Author Topic: What a downer  (Read 5805 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What a downer
« on: March 22, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »
Shitty way to end the season. That's the biggest upset of the tournament so far, isn't it?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: What a downer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
On the positive side, we're going to be talked about!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »
At least we won't lose to Wisconsin again!  That's nice!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 03:19:04 PM »
Shitty way to end the season. That's the biggest upset of the tournament so far, isn't it?

We were -3.5 after Wade was ruled out, so very doubtful that was the biggest upset.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 03:19:48 PM »
Too much adversity
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
We are so much ho hum. 

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »
Thank god we are amazing at football, ya know?

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
Too much adversity
too little talent
none of our players were recruited by anybody of any bball significance. weber has probably over achieved based on the recruiting profile of his players.
he does not have any offensive skill on the roster

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »
Pretty sure oscar is winless against 13 seeds. #FireBruce
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »
i was already dead inside when dean was out of the tourney. a loss was inevitable.

Offline Mels Fish Bowl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »
Yes, 'Cats had a 77% probability of victory.  Marquette had 66% chance of defeating Murray State.
Manhattan Tradition Since 1951

Offline Cool Hand Luke

• Illini Fan
  • Fan
  • Sorry about oscar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »
Oscar giveth. Oscar taketh away. His floor is his ceiling. Most fortunate draw of all time provided a smoke screen last year.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:33:21 PM by Cool Hand Luke »
"oscar Weber is a steaming pile of dog crap and everyone needs to get on board to have his sorry ass fired." - XJK3026

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 02:59:12 AM »
Oscar giveth. Oscar taketh away. His floor is his ceiling. Most fortunate draw of all time provided a smoke screen last year.

9 seeds don't get a fortunate draw. We played 2 games against better seeds, two games against worse seeds. I'm sure you'll find this is the case for most 6-11 seeds that have made the elite 8 in the 64 team era?

You know what's odd? I hear some mention that oscar got lucky that the got to play a team who beat the one seed, but I never hear those same people talk about the misfortune of having to play a clearly misseeded Kentucky team in '14. They played the best team in the country in an 8-9'game. Just as I'm sure I won't hear the same about this year's team facing a 30+ win team with the nation's longest winning streak in a 4-13 game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 03:07:34 AM »

9 seeds don't get a fortunate draw. We played 2 games against better seeds, two games against worse seeds. I'm sure you'll find this is the case for most 6-11 seeds that have made the elite 8 in the 64 team era?

You know what's odd? I hear some mention that oscar got lucky that the got to play a team who beat the one seed, but I never hear those same people talk about the misfortune of having to play a clearly misseeded Kentucky team in '14. They played the best team in the country in an 8-9'game. Just as I'm sure I won't hear the same about this year's team facing a 30+ win team with the nation's longest winning streak in a 4-13 game.

It's a total crapshoot. UK was definitely an unlucky draw. I know nothing about UC Irvine but sure let's call it unlucky.

oscar did a great job this year on a team with a razor thin margin for error because he needed to play three seniors, two of which were injury prone, 35+ minutes a game to win. The conference title says way more about the job he did than the one game fluke

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 03:11:25 AM »

It's a total crapshoot. UK was definitely an unlucky draw. I know nothing about UC Irvine but sure let's call it unlucky.

oscar did a great job this year on a team with a razor thin margin for error because he needed to play three seniors, two of which were injury prone, 35+ minutes a game to win. The conference title says way more about the job he did than the one game fluke

Truth

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:24 AM »
Also the conference title (and 10-8 record last year) says way more about him than the elite eight

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
You never know what you’re gonna get in the tourney, but that’s the fun of it. My only true disappointment is that Wade wasn’t able to contribute again and that Brown had to sit for half the game. That really sucks for the two main guys who got us here.

It’s tempting to also think this was one of our best shots at a FF in a long time, but with Wade out and Brown and X slumping down the stretch, I really don’t think that’s even true.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »

what did oscar do that any other competent coach wouldn’t have done that made the job he did so worthy of praise?

i can tell you one thing that he did that no other coach with a pulse would not have, and that’s sitting his senior guard for as long as he did because he had 2 early fouls.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »

what did oscar do that any other competent coach wouldn’t have done that made the job he did so worthy of praise?

i can tell you one thing that he did that no other coach with a pulse would not have, and that’s sitting his senior guard for as long as he did because he had 2 early fouls.

Winning a conference championship isn't worthy of praise? Can you list all of the other P5 coaches with a pulse with 2 conference titles the last 6 years? I know Coach K isn't on that list.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »

Winning a conference championship isn't worthy of praise? Can you list all of the other P5 coaches with a pulse with 2 conference titles the last 6 years? I know Coach K isn't on that list.

i think that with the team he had this season, including 3 seniors - 2 of which were all conference players, he should have shared the conference.  maybe i'm being too tough, i guess he didn't screw it up?
you've played the coach k, 2 conference titles card a couple times and i get it but i also think that this team's weaknesses falls on oscar.  i'm certainly not trying to pile on the guy but think that this team did everything they could with what their coach gave them.
he could have given them a lot more.   seriously, what coach would have sat BBJ and not realized that UC-I took that game at that tie at half?  momentum and chemistry is a lot in CBB and he decided to do what his coach in 8th grade taught him to do instead of giving his team the best chance to win.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 03:23:15 PM »
He most definitely screwed the The Flush thing up, you can't even give him credit for consistency because he played Carti with two. He makes mistakes, all coaches do, he still hasn't overcame the circumstances of his hire which magnifies his individual mistakes, and makes them less forgivable, to much of the fan base.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 05:04:24 PM »
i don't think Brown playing in the first half would have mattered. either he is hurt or he is in a slump but he is a LONG ways from a first team all conference player. he isn't really even that lock down on defense.
on most good teams his offensive deficiencies would result in him coming off the bench. he had some moments this year offensively but can't consistently or even occasionally reproduce them.
not sure how much his shooting % increased over 4 years but i'm guessing not a lot.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
He most definitely screwed the The Flush thing up, you can't even give him credit for consistency because he played Carti with two. He makes mistakes, all coaches do, he still hasn't overcame the circumstances of his hire which magnifies his individual mistakes, and makes them less forgivable, to much of the fan base.

He’s just so risk-averse. It’s really my only hang up on oscar. He’s obviously a good to very good DI coach. He’s really a lot like Snyder in that regard, especially 2.0. Both take the air out of the ball too early at times. Where Bill micromanaged everything, oscar seems to over-coach during the game a bit much for my taste.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cool Hand Luke

• Illini Fan
  • Fan
  • Sorry about oscar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »
9 seeds don't get a fortunate draw.

KS got a dream path to the F4 last year. Incredibly lucky. Kentucky was standing in his way. I'll give him that. Creighton, UMBC and Loyola? You'd take that every single year, even with UK mixed in somewhere.

You know what's odd? I hear some mention that oscar got lucky that the got to play a team who beat the one seed, but I never hear those same people talk about the misfortune of having to play a clearly misseeded Kentucky team in '14.

Are you saying KS wasn't lucky to play UMBC? Surely not. Have to ask, though. Speaking of UK, how fortunate to get an inferior 2018 Wildcats team rather than one of their juggernauts. But this is all misdirection. Let's say 2014 was unlucky. I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing 2018 was a dream scenario, which it clearly was. E8 is still E8. Gotta win games. But oscar is oscar. He needs luck more than most good coaches.
"oscar Weber is a steaming pile of dog crap and everyone needs to get on board to have his sorry ass fired." - XJK3026

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 10:12:28 PM »
Fact: There are 53 active NCAA head coaches who have coached at least 10 NCAA tournament games.

Also fact: oscar Weber’s .556 winning percentage (15-12) is tied with Virginia’s Tony Bennett for 17th out of those 53.

http://www.dbwoerner.com/basketball/coaches/coach119.html

Fact: As of 2018 there were 75 coaches to have coached at least 20 NCAA tournament games (all time).

Also fact: oscar Weber’s 15-12 (.556) places him at No. 46 on this list. He’s 14th out of 24 active coaches meeting the 20 game minimum.

http://www.dbwoerner.com/basketball/coaches/all_118.html

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.