Author Topic: How good is our OL?  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
How good is our OL?
« on: September 04, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »
The stats looked great for the Nichols game, but watching the game live I didn't have the sensation that we were really opening up big holes.  Was this just the scheme...was this a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust approach?  Perhaps I am just completely wrong?

I was very impressed with the second team OL.  I know that they were going against a tired DL, but i thought that they performed better than the first team, which seems odd, but hey I will take it.

Also, I am excited that we have a stable full of guys to run the ball.  3 transfers?!?! Feels like the good old days, man. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: How good is our OL?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »
pete, who is your favorite ksu o-line player this year?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Who's ready for the ALL BEEF team? That's a lot of BEEF! Where's the BEEF? Look below!

50   Cooper Beebe   Fr.   Offensive Line   6-3   342   Kansas City, Kan. / Piper   
70   Kaitori Leveston   R-Fr.   Offensive Line   6-4   329   Waco, Texas / Midway
76   Josh Rivas   So.   Offensive Line   6-6   323   Hutchinson, Kan. / Hutchinson
63   Ben Adler   So.   Offensive Line   6-4   320   Wichita, Kan. / Trinity Academy   
62   Tyler Mitchell   Sr.   Offensive Line   6-5   317   Bucksnort, Ala. / Montgomery Academy

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
Running backs were definitely getting good YAC

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 03:24:10 PM »
Bucksnort, Alabama isn't a real place.
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
If you follow PFF stats you will see 3 of our OL in the top 10 offensive players for week 1.  We are pretty salty across the front.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »
Nothing I love more than some salty BEEF
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »
pete, who is your favorite ksu o-line player this year?

I try not to play favorites.  As a blog site administrator, it would be inappropriate for me to do so.  Having said that, it's all of them.  There is a 10 way tie between the first and second team units, in my heart (and brain).

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 01:20:41 AM »
 Well Pete, the OL was resetting the LOS by like 3-4 yds every play, so even when they didn’t make her holes the backs were getting good yards.

OL = stud, bosses.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
Running backs were definitely getting good YAC

This was my biggest takeaway from the run game. 

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »
Bucksnort, Alabama isn't a real place.

We'll write it in with a Sharpie.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »
Well Pete, the OL was resetting the LOS by like 3-4 yds every play, so even when they didn’t make her holes the backs were getting good yards.

OL = stud, bosses.

That's very good to hear, and definitely something a layperson like me would miss as we "just watch the ball."  THIS is the type of feedback I was looking for with the OP.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »
I like Kaltmayer (sp?).  He ragdolls opposing defensive linemen.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SeanSnyder4Prez

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Had a grueling film sesh today, trying to get ahead of all the BEEF stories the media will be printing soon about our stable of BEEF this year.

From what I saw today, the BEEFiest part of our BEEFactory is the interior line. LGs Curl and Rivas, C Holtorf, and my personal All-Preseason BEEF selection so far, RG Mitchell, are maulers. These guys are champion-bred, BEEF-fed, stud muffins. We did a lot today to pull these guys around or send them immediately to the second level to seal off a linebacker, and these guys dominated. Klieman likes to send the backside G straight at the middle LB to seal him off, while pulling the C around playside to meet the playside LB at the point of attack. Our Gs really move second level quickly, and use good footwork to seal away that backside LB. Holtorf moves pretty well himself, and pulling with some momentum looks like a 300 lb fullback. One thing they really didn't explore today, but you might keep an eye on, is that the backside G going straight second level is leaving the backside DT unblocked. If they are using sweep action from the RB to the playside, the QB could key off the free DT and potentially keep the ball and run right at the gap that the DT left if the DT follows the RB (for examples, watch the GIlbert 15 yd run on the first drive or Jordon Brown's TD run). On the Holcombe truckstick play, we did a read option key, but it was a drastically different blocking scheme.

The other thing you love to see is pass-pro: specifically, RG Mitchell absolutely deleted his man on the pass rush on a couple plays. You couldn't even call it a pocket really, because he stood his man up at the LOS and they didnt get any farther back.

Our backs are really solid this year, but running behind a wall of BEEF (beef curtain?) in this kind of scheme makes them look really good.

On another note, I would love to see some _FAN analysis of the new O.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Pete, what if I told you we are the best in the country at every single position?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00:06 AM »
i've watched the jordan brown td run about 500 times.  our OL was absolutely nails on that.  brown could have ridden a rascal scooter 50 yards to the endzone on that play.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Had a grueling film sesh today, trying to get ahead of all the BEEF stories the media will be printing soon about our stable of BEEF this year.

From what I saw today, the BEEFiest part of our BEEFactory is the interior line. LGs Curl and Rivas, C Holtorf, and my personal All-Preseason BEEF selection so far, RG Mitchell, are maulers. These guys are champion-bred, BEEF-fed, stud muffins. We did a lot today to pull these guys around or send them immediately to the second level to seal off a linebacker, and these guys dominated. Klieman likes to send the backside G straight at the middle LB to seal him off, while pulling the C around playside to meet the playside LB at the point of attack. Our Gs really move second level quickly, and use good footwork to seal away that backside LB. Holtorf moves pretty well himself, and pulling with some momentum looks like a 300 lb fullback. One thing they really didn't explore today, but you might keep an eye on, is that the backside G going straight second level is leaving the backside DT unblocked. If they are using sweep action from the RB to the playside, the QB could key off the free DT and potentially keep the ball and run right at the gap that the DT left if the DT follows the RB (for examples, watch the GIlbert 15 yd run on the first drive or Jordon Brown's TD run). On the Holcombe truckstick play, we did a read option key, but it was a drastically different blocking scheme.

The other thing you love to see is pass-pro: specifically, RG Mitchell absolutely deleted his man on the pass rush on a couple plays. You couldn't even call it a pocket really, because he stood his man up at the LOS and they didnt get any farther back.

Our backs are really solid this year, but running behind a wall of BEEF (beef curtain?) in this kind of scheme makes them look really good.

This is the highest football IQ thing I’ve ever heard Sean’s name associated with.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »

This is the highest football IQ thing I’ve ever heard Sean’s name associated with.

Can you TLDNR it?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f