Author Topic: political hobbyist thread  (Read 11422 times)

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: political hobbyist thread
« Reply #275 on: March 30, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
On continued observation got me thinking more about rent seeking/speculation and what personal property taxes or a LVT are. DSA guy believes very much that wealthy people are driving up prices by holding onto what is now valuable property and not allowing it to be put to use. Which is a thing that makes sense as being possible and I'm sure is occurring, but I have no idea of the magnitude or if this is another flavor of eating the rich as the simple solution/capitalism sux.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 30, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »
On continued observation got me thinking more about rent seeking/speculation and what personal property taxes or a LVT are. DSA guy believes very much that wealthy people are driving up prices by holding onto what is now valuable property and not allowing it to be put to use. Which is a thing that makes sense as being possible and I'm sure is occurring, but I have no idea of the magnitude or if this is another flavor of eating the rich as the simple solution/capitalism sux.
There is a lot of rich (and also foreign rich) money tied up in high rise condos that get little use in Chicago and NYC. I assume this is true in other large cities as well.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2021, 12:49:36 PM »
There is a lot of rich (and also foreign rich) money tied up in high rise condos that get little use in Chicago and NYC. I assume this is true in other large cities as well.

you also see quite a few instances of ludicrous rent increase -> eviction -> property sits vacant for months for commercial storefronts in high-rent areas.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2021, 06:28:28 PM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
The only thing standing between michigancat and a 5000 sq ft place in cow hollow is zoning laws

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2021, 08:04:46 PM »
Debt ceiling chicken would be pretty lol/poignant way to end the filibuster

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2021/03/16/senate-republicans-plot-their-covid-aid-payback-476429

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 25, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »
i found this interesting.  i'm not wholly convinced on the sort of catholic right's providence from, or convergence with, puritanism, but the sort of instinctual, individualistic libertarianishness of trump's base strikes me as both accurate and consequential.

"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Offline Chingon

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

Offline Chingon

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2021, 10:31:36 AM »
This has been brewing for a long time.  The influence of Moldbug et al is quite significant these days.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 12, 2021, 07:28:26 PM »
"a lot of political rhetoric is picking a slice of "elites" and positioning yourselves against them."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2021, 12:51:48 AM »
No thanks.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2021, 06:23:56 AM »
I'm kinda jealous of the Alaska final four elections. It's interesting that I've heard weaker political parties be the cause and solution to extreme partisanship.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 13, 2021, 08:34:39 PM »
I'm kinda jealous of the Alaska final four elections. It's interesting that I've heard weaker political parties be the cause and solution to extreme partisanship.

Yes, I think that's right, however a meeting in the middle isn't ideal for people who are looking for transformative changes. For all of the partisanship of the last two decades or so, policy wise there has been very little difference on how the parties have governed and approached policy.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 14, 2021, 08:13:30 PM »
 :Ughhh:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 14, 2021, 08:19:12 PM »
White people in one of the most segregated states in America are scared of black people? NOWAY

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »
Will you enjoy this trip down memory lane, I did.

Chafee and Dole had collaborated on legislation resembling the Heritage plan with tax credits and an individual mandate. After Kristol’s memo, Dole retreated. 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/05/22/health-care-individual-mandate-policy-conservative-idea-history-489956

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
The subtext of how change occurs and how heterogenous should advocacy and its persuasive forms be is all there.

Invalid Tweet ID
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:28:32 PM by memphis »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gucci Mane Book Reader
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 10, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
Despite it always being all over twitter, I do my best to ignore New York politics. However, the issue of whether or not Eric Adams lives in New Jersey has caught my attention for it silliness.

vvv thread vvv

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 10, 2021, 12:55:54 PM »
Despite it always being all over twitter, I do my best to ignore New York politics. However, the issue of whether or not Eric Adams lives in New Jersey has caught my attention for it silliness.

vvv thread vvv

That's wild. A while back two candidates thought the median home sale price on Brooklyn was under $100k, which was also pretty great.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/5/11/andrew-yang-nails-brooklyn-house-price-query-in-nyc-mayoral-race

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 10, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »
he lives in his office.  i don't really get why this is being treated like a big mystery.

"it doesn't really look like this dude lives in this apt he owns that is his legal residence."

"yeah, he openly lives in his office.  everyone knows about it."

"oh, yeah.   :dunno:

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2021, 07:38:29 AM »
TLDR, multi member districts + ranked choice voting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
Is this considered an HR 1 compromise? If not, why bother.

Offline memphis

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »
Compromise is maybe the wrong word (I don't know of explicit cross aisle support in Congress), more like alternative with little signal boost thrown out by some dems.

Still think it makes a lot of sense from an incentives and how to turn down the heat on redistricting/gerrymandering pov. I'm sure there are potential downsides with weird outcomes being possible from RCV+MMD.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2021, 09:09:44 PM »
I like the concept of RCV, never done it so I can't speak to the actual process or execution. It seems to me that RCV is more effective in local races, and maybe some state races. I don't know how it would help at all in gerrymandered house races, the point of gerrymandering is to get as many like minded, homogeneous voters in one race. RCV doesn't change that. Also with house and senate races the two parties will still coalesce around their chosen candidate.