Author Topic: Android App/Widget/Etc. Master Thread  (Read 16982 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Android App Master Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
I don't get the google number.  Like you have to change your phone number?

no

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »
I don't get the google number.  Like you have to change your phone number?

Its a bonus number that allows you to do business dealings easier or shady things

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
installed Swype today.   A MUST HAVE!.   Awesome technology.    You have to download it directly from Swype.com, it's not in the market.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »
installed Swype today.   A MUST HAVE!.   Awesome technology.    You have to download it directly from Swype.com, it's not in the market.

saw that but am lazy.  Download it for me and PM it to me. tia.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
So Google Voice opened the floodgates today.  Will be worth it to me just so I can set up a custom outgoing voice message for when I call my wife.  The one she has right now is at least 40 seconds long.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
fring:

A venerable multi-protocol app on many platforms.  Free. Video. Calling.

epicurious:

Best recipe app.  Period.  It's comprised of a recipe browser, suggested recipes, a search function and a shopping list. In each recipe, you'll find step-by-step cooking guides, photos and ingredient lists. I mean, obviously-it's a recipe app. The real value here is in the database, which is spectacularly huge.

dropbox:

The best cloud-file-sync-and-storage service out there—seriously, it's spectacular—now has an Android app. It puts cloud storage from Google and Apple to shame with ridiculously seamless multi-platform syncing, and now it's got an Android app, so you can access or share your files from your Android phone. 2 GB Free, larger storage = $$.

evernote:

The notes that you take with the Evernote app can be accessed from both your Android device and your computer. You can quickly add a text note, audio note, photo snapshot, or file upload to your library from any of your devices. One particularly cool feature is Notes Nearby, which lets you find notes that were written near your current GPS location.

fxcamera:

FxCamera is an award-winning camera application enables you to take a picture with various effects.

google voice:

Google Voice gives you a single phone number that rings all your phones, saves your voicemail online, and transcribes your voicemail to text. Other features include listening in on messages while they are being left, recording calls, making low-cost international calls, recording custom greetings for your favorite callers, and blocking annoying callers by marking them as spam.

layar:

The Layar Reality Browser shows what is around you by displaying real time digital information on top of the real world as seen through the camera of your mobile phone. This technology is called Augmented Reality (AR).

Through the Layar reality browser, and while looking around, one can find houses for sale or interesting facts about the church you’re standing in front of, but also experience new types of 3D art, see how this place used to look like hundreds of years ago or walk through your future neighborhood in 3D. Layar works by using the mobile phone’s camera, compass and GPS data to identify the user’s location and field of view. Based on these geographical coordinates, data is being retrieved from a content database and overlaid over the camera view, in so-called ‘layers’.

where:

WHERE® is a leading local search and recommendation service in mobile and the web. With WHERE, users can discover and save  local places, and easily share their location graph with their existing social networks. WHERE puts the best local information at users’ fingertips with real-time reviews and special offers from local merchants. The WHERE mobile application is available on over one hundred mobile devices and a top application on all major smartphone platforms and carriers.

shazam:

Do you believe in magic? Maybe you will after trying out Shazam, a jaw-droppingly awesome music identifier. If you can't place the song playing in the room at any moment, just open Shazam and tell it to listen for a few seconds. It has the uncanny ability to recognize the track and tell you pretty much anything you need to know about it. This is great for settling bar bets, and perfect for filling out all the info for your friend's mix CD that imported with helpful song names like "Track 01."

pandora:

Pandora the music streaming service comes to Android, finally. There's really no reason not to know what Pandora is at this point, but for the uninitiated, when you enter a song or artist, it'll create a playlist of similar stuff that you'll (probably) like too.

wow. thx duncan.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 12:22:37 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted or not.

http://www.moblico.com/810/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »

oh man, answer to Pete's prayers

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »

and further proof that keitz reads the board. thanks bitb.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »

and further proof that keitz reads the board. thanks bitb.

BOOM!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »

used it over the weekend, thus far it blows, just as bad as wunder radio.  It buffered pretty badly and they only have 810 programming.  They didn't stream any part of the game coverage or ESPN Radio.  There is an elite Planet Sub coupon on there though.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 01:46:26 PM »

used it over the weekend, thus far it blows, just as bad as wunder radio.  It buffered pretty badly and they only have 810 programming.  They didn't stream any part of the game coverage or ESPN Radio.  There is an elite Planet Sub coupon on there though.

Just used it a bit and it definitely has some major issues.  It buffers back to the spot you began listening at over and over.  I'm sure they'll get it figured out since they just released it Friday.  Wonder radio works better.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »

Just used it a bit and it definitely has some major issues.  It buffers back to the spot you began listening at over and over.  I'm sure they'll get it figured out since they just released it Friday.  Wonder radio works better.

WunderRadio just shuts off, all the time, no matter what I am streaming, I hate it and I hate that I paid $6 for it.  I'm about to go to RadioTime, I loved it when I had the Pre.  I also notice that many of the streams that WunderRadio uses are from RadioTime.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
People that go running and cycling should try Run Keeper

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »

WunderRadio just shuts off, all the time, no matter what I am streaming, I hate it and I hate that I paid $6 for it.  I'm about to go to RadioTime, I loved it when I had the Pre.  I also notice that many of the streams that WunderRadio uses are from RadioTime.

Agreed. Wunder is better than the 810 app, but it still shuts off all the time on me.

Does Radio Time have 810 Whb?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »
810 app is working great for me now listening to chiefs pregame.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »

I found that if you have a strong signal, then it works OK.  However, if the signal is iffy, then the Wunder radio option is more consistent, it seems, IMO.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 11:53:28 PM »

Agreed. Wunder is better than the 810 app, but it still shuts off all the time on me.

Does Radio Time have 810 Whb?

So I was listening to Wildcat Insider today, I know :powerespect: anyway WunderBoner started to do that buffer, shut down and restart at the same place only to shut down seconds later again.  So fed up I paid for Radio Time, should have stayed with it from the start like I said it was sweet for the Pre, it went an hour uninterrupted.  I will no longer be using WunderRadio.  Yes Pete they do have 810 and 1350, pretty much every station.  WunderRadio is out with the fact that they are biting the streams off of Radio Time, they have the RT logo in the top right corner of the streams they use.

So since I got WunderRadio off of your recommendation, the way I see it you owe me six bucks.  tia

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »

I found that if you have a strong signal, then it works OK.  However, if the signal is iffy, then the Wunder radio option is more consistent, it seems, IMO.

True, this seems to be the case.

I'm expecting the WHB app to get better since they just released it last Friday.  I'm sure they are working through bugs.

I've had pretty good results from Wunder though, not nearly the same issues MIR is having.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
Read online that the radio apps will drop out if your phone trys to switch between 3g/regular/4g/wifi/etc.  If you have a strong 3G signal you are supposed to do something so it doesn't switch signals or something.  Doesn't seem like this is the problem if you live in Wichita or Manhattan unless it's trying to switch to your wifi signal or to non-3g or something though.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »
any Android podcasting apps?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 02:29:48 PM »

Like, to do podcasts or listen to them?  Google Listen is the big one  :dunno:

Offline Dave Wooderson

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »

Like, to do podcasts or listen to them?  Google Listen is the big one  :dunno:

Automatically downloads for listening at your convenience.
Wait a minute guys... I don't play golf... for money... against people.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
Just got Worldmate.  Until awardwallet gets their android app out this is my go-to travel app