Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1050103 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #14275 on: March 02, 2021, 09:24:46 PM »
Got two offers to get chipped today, couldn't bring myself to fib. 

One was from some pharmacy in Tulsa I had no idea I signed up.  She said she'd keep me on the list for the next phase!
Jesus you're desperate just get one already

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:56 PM »
Fwiw, Phil - I know of at least one poster on this BBS has had luck calling regional (rural) hyvees and seeing if they have any excess shots.  Said poster was chipped the same day this week.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: March 02, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »

Dlew, do you think the diocese's guidance will have an impact on vaccination rates?
I don’t know, but I doubt it.

I mean surely you know it wouldn't increase vaccination rates

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: March 02, 2021, 09:38:48 PM »

Dlew, do you think the diocese's guidance will have an impact on vaccination rates?
I don’t know, but I doubt it.

I mean surely you know it wouldn't increase vaccination rates
Honestly, I don’t know the reach or influence of this bishop or his message, though it was certainly amplified by the media attention.

I feel like everyone is pretending he said something other than what he said.  So I’ll quote it again just as a reminder:

[W]e advise that if the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine is available, Catholics should choose to receive either of those vaccines rather than to receive the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine because of its extensive use of abortion-derived cell lines.

If someone was on the fence about chipping and read that message and their take away was “the bishop doesn’t want me to get vaccinated” I don’t know what to say.

If you want to get more heady/detailed about it, medical ethics is a pretty important topic among Catholic wonks and the vaccine is the issue de jour.  What I learned today from looking into all of this is that, depending on the circumstances (which are likely overwhelmingly frequent) it is morally permissible in the eyes of the Church to take “morally compromised” vaccines.  To the extent any hardcore Catholics were holding out because of the ethical issues, guidance issued by the Pope and by this bishop could give people clarity into how they can morally proceed - otherwise, people could very well listen to the most assured sounding person on their Catholic Facebook group who says “any use of a vaccine that involves aborted fetal tissue in any way is a mortal sin per [some esoteric Catholic authority].

But like I said, I doubt the statement at issue is going to tilt the scales very much one way or another.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:49:57 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: March 02, 2021, 09:41:07 PM »
The Catholic Church has been telling people to do dumb shlt for 2 thousand years and will continue to tell people to do dumb shlt for 2 thousands more.

NEXT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14280 on: March 02, 2021, 09:48:54 PM »
Fwiw, Phil - I know of at least one poster on this BBS has had luck calling regional (rural) hyvees and seeing if they have any excess shots.  Said poster was chipped the same day this week.

Hmm, I haven't done that yet, did said poster call a certain time a day.  If they have ones they are throwing away I'll easily take one of those but I can't bring myself to cut in front of line no matter how much I want it.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: March 02, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »
Got two offers to get chipped today, couldn't bring myself to fib. 

One was from some pharmacy in Tulsa I had no idea I signed up.  She said she'd keep me on the list for the next phase!
Jesus you're desperate just get one already

Once we (MO) moves to the IT/Government people phase I'm stepping in.  I don't worry about stepping in front of those dorks teleworking on the daily.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: March 02, 2021, 09:52:04 PM »

Hmm, I haven't done that yet, did said poster call a certain time a day.  If they have ones they are throwing away I'll easily take one of those but I can't bring myself to cut in front of line no matter how much I want it.
Yeah I’m not sure.  I do know he drove an hour and a half outside the city.  But that’s about it.  If you called I’m sure you could ask and they’d tell you if it’s a “use it or lose it” sitch for them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: March 02, 2021, 09:52:15 PM »
FOLKS!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:22 PM »
 :Woot:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: March 02, 2021, 10:01:22 PM »
So early in the morning, but congrats tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14286 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:15 PM »
That’s hawt

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14287 on: March 02, 2021, 10:13:31 PM »
Wife gets jabbed 15 minutes before me. Even earlier!

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: March 02, 2021, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: March 02, 2021, 10:16:36 PM »

Hope you’re making her take her own car.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: March 02, 2021, 10:26:29 PM »
Honestly, I don’t know the reach or influence of this bishop or his message, though it was certainly amplified by the media attention.

I feel like everyone is pretending he said something other than what he said.  So I’ll quote it again just as a reminder:

[W]e advise that if the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine is available, Catholics should choose to receive either of those vaccines rather than to receive the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine because of its extensive use of abortion-derived cell lines.

If someone was on the fence about chipping and read that message and their take away was “the bishop doesn’t want me to get vaccinated” I don’t know what to say.

