Author Topic: Bucket Mask Reports  (Read 24556 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Bucket Mask Reports
« Reply #350 on: May 11, 2021, 07:24:04 AM »
I was in the KC area last weekend, and the lack of masks in stores was pretty unsettling at first. I’m vaxed and all, so Trim 3:16 and whatnot, but it felt weird.
at this point, i feel a little silly wearing a mask.  seems pretend.
Give’em hell dlew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I screamed at a Subway employee last week while he was making my footlong.  SHOW YOURSELF, COWARD. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »
I was in the KC area last weekend, and the lack of masks in stores was pretty unsettling at first. I’m vaxed and all, so Trim 3:16 and whatnot, but it felt weird.
Give’em hell dlew

my body, my choice!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 11, 2021, 09:57:07 PM »

Why? We know the vaccinated can still spread the virus. There are people out there still who can't get the vaccine as much as they want to. It's just a couple of more months while inside around strangers, you can't possibly be in that position a whole lot.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 11, 2021, 09:59:32 PM »
Who can't get the vaccine, "as much as they want to". 

Name places.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 11, 2021, 10:02:32 PM »

Name places.

I got mine ASAP after they made it available to my age group and I just got my second dose last week. I know people who just got their first the past couple weeks so I think that means they won't get their second for 2-3 weeks.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Bucket Mask Reports
« Reply #355 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:42 PM »

Name places.

I got mine ASAP after they made it available to my age group and I just got my second dose last week. I know people who just got their first the past couple weeks so I think that means they won't get their second for 2-3 weeks.

In the vast majority of places that's just a matter of personal choice.

They're literally shutting down walk in vaccination centers all across the country because of low use.   In many Southern states health officials are begging people, particularly Hispanics and African Americans to get vaccinated.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:35:39 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 11, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »

Name places.

In the vast majority of places that's just a matter of personnel choice.

They're literally shutting down walk in vaccination centers all across the country because of low use.   In many Southern states health officials are begging people, particularly Hispanics and African Americans to get vaccinated.

I know one person who wasn't able to schedule their first shot until this week or last at the earliest, but then they were able to walk into a pharmacy a couple weeks ago and get one. This is the main reason I wouldn't mind seeing mask mandates stick for 2-4 more weeks, so that all adults who want to be vaccinated will have had both shots in their arms for two weeks.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 11, 2021, 10:21:00 PM »

Name places.

Children, people with allergy issues, potentially women trying to get pregnant, potentially people with suppressed immune systems

https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine#

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 12, 2021, 12:02:09 AM »
And you think all these people will be able to get vaccinated in a couple months or that COVID will be gone by then?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 12, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »
And you think all these people will be able to get vaccinated in a couple months or that COVID will be gone by then?

No idea. Maybe. What does it matter? If two years ago someone told a regular person, you singularly have the chance to spare one single person from acquiring a life threatening disease by simply wearing a mask to a grocery store I would have bet 85% of the people would say give me that mask.

Now that we know this is a plausible scenario we have like 60% at best who would mask up here and not only is this now acceptable but we're allowing for excuses for disregarding what should be basic human decency. Why do we need any other reason to wear a mask to The Gap if vaccinated other than courtesy and consideration of others?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 12, 2021, 07:05:31 AM »

Why? We know the vaccinated can still spread the virus.
We do?  I thought the #data was saying that this isn’t the case, or at least it’s overwhelmingly unlikely to happen.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 12, 2021, 07:13:56 AM »
I haven't seen anything definitive on the extent the vaccinated can spread because the approval studies didn't look for asymptomatic cases or community spread.

Maybe there's data from Israel or something? What's your data source, DQ?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 12, 2021, 07:23:25 AM »

No idea. Maybe. What does it matter? If two years ago someone told a regular person, you singularly have the chance to spare one single person from acquiring a life threatening disease by simply wearing a mask to a grocery store I would have bet 85% of the people would say give me that mask.

If they said this without any good data behind it then no, I really don’t think it would have changed anyone’s behavior.

We know it’s possible for a vaccinated person to get COVID, and (I think) we know it’s possible for a vaccinated person to at least shed the virus, but I’m not sure we actually know that a vaccinated person can effectively infect another person with COVID, much less that they can do so in a way that is life threatening (I’m still not clear how viral load plays into the whole thing).

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:44 AM »
I haven't seen anything definitive on the extent the vaccinated can spread because the approval studies didn't look for asymptomatic cases or community spread.

I haven’t seen anything “definitive” either because the science people are (understandably) slow to make anything “definitive.”  But everything I’ve seen suggests that vaccinated people are very unlikely to be infected/spread.

E.g.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals.html

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 12, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »

If they said this without any good data behind it then no, I really don’t think it would have changed anyone’s behavior.

We know it’s possible for a vaccinated person to get COVID, and (I think) we know it’s possible for a vaccinated person to at least shed the virus, but I’m not sure we actually know that a vaccinated person can effectively infect another person with COVID, much less that they can do so in a way that is life threatening (I’m still not clear how viral load plays into the whole thing).

You're giving voice to exactly what I'm talking about, making excuses for doing something that shouldn't remotely be controversial.

