Author Topic: Has this championship changed how you either think or act regarding KSU MBB?  (Read 19855 times)

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I'm kind of like Pete in that I have come to accept/tolerate oscar.  I can no longer argue his success here and results as a coach.  I still do not like him though, and never will.  The sound of his voice still makes my skin crawl.  That stupid, clueless grin on his face still annoys the crap out of me.  I still cannot stand his idiotic gyrations or screeching of players names while on the sideline.  His pathetic excuses and passive aggressive bullshit still makes me want to punch him in the face.  I still have my @Testy Westy magnets on my beer fridge.  I do love Kstate though and will always follow/support/cheer for its teams.  My entertainment does not come from the coaches, it comes from the teams winning, or at least being competitive.  So I'll keep watching and enjoying what has become a fun team of adorable Cats.  I will curb my venom towards oscar and not call for his head after every loss.  I'll even give him that next year there may be significant drop off.  That's to be expected when you have a successful senior class like this year's.  I like Sneed and Cartier and McGuirl though and will enjoy watching them play.  You can bet your ass though that there had better be some upward trajectory in 2020/21 or I'll be right back on that "Burn it Down/Fire oscar" train. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
It has definitely made me realize oscar is out standing . . .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
God you are so good at that

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar did good this year.  It’s going to fall off a cliff next year and anybody who thinks otherwise is insane.  But this year was pretty fun.

It’s just sad to see that the Frank Martin era at Kstate still makes a certain group of people so very very angry. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
oscar did good this year.  It’s going to fall off a cliff next year and anybody who thinks otherwise is insane.  But this year was pretty fun.

It’s just sad to see that the Frank Martin era at Kstate still makes a certain group of people so very very angry.
count me as insane. I still think they'll have an Oklahomaish season next year. Bubble tourney team. Gordon kid out of Chicago will have an instant impact.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I didn’t realize how many people stopped their BB fandom permanently with franks departure.   Has been a sobering realization.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Such an interesting caveat. Great job winning the conference this year! BUUUT we're definitely not winning it again next year, so...

It's like, "I'M RIDE OR DIE WITH BACK-TO-BACK CHAMPIONSHIPS!"

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Such an interesting caveat. Great job winning the conference this year! BUUUT we're definitely not winning it again next year, so...

It's like, "I'M RIDE OR DIE WITH BACK-TO-BACK CHAMPIONSHIPS!"

Weird take, but not surprising.   Who said anything about back-to-back Peppers?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar's goofiness has evolved to incorporate his newfound big daddy outbursts that are both hilarious and badass, so personality-wise he's fine with me now. basketball-wise this team is tough as eff in its own right and the carti windmill/The Flush's confidence are fistpump-worthy developments in themselves. and the wins have finally come, which is the most important thing.

i mean trim 3:16 for sure but i think this team is extremely likeable if you give them a chance.

This is really well said.

Next year will be interesting, I think Carti as "the man" can be pretty darn good. We'll see.

If X is back, with Carti, Mike, Mak, Trice, SNW, plus newcomers I can see oscar coaching up a bubble team.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm not usually an optimist but I think we could be better than a bubble team :horrorsurprise:  Not that I expect us to really challenge for anything meaningful, but I could see a top half B12 finish and 8 or better in the NCAAs.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m hopeful for lots more alley oop dunking with next years squad.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Being a bubble team is pretty fun, and I’m already a big Cartier/X fan, so I think next year could be alright.

Offline Kenneth Noisewater

• Fan
    • View Profile
 I do not know how X can’t be back. He’s not ready to be a pro, unless it’s like in Europe, China or Siberia. If he’s back, I think we have a chance to be middle of the pack decent-kind of good.
 There are some on GPC who believe he’s gone, though, so what do I know.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If you are satisfied with this being the ceiling for K-State basketball, Oscar's your man. You could make the case it is the ceiling. No final fours since 1964  despite seven Elite Eight runs. Two conference championships in the last four decades.
I would hope we could to better or at least more consistent, competing for the league title more ofter and making more of out tournament appearances. I wish I would spend the next few weeks worrying UCLA or Arizona was going to steal our coach. An aggressive recruiter could field a respectable team next year by building on what is in place.

Anyway some thoughts about how Oscar handled the opportunity before him this year. I fault him and the staff first and foremost for failing to improve the talent level of a final eight team. Given bench players who could only charitably be called projects who could have be moved on to make room for useful talent, this is even a greater failure. If ever there was a year to bring in a frad transfer to help with either of two glaring deficiencies of outside shooting and rebounding, this was it. The staff had to know Trice was too raw to solve the latter weakness. If not we have greater problems.
But rebounding wasn't the difference today. We lost when ICU went zone.

I credit the staff with handling the potentially troubling Stokes/Diarra well. They seemed to get the team to buy in with the Stokes decision. It always seemed to me a preference of steadiness over potential stardom. but Stokes was the best player on the team the last month. Diarra erased any potential conflict by foolishly injuring himself mid-conference. In retrospect, that injury likely contributed to Brown's late-season doldrums. He just didn't seem to be able to get into the lane like he did in the first three-quarters of the season.
Staff's reticence to post up Sneed mystifies me. It seems a missed offensive opportunity on a scoring-challenged team. On the other hand, they got more than I expected from Mak, as much as he frustrates me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If you are satisfied with this being the ceiling for K-State basketball, Oscar's your man. You could make the case it is the ceiling. No final fours since 1964  despite seven Elite Eight runs. Two conference championships in the last four decades.
I would hope we could to better or at least more consistent, competing for the league title more ofter and making more of out tournament appearances. I wish I would spend the next few weeks worrying UCLA or Arizona was going to steal our coach. An aggressive recruiter could field a respectable team next year by building on what is in place.

Anyway some thoughts about how Oscar handled the opportunity before him this year. I fault him and the staff first and foremost for failing to improve the talent level of a final eight team. Given bench players who could only charitably be called projects who could have be moved on to make room for useful talent, this is even a greater failure. If ever there was a year to bring in a frad transfer to help with either of two glaring deficiencies of outside shooting and rebounding, this was it. The staff had to know Trice was too raw to solve the latter weakness. If not we have greater problems.
But rebounding wasn't the difference today. We lost when ICU went zone.

I credit the staff with handling the potentially troubling Stokes/Diarra well. They seemed to get the team to buy in with the Stokes decision. It always seemed to me a preference of steadiness over potential stardom. but Stokes was the best player on the team the last month. Diarra erased any potential conflict by foolishly injuring himself mid-conference. In retrospect, that injury likely contributed to Brown's late-season doldrums. He just didn't seem to be able to get into the lane like he did in the first three-quarters of the season.
Staff's reticence to post up Sneed mystifies me. It seems a missed offensive opportunity on a scoring-challenged team. On the other hand, they got more than I expected from Mak, as much as he frustrates me.

1. We gave up 1.21 PPP in the second half with a 61% eFG. We gave up 70+ points three times this season, I'm sure you won't need many guesses to figure out what our record is in these games.
2. I'm not sure you can blame this on the coaches. It doesn't appear to me that X is comfortable with his back to the basket. We also do not have the personnel to support a double post offense.