Author Topic: political hobbyist thread  (Read 28696 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: political hobbyist thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:16 PM »
That was a good interview and I agree with pretty much all of it. The only issue I have is they didn't really get into why Biden won instead of why the progressives lost. Grunwald kind of addressed an adjacent point early in the interview, but if your would have replaced Joe Biden with another sturdy, known moderate without a close tie to Obama, someone like Tim Kaine, one of the progressives win. I don't think the messaging was the issue. The exit polling data and Biden's move left prove that the country is ready to move left as well, but Biden being a comfortable, but well worn blanket, carried the day.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 10:21:57 PM »
It was smart of AOC to identify as a Democrat, because most Democrats do believe the things that progressives believe.

Exactly. The Democratic Party is full of progressive ideas (just like the Republican Party is full of backward looking ideas). It's part of the party identity. I don't understand how people could be completely unaware of that or not care about it or want to dismiss it.

I’d propose a focus on paid family leave and childcare; ambitious climate action and clean energy; and lowering drug prices.

Pollsters seem to think that two HUGE winning issues for Democrats in 2020 are climate and healthcare.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 09:26:46 PM »
we've gotta get money out of politics.

https://twitter.com/dbroockman/status/1254924462194974721
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
I thought this was interesting. Seems like it could do long term damage if correct. The demographics of the changing polls might be informative.

https://twitter.com/cjane87/status/1256211789076930565

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 10:17:06 AM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 10:29:45 AM »
Well President T can rest assured he’ll always have his guy Dax
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 03:27:51 PM »
Do you all think these numbers will actually hold true in the general election? I would assume that a reduction in support for trump does not equal an increase in Democrat support.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
I think those favorability numbers will come back up like usual. My feeling is less that these people are thinking he sucks ass and more that they wish he'd stop saying crazy crap on camera, like usual.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
one of the predictions i'm most confident in for the 2020 election is that third party vote share will be down compared to 2016.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »
shor is one of the more interesting people i've encountered on twitter and this is an interesting tweet.

https://twitter.com/davidshor/status/1258756577877725190

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »
yes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »
DC literally has "Taxation without Representation" on their license plates. It not being a state today is the dumbest rough ridin' thing ever.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »
good thread, better essay.

In a nutshell, she finds that financial wellbeing had little impact on candidate preference.  Instead, she writes, their votes were related to positions “on issues related to American global dominance and the rise of a majority-minority America.”

While racial status threat and global status threat are different issues, they can clearly be intertwined in the minds of whites who feel they are the prototypical Americans and therefore have the most to lose if their country is no longer dominant.  Mutz makes clear that whites’ protecting their dominant status isn’t an act of old-fashioned racism that assumed minorities were morally and intellectually inferior.  Indeed, in this case, whites are seeing threats coming from nonwhite domestic groups and foreign nations sufficiently capable of displacing them.

https://twitter.com/madrid_mike/status/1259870726854569985

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
That quoted text is similar to stuff Bannon says.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1260699639520649217

i have a couple of beto related thoughts on this:

1.  this is one of a couple reasons i became convinced, posthoc, that beto would not have been as good of a general election candidate as i thought i year ago, and part of why biden is a better general election candidate than i thought a year ago.

2.  a lot of people make a big deal about beto's outspoken rhetoric on guns being politically damaging to him, and i'm fairly convinced they're mostly wrong.  but almost no one talks about his emphasis on race, which i think is a good bit more damaging (and conceivably may have cost him the senate race in 2018).

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 08:12:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1260699639520649217

i have a couple of beto related thoughts on this:

1.  this is one of a couple reasons i became convinced, posthoc, that beto would not have been as good of a general election candidate as i thought i year ago, and part of why biden is a better general election candidate than i thought a year ago.

2.  a lot of people make a big deal about beto's outspoken rhetoric on guns being politically damaging to him, and i'm fairly convinced they're mostly wrong.  but almost no one talks about his emphasis on race, which i think is a good bit more damaging (and conceivably may have cost him the senate race in 2018).

I think talking about guns in that light is undoubtedly a net loss from a voter perspective, unless you are a far left candidate (and even then it might be)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
it might be a net loss (though i'm not sure of that), but if so, i think it's a small one in a place like texas.  not many voters highly motivated on that issue that are gettable votes for a dem candidate.  more of an alienating issue in places like the northeast or the upper midwest where there are still rural and exurban white male dems.

i also think it's an interesting issue because it's one of a fairly small number of issues that unifies disparate elements of the dem coalition.  biden is somewhat quietly leaning into gun control because they think it's something that can motivate young dem voters for him.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
https://twitter.com/madrid_mike/status/1259870726854569985

Very interesting and insightful by Rodriguez.

Mutz makes clear that whites’ protecting their dominant status isn’t an act of old-fashioned racism that assumed minorities were morally and intellectually inferior.  Indeed, in this case, whites are seeing threats coming from nonwhite domestic groups and foreign nations sufficiently capable of displacing them.

One quibble. I'm not sure there's ultimately much difference between old timey and modern day white supremacy/nativism. All of it has always been about protecting the dominant status of whites.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile