Manhattan, Kansas. Kevin Olson's lively history of Manhattan's founding illuminates the divisive forces that had to be overcome amidst the turbulence of the Civil War era and the sheer drama of building a town from scratch on the Great Plains frontier. With an eye for vivid detail and reflecting a native's deep knowledge of the city, Olson chronicles the first four decades of Manhattan as it grew from tent to town. Although spared much of the Bleeding Kansas violence, Manhattan saw its share of shootouts and lynchings in its Wild West days. Olson evocatively recaptures those rough-and-tumble times and effectively describes the town's key social and economic transformations. He also highlights the emergence of a college town and "New England village" by 1866, followed by Manhattan's growth and modernization in the 1890s. Drawing on town records as well as the personal papers of boosters, Olson mirrors the history of Kansas through the lens of this one community by interweaving ecology, relations with Native Americans, agriculture, literature, architecture, social mores, politics, economic issues, and university origins to recreate a vibrant cross-section of town life. His account of Kansa Indian settlement Blue Earth Village shines a light on a prehistory that until now has been little covered; his retelling of the emigration of the New England settlers recalls one of the most compelling stories of the antebellum era; and his coverage of the 1860s surpasses that of most previous histories. Written for general readers while boasting an impressive depth of scholarship, "Frontier Manhattan" takes us on a journey into the past to shop at Higginbotham and Purcell's or enjoy a stay at the Manhattan House hotel with jovial mayor Andrew Mead. With its strong sense of place and personality, Olson's book is as engaging as it is informative in celebrating the origins and early life of this quintessential Kansas city.

Having only gone to school in Manhattan and not knowing all of its history there were alot of familiar names in the book that now have streets etc named after them.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »
Here it is.

Description
When Isaac Goodnow and five fellow New Englanders arrived at the junction of the Kansas and Big Blue rivers in March of 1855, they pitched a tent and launched a town. Harassment and homesickness almost drove them back east, but they held their ground to establish an anti-slavery and educational stronghold: the town of Manhattan, Kansas. Kevin Olson's lively history of Manhattan's founding illuminates the divisive forces that had to be overcome amidst the turbulence of the Civil War era and the sheer drama of building a town from scratch on the Great Plains frontier. With an eye for vivid detail and reflecting a native's deep knowledge of the city, Olson chronicles the first four decades of Manhattan as it grew from tent to town. Although spared much of the Bleeding Kansas violence, Manhattan saw its share of shootouts and lynchings in its Wild West days. Olson evocatively recaptures those rough-and-tumble times and effectively describes the town's key social and economic transformations. He also highlights the emergence of a college town and "New England village" by 1866, followed by Manhattan's growth and modernization in the 1890s. Drawing on town records as well as the personal papers of boosters, Olson mirrors the history of Kansas through the lens of this one community by interweaving ecology, relations with Native Americans, agriculture, literature, architecture, social mores, politics, economic issues, and university origins to recreate a vibrant cross-section of town life. His account of Kansa Indian settlement Blue Earth Village shines a light on a prehistory that until now has been little covered; his retelling of the emigration of the New England settlers recalls one of the most compelling stories of the antebellum era; and his coverage of the 1860s surpasses that of most previous histories. Written for general readers while boasting an impressive depth of scholarship, "Frontier Manhattan" takes us on a journey into the past to shop at Higginbotham and Purcell's or enjoy a stay at the Manhattan House hotel with jovial mayor Andrew Mead. With its strong sense of place and personality, Olson's book is as engaging as it is informative in celebrating the origins and early life of this quintessential Kansas city.

Having only gone to school in Manhattan and not knowing all of its history there were alot of familiar names in the book that now have streets etc named after them.

Kevin Olson was in my Spanish class in highschool. So was Shane day who is now qb coach for the San Francisco 49ers. So was kim Kirkland (total smokeshow). And that’s been straight facts with rick daris. See you all next time.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2020, 10:54:36 AM »
Kevin Olson was in my Spanish class in highschool. So was Shane day who is now qb coach for the San Francisco 49ers. So was kim Kirkland (total smokeshow). And that’s been straight facts with rick daris. See you all next time.

I kinda remember Shane and Kevin. I remember Kim very well.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
Damn, that Shane guy gets around.

As coach:
Auburn Riverside High School (2001)
Wide receivers coach
Auburn Riverside High School (2002)
Quarterbacks coach
Auburn Riverside High School (2003-2004)
Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach
Michigan (2006)
Offensive quality control coach
San Francisco 49ers (2007–2009)
Chicago Bears (2010–2011)
Quarterbacks coach
Connecticut (2012–2013)
Quarterbacks coach
Washington Redskins (2014–2015)
Assistant offensive line coach
Miami Dolphins (2016–2018)
Tight ends coach
San Francisco 49ers (2019–present)
Quarterbacks coach

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
Here it is.

Description

I was going to order this on Amazon, but the price :eek:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
Damn, that Shane guy gets around.

As coach:
Auburn Riverside High School (2001)
Wide receivers coach
Auburn Riverside High School (2002)
Quarterbacks coach
Auburn Riverside High School (2003-2004)
Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach
Michigan (2006)
San Francisco 49ers (2007–2009)
Chicago Bears (2010–2011)
Quarterbacks coach
Connecticut (2012–2013)
Quarterbacks coach
Washington Redskins (2014–2015)
Assistant offensive line coach
Miami Dolphins (2016–2018)
Tight ends coach
San Francisco 49ers (2019–present)
Quarterbacks coach

Yeah. I think that’s life for a lot of football coaches though.  I happened to be in Chicago with a couple of other mhk buds the weekend of his bachelor party. It was in the basement of some swanky place where we had to have our names on a list and then Shane’s little brother kevin also had to come up to the door to vouch for us. We showed up completely hammered and about fifteen minutes after cutler and Cavalari had left which in retrospect was probably for the best.  And that’s been another segment of facts with daris. Here’s a word from our sponsor.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:11:39 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2021, 11:36:35 PM »
Wait, I missed it, who was the sponsor?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12