Author Topic: GolfCats  (Read 73555 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: GolfCats
« Reply #1000 on: October 11, 2023, 12:52:32 PM »
Thanks golf cats. Most of these tips are pretty obvious and I knew most of them. That's what makes golf so hard I guess. The old, "just do that" tips. I KNOW GODDAMMIT!!! Some good ones in here though, thanks. My biggest issue (at least for now) is my grip. I know how to hold the club. I know how i'm supposed to hold the club, but the interlocking grip just doesn't feel right for me and it makes my right hand slip way under. When my hands are uncomfortable, I start hitting really bad shots. Just not hitting the face. As I mentioned yesterday, I was doing pretty well, then the past few rounds went to complete crap. Went to the range at lunch and spent 45 min and prob didn't hit one "clean" shot. It was rage inducing. Went back last night and switched my grip to just putting my pinky on top as opposed to locking and hit the ball way better. I know I just need to pick one and stick with it and I think that is what its going to be.

Also, I get that I need to work chipping and putting more. That always made sense to me and I agree, but the course I play is long as eff. If you don't hit at decent drive, you are going to have a bad time. I actually hit the 3w decent so my second shots aren't always terrible, but I also agree with Benji and I should prob just bang my 6 or 7 as opposed the more often than not chunk or chase 3w shot.

This is why I enjoy playing alone if possible, lol. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. If I play with people who are better than I am, I sometimes get nervous, and that results in more crap shots, followed by unsolicited "tips."

Still, there will inevitably be a hole or two where I stick the approach within 5 feet and drain the putt. That's what keeps you coming back for more punishment. Golf, for me, is an exercise in Stoicism.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 11, 2023, 01:25:34 PM »
SF try both and report back ITT (jk I think shooter is correct it’s keep your weight on the front leg for that drill)

Ha, my guy already had me doing the front foot drill so I thought BAC was wrong, but WTF do I know?

Guess I’m blessed that it’s been such a long time since my swing needed fixing that I’ve completely forgotten the details. When you have a pure paragon of a swing it frees you up to focus on other stuff (like in my case my abysmal short game)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 11, 2023, 02:25:59 PM »
Thanks golf cats. Most of these tips are pretty obvious and I knew most of them. That's what makes golf so hard I guess. The old, "just do that" tips. I KNOW GODDAMMIT!!! Some good ones in here though, thanks. My biggest issue (at least for now) is my grip. I know how to hold the club. I know how i'm supposed to hold the club, but the interlocking grip just doesn't feel right for me and it makes my right hand slip way under. When my hands are uncomfortable, I start hitting really bad shots. Just not hitting the face. As I mentioned yesterday, I was doing pretty well, then the past few rounds went to complete crap. Went to the range at lunch and spent 45 min and prob didn't hit one "clean" shot. It was rage inducing. Went back last night and switched my grip to just putting my pinky on top as opposed to locking and hit the ball way better. I know I just need to pick one and stick with it and I think that is what its going to be.

Also, I get that I need to work chipping and putting more. That always made sense to me and I agree, but the course I play is long as eff. If you don't hit at decent drive, you are going to have a bad time. I actually hit the 3w decent so my second shots aren't always terrible, but I also agree with Benji and I should prob just bang my 6 or 7 as opposed the more often than not chunk or chase 3w shot.

This is why I enjoy playing alone if possible, lol. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. If I play with people who are better than I am, I sometimes get nervous, and that results in more crap shots, followed by unsolicited "tips."

Still, there will inevitably be a hole or two where I stick the approach within 5 feet and drain the putt. That's what keeps you coming back for more punishment. Golf, for me, is an exercise in Stoicism.

yep, I actually played 18 by myself last weekend. Enjoyed it. 18 was a bit of a haul by myself so i'll prob stop at 9 if I'm solo going forward but it was still peaceful. However, I'm such a rough ridin' lunatic that I had it in my brain that I was going to score better since I had been hitting the ball well that I still made myself nervous even by myself!!! The guys I play with are pretty good, but its fine. They don't give a crap that I'm terrible. I make sure that I never hold them up in any way. I'll pick up my ball if things get bad so I don't hold anyone up. I sort of just play in the background for the most part.

Also, need to take Benji's advice and just stop going for a bit. Went back today and i'm still a rough ridin' mess. Another 45 minutes of awkward swings and crap shots. I have no idea how I went completely off the rails and its infuriating. I was really improving and having fun and it all just stopped and now I can't fix anything. :curse: Just need to stop going until my next lesson.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 11, 2023, 02:56:19 PM »

yep, I actually played 18 by myself last weekend. Enjoyed it. 18 was a bit of a haul by myself so i'll prob stop at 9 if I'm solo going forward but it was still peaceful. However, I'm such a rough ridin' lunatic that I had it in my brain that I was going to score better since I had been hitting the ball well that I still made myself nervous even by myself!!! The guys I play with are pretty good, but its fine. They don't give a crap that I'm terrible. I make sure that I never hold them up in any way. I'll pick up my ball if things get bad so I don't hold anyone up. I sort of just play in the background for the most part.

