Author Topic: I think my kid is Alex P. Keaton  (Read 6102 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think my kid is Alex P. Keaton
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2022, 02:02:11 PM »
Mich, you don’t know anyone who’s doing that right now.

My closest friend, I've known her for 26 years, recently has become aggressively transphobic, like shoehorning anti trans taking points and jokes in places where they don't even fit. We've never had a conversation about how I feel about trans people, but this woman is involved in every aspect of my life, and has been since we've met, she knows I am way left of center, yet she continues with the transphobic crap. In March I was in my car with a couple of colleagues, my phone is always connected on Bluetooth. She opened the call by calling herself a "rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)." I was mortified.

She was in my wedding, she's been around for the birth of all three of my children. My kids love her, her kids love us. She used to be a liberal, she once considered running for local office as a Dem, but she turned maga, but one that doesn't outwardly support trump, will definitely be a Desantis voter. She goes to church every Sunday and one of those people who's facebook isn't overtly political in nature, it's all her family and scripture. Her husband, who I've known just as long, is one who consumes a lot of conservative media, and believes every bit of it.

Anyway, I love them but I don't know what to do about this. I would be okay with all of us just not going there, but with most maga people, they just can't help it. I went to watch her son compete in a state championship earlier this season and they had family members there decked out in maga gear. How can I not wonder what these people say about me and others I care for, when I'm not around?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2022, 02:12:51 PM »
That's awful. I'm sorry to hear.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2022, 02:14:26 PM »
Even if we never discuss politics, I don't have much in common with MAGAs overall. I'm not going to be hanging out with them for plenty of other reasons.
You guys have mixed up the term of "MAGA" so much, it's not even funny anymore. Most of my lefty friends in college, used homophobic slurs (Knowing I had a gay uncle), and act like they're huge LGBTQ+ advocates now. MAGA is pretty much anything that doesn't fit your 2022 agenda these days and that might be more hateful, than how someone votes every 4 years.

By MAGA, I meant the 30-40% of voting Republicans who have been super enthusiastic about Trumpism. I assumed that's what it means to pretty much everyone.

I do not do the same activities as these people. I do not have similar interests. Like, the last movie I wanted to see in the theater was The French Dispatch. Catch my drift?

I have a much broader definition of maga. 70 million people voted for Trump in 2020 after the four years he had as president. I don't even know if I would consider people, as few as there are, like Liz Cheney, who have broken with trump simply because of the two months after the election, as not maga. They supported everything that man was about and somehow threatening democracy was the thing that caused them to breakaway? That's not being disenchanted by trump threatening democracy, they are disenchanted by trump threatening democracy for rich white people. These same people have zero problem with gerrymandering and disenfranchisement of the poor and minorities.

Anyone who supports or supported the trump agenda, is maga, including Ben Sasse. Supporting the agenda while quietly disavowing the language is utterly useless.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2022, 03:46:52 PM »
somehow threatening democracy was the thing that caused them to breakaway?

this makes perfect sense to me and i respect those few republicans that had a line that couldn't be crossed.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2022, 05:50:31 PM »
Everyone I know that proudly calls themselves a Republican is MAGA AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2022, 06:01:07 PM »
Sasse might be the worst maga of all

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2022, 07:24:00 PM »
somehow threatening democracy was the thing that caused them to breakaway?

this makes perfect sense to me and i respect those few republicans that had a line that couldn't be crossed.

My point was the line has been crossed several times before January 6th and none of them cared when it actually effected Americans who don't work in the US Capitol. I don't respect republicans who saw January 6th as a bigger threat to democracy than gerrymandering. January 6th wasn't a threat to democracy, it was a threat to some people in a building in Washington DC. If those people actually killed Pence, Pelosi, AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Bush, Mccarthy, Warren, Raskin, Porter, Warnock, Kinzinger, Schumer, Booker, Schiff, and Jayapal, what would the lasting effect on democracy be? It would certainly be a top 5 all time USA tragedy but do you think that people would stop running for office? Democracy wasn't under threat on January 6th, some people were.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2022, 07:33:56 PM »
January 6th wasn't a threat to democracy, it was a threat to some people in a building in Washington DC.

The riot was only a small part of a much larger Jan 6 criminal scheme. I often get the impression that very few have an idea about what actually happened and it's absolutely maddening.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2022, 07:42:30 PM »
January 6th wasn't a threat to democracy, it was a threat to some people in a building in Washington DC.

The riot was only a small part of a much larger Jan 6 criminal scheme. I often get the impression that very few have an idea about what actually happened and it's absolutely maddening.

My initial post mentioned the two months after the election. Tell me the difference between the things trump bandied around with, but didn't coming close to pulling off, with what Brian Kemp actually did to get elected governor of georgia. crap is on record and no one cared. Ironically enough, if trump actually did pull off stealing the election it would have been in due part to kemp tilting the scales in his favor in his.

If republicans actually cared about all the things trump did to try to steal the election and wanted to ensure it couldn't happen by anyone again then they would just 86 the electoral college. No one seems to care that much.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think my kid is Alex P. Keaton
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2022, 09:13:27 PM »
Sasse might be the worst maga of all
I think anyone but Sasseholes see him for what he is. Almost the prototypical spineless politician.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2023, 07:49:13 AM »
An interesting phenomenon I have observed in myself is that I have become more tolerant of Republican policies as my distaste for Americans has grown over the years.  For example, my son is on this "small government" kick, wanting less spending and more autonomy for the states.  I am starting to agree that the states should be left to fend for themselves more, and less Federal dollars going to the states, but my motivation isn't coming from political philosophy.  Instead, I just don't especially like a bunch of America and I am OK with letting those states fend for themselves.  I love my cousins, but I don't like them all, ya know?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2023, 07:55:40 AM »
An interesting phenomenon I have observed in myself is that I have become more tolerant of Republican policies as my distaste for Americans has grown over the years.  For example, my son is on this "small government" kick, wanting less spending and more autonomy for the states.  I am starting to agree that the states should be left to fend for themselves more, and less Federal dollars going to the states, but my motivation isn't coming from political philosophy.  Instead, I just don't especially like a bunch of America and I am OK with letting those states fend for themselves.  I love my cousins, but I don't like them all, ya know?

I think your son and I would get along well Pete

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
retook.

Ambivalent Right as of 1/9/23