Author Topic: University bribery scandal  (Read 11723 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
University bribery scandal
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
If I missed the thread about this please forgive me and merge but how amazingly layered this thing is.
1. Are there really people out there clamoring for the FBI to devote the resources they did to this? Rich people using their money to get their kids into universities is the least shocking thing ever.
2. What an amazing racket the ringleader had. Someone paid him $1.2 million dollars to give a coach a $400,000 bribe. Holy crap, this guy made the easiest money ever. It will be waiting for him after he does his 16 months in club fed.
3. Who in the world bribes someone to get their kid into Texas Tech? WTF?
4. Why didn't these people just walk into the chancellor's office and offer to build a building?
5. Lori Laughlin getting a million dollar bail for $500,000 in bribes is rough ridin' outrageous. How does that make any sense?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: University bribery scandal
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
One more thing, women in their mid 30's talking SATs, how in the hell does that work?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
This is a pretty amazing story and also lol at how incredibly dumb rich people can be.

Also regarding point #5: Lori Laughlin, if you need anything at all, I'm here for you.  Well anything except for your bail money but everything else is on the table.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
Lmao @ #3 is that for real

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:52 PM »
I'm just pissed about the income I missed out on when I could have been taking ACTs and Stats for rich kids. Wasted my youth.
:adios:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »
I mean one of Lori’s daughters is (I guess was now?)a YouTube personality making 300k+ a year.  Why even bother going to college?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
this thing is bonkers. but, I mean, does it shock anyone at all? I'm shocked the feds got involved. like, I'd imagine a good 20% of the old guard of congress are now phoning home to mom (probably RIP) with tears in their eyes.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:57:14 PM »
This is a very interesting subject to discuss with people irl. It's really a wildcard in terms of how people respond.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:17:46 AM »

ESPN had one of the coaches labeled Texas Tech on a graphic, twice, but they must have had a graphic fail because I can't find a published tie. Lots of public schools involved in this though and I just don't get that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 12:22:27 AM »
This is a very interesting subject to discuss with people irl. It's really a wildcard in terms of how people respond.

I feel like the only people truly fired up about this is a very narrowly defined group, parents of kids who they were feel like they were wronged in the selection process and already resent rich people.

I think everyone assumed how this was done, it's unbelievably interesting how it was actually done in this case though. I mean this guy had to have made millions of dollars by doing nothing more than giving someone, someone else's money. It's like The Mule come to life, but only four rich people who use their children as status symbols.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 12:34:17 AM »

I feel like the only people truly fired up about this is a very narrowly defined group, parents of kids who they were feel like they were wronged in the selection process and already resent rich people.

I think everyone assumed how this was done, it's unbelievably interesting how it was actually done in this case though. I mean this guy had to have made millions of dollars by doing nothing more than giving someone, someone else's money. It's like The Mule come to life, but only four rich people who use their children as status symbols.
Yeah. I mean, privileged people somehow skirt the rules applicable to everyone else? *clutches pearls*

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:13:14 AM »

ESPN had one of the coaches labeled Texas Tech on a graphic, twice, but they must have had a graphic fail because I can't find a published tie. Lots of public schools involved in this though and I just don't get that.
Pretty sure there was a UT coach

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 03:31:56 AM »
I was surprised at how badly people wanted in USC. And I think there's no surprise that rich people will try to use their influence to help kids get to school, but paying for test fraud is pretty crazy. The scheme to have the coaches claim the kids are recruits is a pretty interesting/creative way to cheat.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 07:17:29 AM »
lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
. Why didn't these people just walk into the chancellor's office and offer to build a building?
  Really

Headline should read "Rich dumb parents get duped"

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 07:56:01 AM »
I read that most of these people, while rich, are not rich enough to essentially donate a building.

USC is sort of interesting. Not noteworthy as academically prestigious. But possibly more exclusive than the average private school purely because so many rich kids want to go there. ??

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »
I also think they are doing it to boost the future acting careers of their kids.  Looks better that they were smart enough to get into the likes of USC or Stanford vs LA Juco. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
I think it's great. Prosecute everyone to the fullest extent of the law, as a symbolic gesture more than anything else.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
not every texas kid can get into tech and not every California kid can get into usc. parents bribing to make it happen isn't surprising and yeah it seems like there is a lot of "lets make an example out of them" going on right now.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
I mean one of Lori’s daughters is (I guess was now?)a YouTube personality making 300k+ a year.  Why even bother going to college?

she actually answered that question on a youtube vid. she wants to experience tailgates and parties.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »

she actually answered that question on a youtube vid. she wants to experience tailgates and parties.

which, i mean, hell yeah.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
not every texas kid can get into tech and not every California kid can get into usc. parents bribing to make it happen isn't surprising and yeah it seems like there is a lot of "lets make an example out of them" going on right now.

it's more than bribing, it is all very hilarious.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »

I've also seen quite a bit of reaction like this:

https://twitter.com/eveewing/status/1105548008475820033?s=19

https://twitter.com/Jasbeingjas037/status/1105586153485451265?s=19

And while everyone kind of knew about the buy a building-get into Harvard method, the amount of outright cheating and influence of coaches is pretty remarkable in this case

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
4. Why didn't these people just walk into the chancellor's office and offer to build a building?
I think the answer is any one or more of the following:

1.  Buildings are more expensive than doing it "illegitimately"
2.  They want their kids to believe they did it on their own merit
3.  They want their friends to believe their kids did it on their own merit

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]