Why do we have to wait for research into viral load to be cautious to protect our fellow man? We know breakthrough cases exist, we even know some people have died as a result of breakthrough cases, what more data do you need to wear a mask while getting some eggs or wall anchors?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 12, 2021, 09:00:14 AM »

I haven’t seen anything “definitive” either because the science people are (understandably) slow to make anything “definitive.”  But everything I’ve seen suggests that vaccinated people are very unlikely to be infected/spread.

E.g.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individuals.html
:thumbs:

I think both of these stances are reasonable in our current state

The emerging data confirms what many of us thought would be the case—that not only do the vaccines stop symptomatic COVID, but they also make it highly unlikely that someone can even be infected at all.

I think the preponderance of the evidence supports the fact that vaccinated individuals are not able to spread the virus

Current guidance states that even fully vaccinated individuals should continue to wear masks and social distance. What’s the logic behind that?
Operationally, it is very challenging to know who is vaccinated and who is not, so the guidance in public places likely will be slow to change until more people are vaccinated. You can’t expect a cashier to ask for proof of vaccination.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:15:40 AM by michigancat »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »

You're giving voice to exactly what I'm talking about, making excuses for doing something that shouldn't remotely be controversial.

Why do we have to wait for research into viral load to be cautious to protect our fellow man? We know breakthrough cases exist, we even know some people have died as a result of breakthrough cases, what more data do you need to wear a mask while getting some eggs or wall anchors?
1. I’ve already posted my general approach to mask wearing in here, which is pretty much anywhere indoors.

2. The problem is that in the absence of good data you are just picking and choosing what people should be overly cautious about.

A far better approach to public health would be to focus on reinforcing behaviors that have the most significant effects on overall health of the community. You’re not going to accomplish anything if the message is people should take every precaution they can until science confirms it’s 100% safe.

All the focus right now should be encouraging people to get vaccinated. After we’ve exhausted that then maybe we can move on to just encouraging better heart health or something. Then let’s start pushing mask use again when flu season comes back around.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 12, 2021, 09:54:32 AM »

1. I’ve already posted my general approach to mask wearing in here, which is pretty much anywhere indoors.

2. The problem is that in the absence of good data you are just picking and choosing what people should be overly cautious about.

A far better approach to public health would be to focus on reinforcing behaviors that have the most significant effects on overall health of the community. You’re not going to accomplish anything if the message is people should take every precaution they can until science confirms it’s 100% safe.

All the focus right now should be encouraging people to get vaccinated. After we’ve exhausted that then maybe we can move on to just encouraging better heart health or something. Then let’s start pushing mask use again when flu season comes back around.
This is the bottom line.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »

E.g.

The emerging data confirms what many of us thought would be the case—that not only do the vaccines stop symptomatic COVID, but they also make it highly unlikely that someone can even be infected at all.

I think the preponderance of the evidence supports the fact that vaccinated individuals are not able to spread the virus

Current guidance states that even fully vaccinated individuals should continue to wear masks and social distance. What’s the logic behind that?
Operationally, it is very challenging to know who is vaccinated and who is not, so the guidance in public places likely will be slow to change until more people are vaccinated. You can’t expect a cashier to ask for proof of vaccination.
Yeah and I get the referenced "operational" logic, but if that's the main reason, that's why it feels a little silly.  Apart from some tenuous, macro level benefit at the societal level (i.e. "me wearing the mask indirectly encourages others (who are not vaccinated) wear the mask"), it feels like me wearing this mask isn't actually directly preventing anyone else from getting sick (or at least not at any statistically significant level).

I'm not saying I'm some ardent anti-masker.  I've been religious about private/public mask rules for over a year now.  It's a minor annoyance at most. But it does feel like a hollow exercise.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »

E.g.

Yeah and I get the referenced "operational" logic, but if that's the main reason, that's why it feels a little silly.  Apart from some tenuous, macro level benefit at the societal level (i.e. "me wearing the mask indirectly encourages others (who are not vaccinated) wear the mask"), it feels like me wearing this mask isn't actually directly preventing anyone else from getting sick (or at least not at any statistically significant level).

I'm not saying I'm some ardent anti-masker.  I've been religious about private/public mask rules for over a year now.  It's a minor annoyance at most. But it does feel like a hollow exercise.

I think there's three main reasons that all work together:

1) the data still isn't conclusive (granted, it's very encouraging, but that doctor definitely said she "thinks" evidence points to no transmission and the study linked actually didn't track community spread (it also didn't account for J&J)
2) no way to know who's vaccinated + children and adolescents haven't been vaccinated (adolescents could be visiting or working at these establishments)
3) It's a minor annoyance at worst (that is also pretty cheap). Wearing a mask at Best Buy or Subway costs the economy like, nothing at all

the three are tied together, and really if you remove one of them from the equation (say conclusive data, 80% vax rates, or expensive inconvenient masks) then I'd agree are probably silly for the most part. Especially when adolescents and kids are able to get fully vaxxed.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 12, 2021, 11:26:41 PM »
Yesterday I didn't wear a mask at Lowe's but I DID wear a mask at Home Depot. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 13, 2021, 05:20:55 AM »
Yeah, that adds up

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 13, 2021, 12:51:20 PM »
Hell yeah, vaccine passport here I come

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 13, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
 :party: