Poll

Have you been furloughed or lost massive revenue during this pandemic?

Yes
2 (3.9%)
No
44 (86.3%)
Kinda
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Have you been furloughed or loss massive revenue during this pandemic?  (Read 18233 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Not trolling at all, my company just had it's best sales month in two years, construction seems unstoppable right now. I anticipated that people would start to pull back projects but it's been very minimal thus far.

I bet if you redid the poll now, you'd get different answers. My corporate peeps have almost all had temp salary reductions and/or layoffs to other workers. The service industry people I know were all doing it as a second job for spending money, so while they've been affected they still have income enough to get by.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm really happy for people that they haven't been affected, but this poll still blows my mind. Maybe if a more favorable poster started this thread, the numbers would be different, not sure. 35 Million have filed for unemployment so far. I know we have some successful sales guys on this troll blog too and you can't tell me people are buying right now. Anyways, i'm happy many of you have strong employers. Maybe it's a industry thing too. K-State is a huge engineering school as well.

I am definitely worried about the short to medium term but nothing has happened yet. It definitely has a far reach, but a lot of pain hasn't hit yet. You were definitely on the front lines, but hopefully you are at the front of the line back.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Well said. Hoping for the best for all of us. That’s awesome, lib! :cheers:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
I'm really happy for people that they haven't been affected, but this poll still blows my mind. Maybe if a more favorable poster started this thread, the numbers would be different, not sure. 35 Million have filed for unemployment so far. I know we have some successful sales guys on this troll blog too and you can't tell me people are buying right now. Anyways, i'm happy many of you have strong employers. Maybe it's a industry thing too. K-State is a huge engineering school as well.
idk, the poll is kind of worded weird. I have no idea if my company has lost massive revenue or not. They aren't acting like it. Its business as usual for me other than working from home which I think is the cats ass.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Yeah, I should have reworded it differently. I know many who are taking pay cuts and/or losing bonuses/commissions during this time. Apparently my company furloughed 90% of their people and had our execs take pay cuts during this time. Our weekly calls sound optimistic for the future moving forward, but they're having to plan for new budgets for PPE in our offices now. They're forecasting 500K-1 Million dollars needed to invest into it. It's going to be interesting how the company looks moving forward.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Not trolling at all, my company just had it's best sales month in two years, construction seems unstoppable right now. I anticipated that people would start to pull back projects but it's been very minimal thus far.

I bet if you redid the poll now, you'd get different answers. My corporate peeps have almost all had temp salary reductions and/or layoffs to other workers. The service industry people I know were all doing it as a second job for spending money, so while they've been affected they still have income enough to get by.

Construction lags architecture.  Architecture has had a really bad couple of months for new billings.  We (eng.) haven't slowed down much yet, but I'm not optimistic.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Construction lags architecture.  Architecture has had a really bad couple of months for new billings.  We (eng.) haven't slowed down much yet, but I'm not optimistic.

A good friend is a large-scale construction scheduler and he's had jobs cancelled. I think office construction will get hit hard because the workplace will change so much and it isn't clear what it will be like.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
When we go back they have already laid out some of the guidelines that we will follow.  They are also going to give us masks and gloves(optional) when we go back.  Not quite sure what groups will go back first but we all won't go back at the same time, maybe on Mon/Wed a group will go and Tues/Thurs another group.  It's going to be a little strange.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hotel industry is absolutely mumped right now but for some reason, my company keeps paying me and has only done paycuts.  I expect that to change pretty soon.

95% of hospitality people I know are furloughed and 4% are at about 20% of their pay. You are truly the 1%

I have a more corporate position and am with a company that franchises far more than manages properties.  It has saved a lot of people in our company for the time being.  Pretty much all my friends/former coworkers at properties are gone.

I'm pretty pessimistic about the rebound of hospitality.  I hope those I know who are mostly in sales can get back in late summer and start the rebound.

It's going to be challenging for sure.  I know bigger convention destinations, Vegas in particular, are worried that they will never fully recover to what they were.  The thought is that even the biggest conventions will be 20% smaller.  Some people aren't going to feel comfortable travelling for a long time.  A lot of companies aren't going to have the same budgets to put people on the road once it's safe again and some are figuring out that they can do some of the same things remotely.

