Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070609 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Bro/Corona Meltdown/Corona Model Guessers
« Reply #7475 on: June 08, 2020, 09:28:21 PM »
totally spitballing, but I wonder how much of these regional trends are driven by people in the south/southwest staying outside less because it's gotten hotter and people in the Midwest and New England staying outside more.
That's a really smart idea, Rusty.  That would make sense.
Stay inside where? Like restaurants?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: June 08, 2020, 09:38:13 PM »
totally spitballing, but I wonder how much of these regional trends are driven by people in the south/southwest staying outside less because it's gotten hotter and people in the Midwest and New England staying outside more.
Restaurants: inside instead of patios
Gyms/CrossFit: inside instead of outside
Social gatherings: inside instead of outside

Seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: June 08, 2020, 09:42:30 PM »

Restaurants: inside instead of patios
Gyms/CrossFit: inside instead of outside
Social gatherings: inside instead of outside

Seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

All of this plus people are less likely to have the windows open or go for walks or really do anything outside since they need air conditioning so bad. While the upper Midwest goes outside like crazy in late spring/early summer.

I think it's a bit of a stretch but there might be something to it. And I don't think it really explains the west increase since California has been steadily climbing nonstop despite amazing weather year round

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: June 08, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »
NYC had a day last week with no coronavirus deaths? How in the hell did they do that and how is it that places like Iowa and Kansas don't seem to be close to having a day without deaths?

Kansas had one death yesterday.

Hmmm, I guess there was something to shutting the states down after all. I wonder if the other states without shutdowns have had a day without coronavirus deaths. NYC already having a day without deaths is phenomenal.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: June 09, 2020, 07:47:48 AM »
I don't know about the rest of the south but in DFW it's only been hot for the past week. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: June 09, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »
NYC had a day last week with no coronavirus deaths? How in the hell did they do that and how is it that places like Iowa and Kansas don't seem to be close to having a day without deaths?

Kansas had one death yesterday.

Hmmm, I guess there was something to shutting the states down after all. I wonder if the other states without shutdowns have had a day without coronavirus deaths. NYC already having a day without deaths is phenomenal.
Georgia didn't report any on Saturday.  :dunno:

https://covidtracking.com/data/state/georgia

That said, I don't put too much stock into day to day reporting because of reporting variances throughout the week. 7 day avg is the way to go, imo.   

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: June 09, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
Would love to start seeing data on where these infections are happening. High risk environment like prison/factory/nursing home hotspots, family spread, etc.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Corona Bro/Corona Meltdown/Corona Model Guessers
« Reply #7482 on: June 09, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »
In Dallas, 80% plus of all cases have been linked to essential workers. Of course that category is so broad it’s almost meaningless, but based on that factor and case locations it seems pretty apparent that the vast majority of infections are in lower income households where one or more family members still needs to go into work every day. Also probably more likely to have more family members under the same roof.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: June 10, 2020, 03:06:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1270791094666747905

Nothing surprising. Just more evidence that the ones bitching the most are the ones that are making it harder to reopen.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7485 on: June 10, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1270791094666747905

Nothing surprising. Just more evidence that the ones bitching the most are the ones that are making it harder to reopen.
Are people back in offices wearing masks? I have zooms with people all over the country and I'm amazed at full conference rooms with no masks.

I've been going to the office occasionally and I wear a mask if someone else is there but most people there don't and I want to shame the eff out of them.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: June 10, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »
Anyone who enters office building must be wearing a face mask according to guidance.  Only an individual alone in a private office with the door closed may be without their mask.

From an e-mail today

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: June 10, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
Masks will be required when we transition from mandatory to voluntary-but-encouraged WFH, although you can remove your mask if you're in your office with the door closed. Also will have to download an app to check in and out of the office. When you arrive, you'll need to answer screening questions. When you leave, you'll need to identify any colleagues you encountered in the office that day. Also, like, no amenities. Not even coffee, which is kind of a nonstarter. And no printing. Print jobs have to be sent to the business office, which for now will be 1 guy locked in a room by himself printing and delivering print jobs. lulz. I hope that guy doesn't catch the rona.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: June 10, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »
When I go back it will be masks in the office. Honestly I'm surprised to hear that it isn't SOP.

me too! And I've complained to people about it!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: June 10, 2020, 03:58:56 PM »
Masks required for us in common areas (hallways, etc.). 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: June 10, 2020, 04:16:14 PM »
the head of our office is afraid to tell people what to do. It drives me crazy. so instead of saying "masks are required if two people are in the office", he says "practice good hygiene when in office (wear mask, social distance, hand sanitizer)."

Honestly, what should I do? I've explicitly asked him to make masks mandatory a week and a half before he said "practice good hygiene"

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: June 10, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
the head of our office is afraid to tell people what to do. It drives me crazy. so instead of saying "masks are required if two people are in the office", he says "practice good hygiene when in office (wear mask, social distance, hand sanitizer)."

Honestly, what should I do? I've explicitly asked him to make masks mandatory a week and a half before he said "practice good hygiene"
HR person (or its equivalent) needs to articulate what the rules are. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: June 10, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »
Masks required for us. Conference rooms are closed, no shared printer, coffee, kitchen, etc. check in with temp check every day on arrival. Voluntary return to office for now
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: June 10, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »

I have generally assumed HR is not to help me but the company, but I suppose that if someone got the rona when it's shaky that we even need go to the office to begin with, but let people not wear masks, that could put the company at risk.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: June 10, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
Masks are required in our offices for any common areas in our early phases. We are still in the first phase and I don't expect we will be in the phases that don't require masks until August.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: June 10, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »

I have generally assumed HR is not to help me but the company, but I suppose that if someone got the rona when it's shaky that we even need go to the office to begin with, but let people not wear masks, that could put the company at risk.
That's kind of the point.  That and HR is generally responsible for implementing/enforcing office policies -- at least in my experience.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: June 10, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
i'm back in the office now and there is a 100% mask policy if you are not sitting in your cube. like if you have a standing desk, you have to mask up

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: June 10, 2020, 05:06:21 PM »
Masks required for us in common areas (hallways, etc.).
Mostly same.

In office: whatever.

Grabbing print jobs, fine.

Getting coffee or snacks: mask up.

But they’ve basically already said everyone can do what they want through the summer. Not even an “encouraged to come in” type policy.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #7498 on: June 10, 2020, 05:33:01 PM »
i'm back in the office now and there is a 100% mask policy if you are not sitting in your cube. like if you have a standing desk, you have to mask up
That's our policy. Starting back with the first wave on Monday. These are the folks that are ready for their cube to escape the house.

No seating in break rooms. No conference rooms in use.

Next wave July 15th.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »
This is my first full week back in the office and no one is wearing a mask. We have about 15-20 people here from our office of 80 and its all voluntary on if you want to work in the office or from home for the time being. I am the only person in my row back in the office and there is another empty row of desks before the next person so I don't feel uncomfortable. That may change if more people start working at the office again.

They did rearrange our desks to spread everyone out more and put a closed sign on the pop a shot machine in the break room.  :dunno: