Author Topic: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?  (Read 56435 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2021, 02:53:56 PM »
let's not pit this bad boy up, i shouldn't have either
Sorry, it's true tho. Not having access to the pit, means I bring a little bit of it up here from time to time and i'm just astonished with some of the ppl who are guilt free with jumping in front of the vaccine line. I'LL STOP NOW. :buh-bye:

Nobody is advocating for jumping lines though.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
Actually, most are advocating that old people be able to jump the line.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2021, 03:38:10 PM »
https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article248774730.html

lucky bastards

If you can volunteer your arm in place of a trash can, do it.

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services said that the pharmacy did the right thing. Getting the vaccine into priority groups remains the state’s primary goal, said spokeswoman Lisa Cox, but if, on occasion, extra vaccine is in peril of going unused, it’s better to use that vaccine than not.

“Ultimately, our main concern is not allowing for wastage,” Cox said. “So if they run into that predicament where they the just need to make sure it’s not wasted and it can be used to vaccinate people, that’s what they need to do — whatever means necessary. I’m encouraged that they found a way to get it into arms.”

Once thawed, vials should not be refrozen. If a vial is punctured, it must be disposed of within six hours.

“Someone doesn’t show up, and there is an extra dose,” Cox said, “if they can find an arm, no matter what priority group that person is in, that’s what we would advise them to do.”
Good to see some common sense from the State Health Dept. I've seen states file charges when pharmacies did this.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
why is there not a standby list you can get on with your county, where they call you and give you 4 hours (or whatever) to come in and get jabbed before they throw the unused jabs away

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 28, 2021, 03:52:22 PM »
Good to see some common sense from the State Health Dept. I've seen states file charges when pharmacies did this.

Yes, I think the trend is shifting much more now to what was said by the Missouri rep now, because...

Actually, most are advocating that old people be able to jump the line.

Ideally, the line would be some physical or other line of old people that can be called in/up whenever there are 'chips available sooner for them than anticipated.  With how poorly things started, a lot of nursing homes and similar that are at the top of the list naturally started double- or triple-booking in-house 'chip appointments and went with whoever got their first to be safe.  The others they booked often can't just show up elsewhere and do the exact same project, and certainly not without not having enough or ending up with excess. 

I think now that it's more understood that there are simultaneously shortages and still 'chips going to waste, most states are taking that Missouri approach that any arm is better than a dumpster.

It's a little better now where most states' priority category is straight age as opposed to physically being in a nursing home.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »
why is there not a standby list you can get on with your county, where they call you and give you 4 hours (or whatever) to come in and get jabbed before they throw the unused jabs away

It'd be better if it was 10-15 minutes, so that if you don't get there, they ping the next person.  Otherwise, you're going to have a whole lot of people showing up for nothing over the course of 4 hours or whatever.  Obviously most people who'd sign up for that aren't going to mind wasted trips, but you'd still be causing a situation where a bunch of people show up at once to one spot, and that's be a catastrophe if they spread COVID to each other doing so.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2021, 04:14:50 PM »

It'd be better if it was 10-15 minutes, so that if you don't get there, they ping the next person.  Otherwise, you're going to have a whole lot of people showing up for nothing over the course of 4 hours or whatever.  Obviously most people who'd sign up for that aren't going to mind wasted trips, but you'd still be causing a situation where a bunch of people show up at once to one spot, and that's be a catastrophe if they spread COVID to each other doing so.

One of the hospital groups here in Denver is doing just that.  They have a sign up online for when someone misses their appt they will call you and you have 15 min to get there.  Anyone who wants can sign up.  They obviously go down the list in order of who has signed up.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2021, 04:44:01 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:49 PM »
I think the point is, if you have access to one (and not a front line worker) and you're in your 40's or younger, with good health and you're checking in to brag about your vaccine shot, it's a super doucher move and you don't care about others like you try and proclaim you do.
I don’t know if you are talking to me, but in case you are, I’ve been working like 6am to 4pm everyday in a room full of other people in a building full of other people potentially exposing my whole family including my retired mom who was watching my kids 3 days a week while my wife and I went to work.

I don’t begrudge people that have been lucky enough to keep employed and also have had the ability to work remote, but anyone that wants to talk crap on me getting a vaccine can eff themselves sore.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2021, 07:20:22 PM »
I think the point is, if you have access to one (and not a front line worker) and you're in your 40's or younger, with good health and you're checking in to brag about your vaccine shot, it's a super doucher move and you don't care about others like you try and proclaim you do.
I don’t know if you are talking to me, but in case you are, I’ve been working like 6am to 4pm everyday in a room full of other people in a building for of other people potentially exposing my whole family including my retired mom who was watching my kids 3 days a week while my wife and I went to work.

I don’t begrudge people that have been lucky enough to keep employed and also have had the ability to work remote, but anyone that wants to talk crap on me getting a vaccine can eff themselves sore.
He's referring to trim

Also, is there data on "wasted"/expired doses? I can't imagine a significant percentage is expiring

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
All of my family members that have gotten it have all fully recovered now, which is good.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:55 PM »
I don’t know if you are talking to me, but in case you are, I’ve been working like 6am to 4pm everyday in a room full of other people in a building for of other people potentially exposing my whole family including my retired mom who was watching my kids 3 days a week while my wife and I went to work.

He's referring to trim

Also, is there data on "wasted"/expired doses? I can't imagine a significant percentage is expiring
I feel like an idiot now.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »
All of my family members that have gotten it have all fully recovered now, which is good.

that's great news. happy to hear that DBT.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2021, 08:35:52 PM »

He's referring to trim

I wasn’t referring to either. I honestly can’t remember the last time I’ve interacted with you on this board, KK. I have no problem with you at all. Rage and Phil and TBT for that matter were pretty proactive to tell ppl to stay home in the pit when this crap started a year ago. Holding moral high ground that you’re killing others when you step out of the house. Other Twitter peeps who are casual encounters here, who also have been lecturing others about the pandemic, seem fine now with cutting in line. I just find it a coincidence, that’s all. Happy you got it, KK. I highly doubt Trim needs to cut in line, but it’s whatever. I’ve been trying to leave grudges behind since 2020 (July).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:54:02 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2021, 08:42:22 PM »
I don't believe I have ever told anyone on the board to stay home, fwiw.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2021, 08:44:55 PM »
I don't believe I have ever told anyone on the board to stay home, fwiw.
Half your posts are pit stuff, bud. Lecturing morally right crap. You honestly proved today you don’t care about either if you can be first in line. What a humanitarian!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2021, 09:07:43 PM »
My parents (60's) had my sister's family (3 school age kids) over to watch football on Saturday. My 13 year old niece had a cough. Today she tested positive for covid  :dubious:

well hope your folks are negative at least.
Brother in law has it too. Parents tested negative luckily.

so its been 10 days since my symptomatic niece tested positive, and now my parents are taking her out for an event while the rest of her family quarantines. This is apparently what the kansas health department is telling people to do? Just wait 10 days after a positive test and then hit the streets? Not 10 days after symptoms end or 10 days and then you can test out with a negative test or tests?
Is this cool? Its just crazy compared to here where you have to isolate for 14 days and then test out with a negative test.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2021, 09:12:32 PM »
Yeah, I think it's 10 days from first symptoms.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
i've probably been over influenced by msm fear articles about the handful of isolated examples of people being contagious for prolonged periods of time. i'm sure the percentages are favorable? it just feels icky to go out with old people when you still live in a house full of contagious and symptomatic people even if you have recovered.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2021, 09:19:44 PM »

I think I'd read something here about how after the initial clusterfucks, the state was requiring (?) providers to be using 95% of their allotments.  So if that's the case, I'd say the % that was getting wasted before that and deemed unacceptable was something a decent amount higher than 5%, and that even now 5% is acceptable?

A crazy thing was that failure to stay at 95%+ carried the consequence of getting cut out from being a chip installer.  If you don't have better people to take their place, who would that really serve?  If there are better people out there, use them too right now!

I think even 1% wasted is too much, especially now that the hardest parts are wrapping up and a lot of kinks should be worked out.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2021, 09:26:02 PM »
i've probably been over influenced by msm fear articles about the handful of isolated examples of people being contagious for prolonged periods of time. i'm sure the percentages are favorable? it just feels icky to go out with old people when you still live in a house full of contagious and symptomatic people even if you have recovered.
We flew to Colorado and Florida this year and hung out at secluded condos, hugged family members this year too, etc. Still no symptoms. This thing is what you all want it to be. Wear a mask and live your life.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:38 PM »

I think I'd read something here about how after the initial clusterfucks, the state was requiring (?) providers to be using 95% of their allotments.  So if that's the case, I'd say the % that was getting wasted before that and deemed unacceptable was something a decent amount higher than 5%, and that even now 5% is acceptable?

A crazy thing was that failure to stay at 95%+ carried the consequence of getting cut out from being a chip installer.  If you don't have better people to take their place, who would that really serve?  If there are better people out there, use them too right now!

I think even 1% wasted is too much, especially now that the hardest parts are wrapping up and a lot of kinks should be worked out.
I think it's quite a bit less than 1%... Data by state isn't great but Pennsylvania had to throw out 0.1% because of broken vials

https://www.propublica.org/article/covid-vaccine-wastage

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:23 PM »
We flew to Colorado and Florida this year and hung out at secluded condos, hugged family members this year too, etc. Still no symptoms. This thing is what you all want it to be. Wear a mask and live your life.

thats all good of course, but not really comparable to what i am whining about. If people had enough common sense to not bring their sypmtomatic kid over to their 65 year old parents house to watch a football game, we wouldnt need the GOV to try to impose lockdowns.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2021, 09:45:03 PM »

I think it's quite a bit less than 1%... Data by state isn't great but Pennsylvania had to throw out 0.1% because of broken vials

https://www.propublica.org/article/covid-vaccine-wastage

As reports emerge across the country of health facilities throwing out unused and spoiled COVID-19 vaccines, some state governments are failing to track the wastage as required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, leaving officials coordinating immunization efforts blind to exactly how many of the precious, limited doses are going into the trash and why.

In Washington, a health facility allegedly threw out some COVID-19 vaccine doses at the end of workers’ shifts because staff believed state guidelines blocked them from giving unused shots to people below the top priority tier. In Maryland, workers appear to have tossed thawed doses when they ran out of time to administer them safely. How many doses, exactly, have been wasted in those states is unknown because neither state is tracking unused or wasted vaccines.

From the linked story for their WA example:

Washington State Hospital Association CEO Cassie Sauer said if this happens, it’s only a few doses at a time.

“If you’re doing 500, 700 doses a day, to end up at the end of the day with three leftovers, you know, we’d like there to be zero but that’s a hard ratio to hit,” Sauer said.

Believe me or don't believe me, but I can tell you that the ratios have been consisting of numerators higher than 3 and denominators much less than 500-700.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2021, 09:52:21 PM »
I'm sure there are incompetent states and/or providers that waste more than they need to but I don't believe that nationwide anywhere close to 1% of doses are wasted because they can't given them all away at the end of a shift