China hotel numbers came back to about 70% of where they were after 3 months, which would put us on track for mid-June if we discount a billion other variables.

Yeah, this.

I've had the opposite - there's a shitload that we just can't do remotely, or at least it takes twice as long.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

I think if you posted a new poll today the results would be a lot different. A lot of furloughs are just now being announced, and obviously a lot were done after your poll started and people responded.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think if you posted a new poll today the results would be a lot different. A lot of furloughs are just now being announced, and obviously a lot were done after your poll started and people responded.

yep. I was even surprised at the results when I voted way back when.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah, a poll where people could change their response would work better.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

Definitely, we are good for the next 12 months just for existing projects but I'm moderately concerned about what happens if the economy doesn't start to rebound in a few months.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
No, and if anything, power plants seem to be even busier/require more attention than ever, for somewhat obvious reasons.

Have you seen this yet:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-securing-united-states-bulk-power-system/

How does this effect what you do?
bears are fast...

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Right now my company is breaking all time bandwidth utilization records. 

I will be happy to discuss how Kansas State University could be uniquely positioned to thrive in a post Covid 19 world or at least in a Post Covid 19 substantial morbidity world. 

I can lay it out college by college. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

I will be happy to discuss how Kansas State University could be uniquely positioned to thrive in a post Covid 19 world or at least in a Post Covid 19 substantial morbidity world. 

Do it.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Oil & gas is a bloodbath right now. I suppose I should be happy to still have a job.

All bonuses have been eliminated for the year. I never relied upon the annual bonus to maintain my current standard of living, but a large number of folks do as it makes up anywhere from 10-30% of total comp for the majority of people. Normal stock payouts are based on shares and not value so another hit there. Have been told to expect no/minimal salary increase for 2021.

No layoffs/furloughs yet, but rumors are those are coming but will start with voluntary severance packages.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I am starting to get pretty concerned about Kansas State.
Hearing ten week furloughs for people. Health insurance covered for one month. Something like a $30 million cut.

For which people at K-State?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Type it up but instead of hitting send copy and paste in an email to whoever the highest ranking official at KSU you feel is competent.  I’m guessing it won’t be the UP.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
idk, the poll is kind of worded weird. I have no idea if my company has lost massive revenue or not. They aren't acting like it. Its business as usual for me other than working from home which I think is the cats ass.

is....is this a good or bad thing?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Polls don’t work on Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Hotel industry is absolutely mumped right now but for some reason, my company keeps paying me and has only done paycuts.  I expect that to change pretty soon.

95% of hospitality people I know are furloughed and 4% are at about 20% of their pay. You are truly the 1%

I have a more corporate position and am with a company that franchises far more than manages properties.  It has saved a lot of people in our company for the time being.  Pretty much all my friends/former coworkers at properties are gone.

I'm pretty pessimistic about the rebound of hospitality.  I hope those I know who are mostly in sales can get back in late summer and start the rebound.

It's going to be challenging for sure.  I know bigger convention destinations, Vegas in particular, are worried that they will never fully recover to what they were.  The thought is that even the biggest conventions will be 20% smaller.  Some people aren't going to feel comfortable travelling for a long time.  A lot of companies aren't going to have the same budgets to put people on the road once it's safe again and some are figuring out that they can do some of the same things remotely.

China hotel numbers came back to about 70% of where they were after 3 months, which would put us on track for mid-June if we discount a billion other variables.

Yeah, this.

This exact thing was said after 9/11.  In-person conferences aren't going away.  2020 is basically shot though

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The cost savings being realized by forced virtual work is not going to be easy to give up. Especially in industries that are going to see reduced revenue coming out of this. Commercial real estate is going to be in bad shape imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Yeah, this.

This exact thing was said after 9/11.  In-person conferences aren't going away.  2020 is basically shot though

I didn’t even have a cell phone 01.  Now my cellphone can do what a super computer could do.