Author Topic: 2020 General Election Thread  (Read 134405 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 General Election Thread
« Reply #1850 on: November 04, 2020, 07:42:40 AM »
Come on PA, MI, and WI.  That's dumb.

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 04, 2020, 07:43:19 AM »
Are you allowed to count mail in ballots before Election Day?  You should be, then you can have them all counted and just add the election day votes to it.
Depends on state.  Pa for example, GOP led state house refused to amend procedure and they couldn't even as much as open the envelopes till yesterday.

I suspect this will all change by next election cycle

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 04, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
Only if those places are controlled by a party that thinks more voting is a good thing
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 04, 2020, 08:02:25 AM »
No one should be surprised that multi-generational blue shithole cities are a problem.   Nothing will ever change in that regard.

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1323865764810641409?s=20

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:40 AM »
I agree it's dumb to slow down results and wait on counting.  I can, however, see the rationale if there is a fear of early-voting numbers were to get out and affect participation on election day.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 04, 2020, 08:16:22 AM »
The holding the mail ballots is because people can vote in person and override their mail ballot.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 04, 2020, 08:16:44 AM »
Only if those places are controlled by a party that thinks more voting is a good thing

This election is showing that more voting probably favors the republicans more than the democrats.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 04, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
Biden officially leading in MI now.

If all states hold to current leads, Biden is the president.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 04, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
I agree it's dumb to slow down results and wait on counting.  I can, however, see the rationale if there is a fear of early-voting numbers were to get out and affect participation on election day.

The holding the mail ballots is because people can vote in person and override their mail ballot.

It seems I've fallen victim to the very thing I hate, offering up a simple solution to a complicated issue.  And for that I apologize.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 04, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Yeah, I think the way we are counting mail in ballots is probably for the best. It's not that big of a deal if the count goes into Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: November 04, 2020, 08:31:42 AM »
Yeah, I think the way we are counting mail in ballots is probably for the best. It's not that big of a deal if the count goes into Wednesday or Thursday.
(As long as the president does not incite violence over it)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 04, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
Can someone explain the current situation to me?  I just got up and went on Twitter and it's just a bunch of stupid nonsense.  I can't figure out what's going on.

Biden won. The end.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 04, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »

This election is showing that more voting probably favors the republicans more than the democrats.

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree with the 538 assessment that it doesn't hurt them (real or perceived) as much as they think or try as hard as they do. I mean, if it was pop vote Biden wins this probably 6 mil+. Maybe 7. But in the states, it's definitely triaged.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 04, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »
I think the happy medium should be to allow them to open and stage to get counted, then actually run them through on ED.  The slow down is opening, checking signatures etc

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 04, 2020, 08:42:05 AM »
The vote counting discussion is a good one to have and I appreciate 33 bringing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 04, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »
Man, trump is scared shitless
Impending accountability and prosecution will do that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 04, 2020, 08:43:30 AM »

There are more registered democrats nationally than republicans, usually around 50% to 45% republicans, it's been that way forever. Republicans have always and forever been better with turning out their fraction of vote, with the exception of 2008. 85% of 45% of the country is more than 75% of 50% of the country, this is exacerbated by the fact that the electoral college weighs those 45% heavier.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 04, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »
I think the happy medium should be to allow them to open and stage to get counted, then actually run them through on ED.  The slow down is opening, checking signatures etc

That is a big issue for sure. Most ballots are scanned, so that goes quick. Having to physically do the work day of has to suck so much ass.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 04, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »
People did sit this out because Biden isn't transformative enough.

this would be a more convincing argument if pretty much every single democrat on a ballot with biden except steve bullock and roy cooper didn't do worse than him.

His inability to pull down ballot candidates up speak to his popularity with independents and moderate republicans, actually trump's unpopularity. If liberals turned out those down ballot candidates would do better. Looks like there were enough people who picked D at the top of the ticket but either abstained or voted R the rest of the way down to pull Biden up without helping anyone else.

I'm still certain that there is a reasonable percentage of people not voting Biden and by extension D because they represent the same old way things have been done. A $15 minimum wage measure passed in Florida while Biden got his ass handed to him. To me this says that the dems aren't reaching the people they could be reaching because their message is stale. There's no way those people who voted for a $15 minimum wage should have been voting for Trump, that's a massive failure.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 04, 2020, 09:00:48 AM »
By transformative enough do you mean more liberal or less white and old or something else I'm missing?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 04, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »
By transformative enough do you mean more liberal or less white and old or something else I'm missing?

More liberal for sure, or just more ambitious. Biden didn't run on anything that represents something new. What's interesting is that Biden and damn near all down ballot candidates were painted as radical liberals by the republicans, even though we all knew they weren't that. I think that resonated with the white rural voters that turned out at amazing levels for the republicans. However, the dems game plan, specifically Biden was not radical or anything pointing to any change whatsoever. There was no platform they spoke to that represented anything different for Americans. "We'll get your obamacare back!" seemingly completely unaware how unpopular it was.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
Yeah this has definitely confirmed for me that I’m not a Democrat. Seems like a large part of that party is only excited about sweeping change rather than “let’s not eff up the country together” which was really my #1 priority this cycle.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 04, 2020, 09:21:15 AM »
Yeah this has definitely confirmed for me that I’m not a Democrat. Seems like a large part of that party is only excited about sweeping change rather than “let’s not eff up the country together” which was really my #1 priority this cycle.

I assumed this was everybodys priority this cycle and why I'm dumbfounded by any Trump vote.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 04, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
After the first debate plenty of people saw two equally bad options which is why it worried me so much.