Also, need to take Benji's advice and just stop going for a bit. Went back today and i'm still a rough ridin' mess. Another 45 minutes of awkward swings and crap shots. I have no idea how I went completely off the rails and its infuriating. I was really improving and having fun and it all just stopped and now I can't fix anything. :curse: Just need to stop going until my next lesson.
Maybe club up and only swing 85-90 percent?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 11, 2023, 04:04:58 PM »

This is another pro-tip. Don't try and crush the ball, just focus on having a smooth swing and making contact.

IMO you should never swing more than 90% unless you're just screwing around and want to see how far you can crush it.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 11, 2023, 04:18:38 PM »

This is another pro-tip. Don't try and crush the ball, just focus on having a smooth swing and making contact.

IMO you should never swing more than 90% unless you're just screwing around and want to see how far you can crush it.

I disagree, I think you should swing at the speed that you can be the most consistent/repeatable.

That being said, yes I would agree if you have a situation where you’d have to hit an X iron on the screws or you could choke down and take a nice easy swing with an X-1 iron then yes, you hit the longer club (unless there is a smokin hot filly watching in which case impress the crap out of her with your strength)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 11, 2023, 04:23:16 PM »

I disagree, I think you should swing at the speed that you can be the most consistent/repeatable.

That being said, yes I would agree if you have a situation where you’d have to hit an X iron on the screws or you could choke down and take a nice easy swing with an X-1 iron then yes, you hit the longer club (unless there is a smokin hot filly watching in which case impress the crap out of her with your strength)

Ha, another infuriating point about this stupid game. So I should hit this club this far, but since I rarely ever hit anything perfect, I should club up. rough ridin' crush it directly past the hole and the "correct" club would have been perfect.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1007 on: October 11, 2023, 04:50:21 PM »

Ha, another infuriating point about this stupid game. So I should hit this club this far, but since I rarely ever hit anything perfect, I should club up. rough ridin' crush it directly past the hole and the "correct" club would have been perfect.
Welcome to over swing city.

An easy swing usually takes you right to parallel at the top and you come through right on plane. Crushing the ball.

Personally, I do three quarter swing drills to work on this.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 11, 2023, 07:21:45 PM »
My point was a "90%" swing should be your "100%" swing for every joe blow golfer out there. Don't try and crush it every time.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 11, 2023, 08:39:40 PM »
We need a FF Golf Tournament

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 12, 2024, 05:46:42 PM »
Got my first birdie of the year and it was pretty lol.

380 yard par 4 with a hill in the middle. I hit a decent drive uphill that went just over the top of the hill under a tree in the rough, probably about 200 yards.

I pull up and it's about 185 to the pin but I can't get any loft since I have a tree above me so I decided to YOLO with a 5 iron punch out shot.

Hit it perfectly and it landed about 30 yards in front of the green before rolling up about 4 ft from the pin.

Nailed the put

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 12, 2024, 10:28:38 PM »
I'm going golfing tomorrow guys!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2024, 08:22:35 AM »
Played 9 last night. It was great. Perfect weather and no one was out there. Still reallyyyyyy struggling with the driver, but hit several other decent iron shots, which is all i'm after as a beginner. I keep waiting to start up lessons because its surely going to get cold again, but it doesn't appear to be happening so maybe I should just start golf season.  :dunno:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 13, 2024, 08:45:58 AM »
Played 9 last night. It was great. Perfect weather and no one was out there. Still reallyyyyyy struggling with the driver, but hit several other decent iron shots, which is all i'm after as a beginner. I keep waiting to start up lessons because its surely going to get cold again, but it doesn't appear to be happening so maybe I should just start golf season.  :dunno:
That's exactly what I did last night with a couple buds and there also was no one else out there.  :sdeek:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 13, 2024, 08:52:55 AM »
That's exactly what I did last night with a couple buds and there also was no one else out there.  :sdeek:

I played with my kid and it was amazing not having anyone behind or in front. So nice to not be looking behind you or waiting on people in front. Very rare.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 13, 2024, 09:22:57 AM »
As soon as I start to struggle making good contact, chunking or topping, I go Jon Rahm and shorten my backswing with all of my clubs. Keeping the left arm as straight as possible, bring it just to parallel to the ground.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 13, 2024, 09:33:54 AM »
As soon as I start to struggle making good contact, chunking or topping, I go Jon Rahm and shorten my backswing with all of my clubs. Keeping the left arm as straight as possible, bring it just to parallel to the ground.

I def do this. My main issue is with my grip/hands. I've only been playing consistently for like 2 years, so I've only recently learned to grip the club properly. It still feels uncomfortable at time and if it does, it is slice city.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 13, 2024, 09:35:01 AM »

I def do this. My main issue is with my grip/hands. I've only been playing consistently for like 2 years, so I've only recently learned to grip the club properly. It still feels uncomfortable at time and if it does, it is slice city.
Maybe you should have your travel agent schedule lessons.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:32 AM »

For me, the best single single swing thought to help with a slice is to keep your right elbow in tight to your right hip (assuming your right handed). Keeps you from swinging over the top.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 13, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »
Remember: vertical drop, horizontal tug.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 13, 2024, 12:19:43 PM »
Remember: vertical drop, horizontal tug.

You owe me for a lesson!