I've never pretended the bishop said anything but that. And I'd be more concerned about people who weren't on the fence who now are because of an issue that really only "catholic wonks" were worried about two days ago. it's all very "not involved in human trafficking" t-shirt-esque. "It's OK to use the aborted fetus vaccine if the one with cloned baby parts isn't available" raises a lot of questions answered in the statement.

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14291 on: March 02, 2021, 11:00:25 PM »

I've never pretended the bishop said anything but that. And I'd be more concerned about people who weren't on the fence who now are because of an issue that really only "catholic wonks" were worried about two days ago. it's all very "not involved in human trafficking" t-shirt-esque. "It's OK to use the aborted fetus vaccine if the one with cloned baby parts isn't available" raises a lot of questions answered in the statement.

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617
Like I said, I don’t expect non Catholics to care about the medical ethics questions/debate among some Catholics. But as someone who is at least a little in tune with the Catholic politics, i can say that at least some people were reticent about vaccines because of the medical ethics associated with the fetal tissue.   Hence, some guidance on the issue from Church officials is predictable, and helpful to those people who do care.  If you think the Church offering any guidance other than unconditional wholesale endorsement of every vaccine regardless of ethical origin, sorry. 

To your original point, if you assume people are going to read the bishop’s statement and think they better not get vaccinated, I don’t have a good response. I think that response would be unlikely and irrational, but if you take a more pessimistic view, we just disagree.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: March 02, 2021, 11:03:26 PM »

Congrats

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: March 02, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »
I’m glad you got one lined up stave
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: March 02, 2021, 11:59:15 PM »
Like I said, I don’t expect non Catholics to care about the medical ethics questions/debate among some Catholics. But as someone who is at least a little in tune with the Catholic politics, i can say that at least some people were reticent about vaccines because of the medical ethics associated with the fetal tissue.   Hence, some guidance on the issue from Church officials is predictable, and helpful to those people who do care.  If you think the Church offering any guidance other than unconditional wholesale endorsement of every vaccine regardless of ethical origin, sorry. 
I don't expect the vast majority of Catholics to care about the medical ethics debate if the bishop doesn't bring it up.

To your original point, if you assume people are going to read the bishop’s statement and think they better not get vaccinated, I don’t have a good response. I think that response would be unlikely and irrational, but if you take a more pessimistic view, we just disagree.

I don't think it's necessarily like a switch flipper, but it's a barrier/impediment. Would it be irrational for someone who was going to get vaccinated to hear that guidance and then call their local vax site to see what they were using? What if they didn't know, what does that person do? Go to another one that's maybe further away/less accessible? What if that place only offers J&J? Like, technically it should be OK I think to go to the second place, but maybe not because there is somewhere in the country that offers Moderna & Pfizer?

It's just really bad marketing if you want as many people to get vaccinated as possible.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14295 on: March 03, 2021, 06:04:52 AM »
I don't expect the vast majority of Catholics to care about the medical ethics debate if the bishop doesn't bring it up.

I don't think it's necessarily like a switch flipper, but it's a barrier/impediment. Would it be irrational for someone who was going to get vaccinated to hear that guidance and then call their local vax site to see what they were using? What if they didn't know, what does that person do? Go to another one that's maybe further away/less accessible? What if that place only offers J&J? Like, technically it should be OK I think to go to the second place, but maybe not because there is somewhere in the country that offers Moderna & Pfizer?

It's just really bad marketing if you want as many people to get vaccinated as possible.
I think the vast majority of Catholics don’t care about the medical ethics debate.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14296 on: March 03, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »
Floodgates are opening.

https://twitter.com/squawkcnbc/status/1367089133634678786

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14297 on: March 03, 2021, 08:01:07 AM »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14298 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:51 AM »
Yeah, you're right. Religious nut jobs who care about this stuff will read that statement and then go ahead and get a vaccine made from aborted tissue. They are very rational people.
Who are these people you think are stupid? Catholics in the New Orleans archdiocese?

I didn't say anyone was stupid. I said they are irrational. Catholics also are not the only people who view life saving technology that comes from fetus research as evil. Many people, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, are going to see a statement like that and decide not to get any vaccine. It's not that they care about doing what the bishop says to do, but that the bishop said the fetus vaccine is immoral and they also believe it is immoral.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14299 on: March 03, 2021, 08:32:57 AM »
Floodgates are opening.

https://twitter.com/squawkcnbc/status/1367089133634678786

Love this news. Dallas is one of the first getting J&J too so pretty excited at the prospect of fully vaxxed in April.