before 00:01 4-5-2020
4 (30.8%)
on 4-5-2020
4 (30.8%)
after 4-5-2020
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 02, 2020, 10:22:45 PM

Author Topic: 24 hour quick poll on kdub's death total  (Read 11604 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: 24 hour quick poll on kdub's death total
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »
Link to the "we are down 15k flu deaths per week" claim?

i think they are talking about both a link bp left in the coronavirus thread and the graphic here and mixing them up a bit.  didn't open the link, so not positive.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. That would mean more flu deaths in a month than in a typical flu season.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »

i think they are talking about both a link bp left in the coronavirus thread and the graphic here and mixing them up a bit.  didn't open the link, so not positive.

The truth is...  NOBODY rough ridin' KNOWS how many deaths there are due to COVID-19. 

We've got Governors (CT) claiming infants died of COVID-19 when the child was smothered by a caregiver and now the CDC instructing hospitals to claim COVID as cause of death even when only "assumed" but not confirmed.

bears are fast...

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 03:39:29 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. That would mean more flu deaths in a month than in a typical flu season.

I agree. It doesn't make sense especially based on the estimate of 24k-63k total for the season per https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

When I posted the infographic, I took it to mean "ALL DEATHS" regardless of cause and only pivoted to flu as that's what catastrophe chose to focus on per the graphic.

A 15k per week decrease in ALL DEATHS  makes a crap ton of sense though
bears are fast...

Online kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »
I feel like ppl should take the Sunday numbers from the hard hit European countries w a grain of salt.  Like france had 3 consecutive days of 1k deaths and today they’re reporting 518.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2020, 03:44:26 PM »
I feel like ppl should take the Sunday numbers from the hard hit European countries w a grain of salt.  Like france had 3 consecutive days of 1k deaths and today they’re reporting 518.

Completely agree...   Literally all of the reported numbers from every country around the globe (USA included) feel very much like looking to a KU football box score for "game attendance".
bears are fast...

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »

crap, I dunno...  I thought it was "all deaths".

castastrophe claimed its just flu deaths per the links in the infographic above.

Either way, this pandemic has saved a crap ton of lives, amirite?

Well I never claimed that.  I just said the sources cited suggested it.  I did try to click through and the CDC does provide a spreadsheet of historical flu related information, including a column titled "all deaths."  However, it's not at all clear what exactly that number represents.  When you search for death statistics on the CDC website, the latest report is from 2018, so it seems like it takes some time to pull together reliable information.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/deaths.htm

Online kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »

Completely agree...   Literally all of the reported numbers from every country around the globe (USA included) feel very much like looking to a KU football box score for "game attendance".

We’re saying the exact opposite things.  They’re under reporting.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 06:59:26 PM »

We’re saying the exact opposite things.  They’re under reporting.

Thanks for completely missing the point...  both are "mis-reporting", fairly dramatically.

:buh-bye:
bears are fast...

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »
how "all deaths" are impacted by this is going to be really interesting
murder: down probably?
suicide: sharply up
heart disease: die of covid instead
car crash: way down
forklift accident: up
PTO shaft: flat
choking on food: maybe up
drugs: down? supply chains disrupted
booze: up, mission essential  :drink:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 12:03:22 AM »
9618 on worldometer
9643 on johns hopkins

i had 4/5 as the middle option because i thought it was the most likely, so this is good news compared to my expectation.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 12:19:39 AM »
how "all deaths" are impacted by this is going to be really interesting
murder: down probably?
suicide: sharply up
heart disease: die of covid instead
car crash: way down
forklift accident: up
PTO shaft: flat
choking on food: maybe up
drugs: down? supply chains disrupted
booze: up, mission essential  :drink:

im v interested in this as well.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 12:26:02 AM »
if you are choking on a riblet in an applebees, there is at least a chance that there is a doctor in the house

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 12:26:59 AM »
Don't think this is worth its own thread, so I'll post here. Kinda morbid, but also pragmatic thought.

People are getting too good at warding off death. So good that we are overpopulating earth and draining her resources. Is 'rona mother nature's latest and best attempt to cull our herd and save herself?

Put another way, it's like how they keep preventing forest fires near rich residential areas that are prone to fires. Fires are supposed to happen, but we keep stopping the fires from happening, so all the firemaking stuff keeps building up and then when there is a real fire it is like a really, really bad fire that does tons of damage. Is 'rona just killing off tons of people that shouldn't be alive anyway or is the natural path that people achieve basic immortality and in turn must find some sort of homeostasis where our numbers remain similar and we don't kill the earth?

Im drunk.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
Don't think this is worth its own thread, so I'll post here. Kinda morbid, but also pragmatic thought.

People are getting too good at warding off death. So good that we are overpopulating earth and draining her resources. Is 'rona mother nature's latest and best attempt to cull our herd and save herself?

Put another way, it's like how they keep preventing forest fires near rich residential areas that are prone to fires. Fires are supposed to happen, but we keep stopping the fires from happening, so all the firemaking stuff keeps building up and then when there is a real fire it is like a really, really bad fire that does tons of damage. Is 'rona just killing off tons of people that shouldn't be alive anyway or is the natural path that people achieve basic immortality and in turn must find some sort of homeostasis where our numbers remain similar and we don't kill the earth?

Im drunk.

It isn't killing nearly enough people to make any sort of meaningful difference.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »

Im drunk.

nicname is a Thanos sock

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
Perfectly pak'd, as all things should be
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
you ever watch the planet earth where the fungus invades whatever bug is overwhelming the ecosystem?

pretty much that

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1247691218240315393?s=20

I may have mentioned that the death toll numbers in the USA are skewed, at best.

:dubious:
bears are fast...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2020, 09:12:26 PM »

I may have mentioned that the death toll numbers in the USA are skewed, at best.

I haven't watched that clip yet but from what I've gleaned today it's pure dumbass fuel. They live on it

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2020, 09:54:04 PM »

I haven't watched that clip yet but from what I've gleaned today it's pure dumbass fuel. They live on it

Yes, that's exactly what it is, aimed at MAGAqs who hate reading.
These people are too stupid to know what an autopsy is and how difficult they are to perform on bodies infected by a virus. They also lack the perspective to understand how difficult it is to do autopsies when people in New York are dying, of COVID or COVID related illness, every 3 minutes. They are also too stupid to know that one of the ways that coronavirus kills people is through organ failure, so if someone with liver disease dies after getting infected with coronavirus, it is in fact appropriate to determine that coronavirus killed that person.

Dr. Brix couldn't say any of that crap, so I did it for her.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »
got to 1970 on the death count today.  probably included a lot of people that were undercounted over the weekend, but it'll be interesting to see what tomorrow looks like.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »
Remember when Kazz Dub said he didn't think we'd have 10k deaths?

I’d set the over/under at maybe 10,000 US deaths by the end of 2020...Basically a mild flu season. In fact, some of these deaths will likely overlap potential flu deaths.
You want to talk about “exponential growth”? Look at the panic emanating from government agencies. We’ve now closed all schools in Kansas for the rest of the semester. On what rational basis?

I agree, we’re headed for deaths around 30-40k, although the “true” number of deaths caused by covid, as opposed to dying with covid but primarily from other causes, will continue to be debated for some time

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
I love that goal post move with an audible for the out.

I'm sure the grifters in 1918 and during the Black Death contemplated the same thing as people died with "well they were going to die anyways, sure they died from this but honestly death was around the door for this person as well, so we can't assign total blame to it, 2 million dead? More like 1 million since those other 1 million were going to die anyways, I'm just sure of it"
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla