Author Topic: University bribery scandal  (Read 11725 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Re: University bribery scandal
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
it seems like a really great form of wealth redistribution. one kinda rich moron pays 5x more for his failson's education and 4 other students benefit.

i more comfortable with six figure amounts than the mega donations that get the donor's name on the building + the scion's acceptance. most education institutions require fancy new buildings about as much as they do their increasingly massive administrative departments

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »

it seems like a really great form of wealth redistribution. one kinda rich moron pays 5x more for his failson's education and 4 other students benefit.

i more comfortable with six figure amounts than the mega donations that get the donor's name on the building + the scion's acceptance. most education institutions require fancy new buildings about as much as they do their increasingly massive administrative departments

None of this money went to universities or poorer students, they were straight bribes to coaches and test proctors.

although I did hear the Stanford sailing coach funneled money into his program.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
I had no idea any of this stuff was a felony. I just assumed it's been happening for the history of time and that nobody cared. Yikes. Also seeing a lot of my minority friends getting really mad about this. Trying to wrap my head around that as well. Any rich person has probably been doing it, color of the individual aside.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 01:52:51 PM »
I think most people overestimate the value of the “prestige” schools relative to basic state schools.  There are maybe 15 schools in the US that are worth paying more than basic in state tuition, IMO.

HOWEVER, if you are rich, go where you wanna go bro.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »
The coaches’ involvement is probably most surprising (and disgusting) to me. Apparently some coaches were willing to put together fake documents and offer scholarships to kids for sports they didn’t even play?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
I think most people overestimate the value of the “prestige” schools relative to basic state schools.  There are maybe 15 schools in the US that are worth paying more than basic in state tuition, IMO.

HOWEVER, if you are rich, go where you wanna go bro.

I’d change it to 5 schools, but the list changes drastically depending on where you want to live and what you want to do. Simply put, attending a certain school is worth much more to some people than others.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »
The coaches’ involvement is probably most surprising (and disgusting) to me. Apparently some coaches were willing to put together fake documents and offer scholarships to kids for sports they didn’t even play?

Look no further than LHOFCBS.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:26 PM »
you guys are warped by going to K-State and doing ok in life.  Getting in to a tier 1 public school is a big deal and if you are rich and in a state like Texas or California, the pressure to get your kid in to UT or the UC system is incredible.

Also, the UT tennis coach that got caught accepting bribes is an MHS grad.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 06:16:12 PM »
Pretty tough standard

University of Texas at Austin will automatically admit eligible Texas students in the top 6 percent of their high school graduating class
legally mandated proportions of the incoming in-state freshman class at 75 percent automatically admitted students and 25 percent admitted through the holistic review process.
https://news.utexas.edu/2017/09/15/growth-in-texas-drives-automatic-admission-to-top-6-percent/

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »
Pretty tough standard

University of Texas at Austin will automatically admit eligible Texas students in the top 6 percent of their high school graduating class
legally mandated proportions of the incoming in-state freshman class at 75 percent automatically admitted students and 25 percent admitted through the holistic review process.
https://news.utexas.edu/2017/09/15/growth-in-texas-drives-automatic-admission-to-top-6-percent/

yeah, no kidding.  best thing that ever happened to Texas A&M.  Some kids with decent grades can't even get in there and have to go to Tech, or if they have cash, SMU.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:06 PM »
Some HUTAIQ going on in this thread. I'm impressed. I had difficulty explaining to a low UTAIQ person why I was not at all surprised to see UT lumped in with Yale and Stanford in this scam.

UT's admissions procedures are an interesting subject in themselves, but that discussion would derail this thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
you guys are warped by going to K-State and doing ok in life.  Getting in to a tier 1 public school is a big deal and if you are rich and in a state like Texas or California, the pressure to get your kid in to UT or the UC system is incredible.

Also, the UT tennis coach that got caught accepting bribes is an MHS grad.

I totally acknowledge that that is the way many people think, but I am just convinced that that plan is terrible for people who are not affluent.  That debt load is not worth it.  This is one of the reasons why I love this part of the country.  It’s absolutely common place to easily get into undergrad in this part of the country, get a decent job, work hard and use that job to maybe jump a time or two to the next level and land at the same level as the fuckers who shelled out 5 times as much. 

I was pretty lucky...got a huge break. My first real job was for a big accounting/consulting firm who hired a lot of kids from the big name schools as well as the state schools, and paid the big school kids more than the state school kids.  You could never tell the difference after the bullets started flying.  The state school kids ended up catching them, and many passed them. 

However, some of the best folks we have these days started off in ho hum jobs out of small state schools, but learned a marketable skill in their first job, and we pick them up and pay them well and bam, they are brought up to the same level as big school kids.

I am going to strongly encourage my kids to go to KSU, KU or UMKC with in state tuition.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
Schools worth paying drastically more money for:

Stanford
Berkeley
CalTech
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Columbia
MIT
Duke
WashU
Any of the Jesuit schools
Northwestern

NYU?

Anything else?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
I read that most of these people, while rich, are not rich enough to essentially donate a building.

USC is sort of interesting. Not noteworthy as academically prestigious. But possibly more exclusive than the average private school purely because so many rich kids want to go there. ??

Someone paid a guy $1,200,000 to hand another person $400,000

This raises another question for me, if you're a coach of an Olympic sport, how in the hell are you making a 6 figure deposit without raising suspicion from the feds? Aren't banks required to report every deposit over $10,000? I think I've read that there's some kind of system in place that flags attempts to make several smaller deposits to skirt the fed reporting.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 11:00:42 PM »
Withdrawals
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »
I read that most of these people, while rich, are not rich enough to essentially donate a building.

USC is sort of interesting. Not noteworthy as academically prestigious. But possibly more exclusive than the average private school purely because so many rich kids want to go there. ??

This raises another question for me, if you're a coach of an Olympic sport, how in the hell are you making a 6 figure deposit without raising suspicion from the feds? Aren't banks required to report every deposit over $10,000? I think I've read that there's some kind of system in place that flags attempts to make several smaller deposits to skirt the fed reporting.

The second point makes sense.  As to the first point, I’m honestly surprised that it surprises you. The same critique applies to Uber Eats. They pay extra cause they’re lazy and don’t know how to do it themselves.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 11:36:52 PM »
Schools worth paying drastically more money for:

Stanford
Berkeley
CalTech
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Columbia
MIT
Duke
WashU
Any of the Jesuit schools
Northwestern

NYU?

Anything else?

I'm not sure I'd put any of the Ivies or the Jesuit schools on there. Probably not Wash U either unless you are referring to the medical school. The first one that immediately comes to mind are Juilliard and Harvey Mudd, places like that. I'd certainly agree with MIT and CalTech. I don't think much of the larger schools, yeah they're prestigious and have lots of applicants, but they also have lots of graduates, graduates doing the same crap we do. I think more of the schools that have limited graduates and a diploma means immediately getting a great career, not a good first job. Schools where the career day isn't filled with school districts, and businesses like PepsiCo, where the career fair is the students selecting where they're going to work and not vice versa.

This brings me to another baffling aspect of this, degrees from schools like UT, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and even Yale, and Harvard, to a certain extent, have a higher value to people like us than they do to the very rich. This is simply a status symbol for the parents, their kids are likely to get jobs either working for their parents or in jobs that their parent's connections helped them get. I work with this class of parents in my career, granted a lot more when I worked on the east coast. I've been doing this long enough that my first kids are now in their mid 30's and most of these kids went to very good schools like Lehigh, Colgate, Denver, Elon, Boston University then got very good jobs. Hell the richest former camper I have didn't even finish college, he smoked too much weed now he runs his parents commercial real estate business in lower Manhattan. How is this not enough? I don't think these scams are a big deal, but these people are some insecure crap birds.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 11:44:39 PM »

The second point makes sense.  As to the first point, I’m honestly surprised that it surprises you. The same critique applies to Uber Eats. They pay extra cause they’re lazy and don’t know how to do it themselves.

The first point wasn't top express surprise, it was to illustrate that some of these people absolutely had to cash to just walk into the chancellor's office and offer up enough money to put up enough money to get some attention. Dlew's points 2 & 3 make a lot of sense.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 11:45:13 PM »
Also this is some grandstanding bull crap
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1106214037694619648

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2019, 01:02:20 AM »
These legal arguments are going to be interesting. I'm going to be smdh when they start analogizing to affirmative action jurisprudence, which will happen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:01 AM »
I'm not going to go read all of these schools admission requirements, but I suspect that every one of them has all kinds of contingencies for admission that go well beyond grades and test scores. 

IMO pure laziness and trying to take the easy route.   Go visit, schmooze, understand all the additional contingencies like extracurricular activities, community service and the extra stuff I suspect most of these schools will take under consideration, particularly if you've gone in a kissed a few babies, pressed some flesh and worked a few contacts.  Throw in a promise to endow a scholarship or something if you need to.   

Couple all that with at least a viable test score, a viable GPA sprinkled with a few AP/Honors classes. 

I suspect though, that few if any of these youngsters had any of that stuff, and thus weren't even remotely close to even being considered for conditional admission . . . which in some cases is probationary admission or similar.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »
Yeah, Dax. I suspect these kids probably were not doing the things you typically need to do in order to get admitted to prestigious universities.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »
Also this is some grandstanding bull crap
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1106214037694619648

I do not foresee anything coming of this other than their attorneys getting paid.

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
Also seeing a lot of my minority friends getting really mad about this. Trying to wrap my head around that as well. Any rich person has probably been doing it, color of the individual aside.

https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/status/1105543464417140737

https://twitter.com/JanetLorin/status/1108024420436791296

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
You don't think there's an example of this for every ethnicity, bucket?