Author Topic: EMERGENCY!  (Read 20747 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: EMERGENCY!
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
I heard today that the house can force a vote on whether to uphold the national emergency. Unlikely to go anywhere but will be interesting to see which pubs if any don’t want this mark in their record.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »
Dax, do you think that drugs are here mostly because they are coming across an insecure border? Is there some fantasy that once we secure the borders, Americans won’t love drugs?

No, but the drumbeat for what is essentially an unsecure/open border by LibDerp Nation would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.   This is all about politics for you guys.

Sadly, the mega corrupt governments to our South are not capable of controlling their own territories.   It would almost be better for our national security if there was strong armed dictators with huge police states at their disposal then the mega corrupt banana republics that are there now . . . which is extremely sad to say.
Well you answered the question with the first word, then rambled about unrelated stuff. Thanks.

Tapout noted. Thanks
Which non-sequitur would you like me to address?  The part where I’m a member of “LibDerp nation”? I guess if you’ve defined it as anything to the left of Ann Coulter, sure, but I’ve rarely voted Democrat and always show up as an outlier on the political quizzes that are posted here. Maybe we should talk about your diatribe expressing Trumpian lust for powerful dictators leading police states?

And of course it’s politics, the most dangerous threat to The United States is currently the president. We would all be wise to oppose him at every turn.  Especially when he tries to seize additional power.

:lol: at the most dangerous threat to the United States being the president.   The president that wants to extract the United States from wars that LibDerp Nation and play every side to fit your personal agenda types such as yourself, used to vehemently oppose?  The president that's tired of sons and daughters being sent to far off lands to nation build and die in countries that don't want us, where we still spend billions of billions of dollars to build their infrastructure while ignoring our own?  That president?

The president that has repeatedly called for Congress to produce real immigration reform?  That president?   But Congress refuses to do so merely because they don't want Trump to have any political victories and of which a large part want to see an open and dangerous border so Trump can't fulfill a campaign promise? 

The president who wants to talk to North Korea and try to bring peace to the Korean peninsula but because LibDerp Nation and people like can't stand the thought of Trump building political cache you continually oppose and mock?  Apparently preferring that North Korea continue lob missiles over the heads of our Allies and continue to act in a bellicose manner? 

A president that actually wants to get along with the country that has the 2nd largest nuclear stock pile in the world?   But oh my garsh Trump is just a Russian puppet!  Yet it can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt the real bendover cuck boy to Russia was Lib Hero Barry Obama . . . while Trump moves to move nearly every Russian client state away from the Russian sphere of influence and into the U.S. sphere of influence . . . except the one that's in the midst of the greatest humanitarian crisis of our time where it's better to actually bring peace, rather than the war that Barry Obama helped bring.  That president?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »
using executive power to seize private citizen's land to then throw billions of dollars at a dubious solution to a premise that is mostly supported due to scare tactics ripped from a Netflix movie will be the rube's defining moment.

I cannot wait
Which congress expressly opposes. 

So much for the party of limited government.  It's crazy that the Dubs and Daxs of the world have been conned/memed into viewing this kind of governance as favorable/neutral.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »
using executive power to seize private citizen's land to then throw billions of dollars at a dubious solution to a premise that is mostly supported due to scare tactics ripped from a Netflix movie will be the rube's defining moment.

I cannot wait

So much for the party of limited government.

So now we can chalk LibDerp Nation up to opposing government land grabs?   Multiple decades late to that table, but welcome none-the-less I suppose.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »

I cannot wait

So now we can chalk LibDerp Nation up to opposing government land grabs?   Multiple decades late to that table, but welcome none-the-less I suppose.
Good grief.  I'm not a lib, dax.

I don't like overreaching uses of imminent domain.  Just because Don has an R next to his name and slashes taxes doesn't mean I have to rah rah him for doing bullshit like this.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »
This presser is something.

"I'm going to sign a national emergency. Great thing"

https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/1096434977489731584

I wish I could have watched it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2019, 10:18:14 AM »
In some regards I really miss President Teleprompter.   

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
This presser is something.

"I'm going to sign a national emergency. Great thing"

https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/1096434977489731584

I wish I could have watched it.

The transcripts are my favorite part.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »

I cannot wait

I've always been opposed to it.  It's weird as hell to see you so in support of the federal government seizing private citizens land to build a ridiculous wall.  What if they won't give it up?  Arrest them?  Take by force?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:13 AM »

I cannot wait

I've always been opposed to it.  It's weird as hell to see you so in support of the federal government seizing private citizens land to build a ridiculous wall.  What if they won't give it up?  Arrest them?  Take by force?
It's mindblowing the lack of self-awareness on display here.  Dax - take a moment and think about what you're supporting.  You're arguing that the president is right to declare a national emergency -- not because of any existential security threat -- but instead to give him the power to seize land from private citizens to construct an expensive and dubious solution to a dramatized problem.  And you're calling me a lib?

It's OK (and good!) to say "wait a minute, this isn't what we agreed to!" You're still allowed to support the party and even the president, while recognizing that this move is complete, complete bullshit.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »
Imminent domain has always been fairly popular with both parties. It's also very necessary for building any sort of public works project.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
More confiscation obsession, good grief kdub

I’m (probably) exaggerating, of course. The point I’m trying to make is that comparing the use of emergency power by pubs, to secure our border, to a future progressive president’s use of emergency power to further the progressive agenda, is silly. I expect that any such progressive actions would be wildly unpopular and politically damaging. I don’t think the same is true for increasing border security, no matter what the results of selectively worded and sampled polling might suggest to you.

People like Occassional Cortex may be too stupid or radical to care, the folks who are still in charge of the Dem party know better. It’s an empty threat.

I know you never believe any polling, but anecdotally TexAgs (where you will be banned if you don't fall somewhere to the right of Ted cruz) is at least 1/3rd against this national emergency nonsense.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
Imminent domain has always been fairly popular with both parties. It's also very necessary for building any sort of public works project.
The Republican Platform literally opposes expansion of eminent domain. 

For something as dodgy and novel as building a border wall to curtail illegal immigration, you would think the Republican viewpoint would err on the side of protecting individuals' property rights.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:19 AM »
"I didn't need to do this"

Definition of an national emergency

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/republicans-warned-the-left-would-gut-the-constitution-trump-did-it-instead

man remember when pubs loved the constitution and hated executive overreach

those were the days...

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
so who will take these citizen's land by force?  Can the president mobilize the US Army to use its weapons against our citizens to take their private property?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »
The Republican Platform literally opposes expansion of eminent domain. 

For something as dodgy and novel as building a border wall to curtail illegal immigration, you would think the Republican viewpoint would err on the side of protecting individuals' property rights.

I don't think this would qualify as an expansion of imminent domain. If I were to support building the wall, I would also have to support paying every landowner fair market value for their land through condemnation, just like governments do all the time for highway expansions. It's not inconsistent with the republican ideology in the slightest.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
Maybe this is what we've been keeping all these guns for? Someone organize this militia!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »

I cannot wait

It's mindblowing the lack of self-awareness on display here.  Dax - take a moment and think about what you're supporting.  You're arguing that the president is right to declare a national emergency -- not because of any existential security threat -- but instead to give him the power to seize land from private citizens to construct an expensive and dubious solution to a dramatized problem.  And you're calling me a lib?

It's OK (and good!) to say "wait a minute, this isn't what we agreed to!" You're still allowed to support the party and even the president, while recognizing that this move is complete, complete bullshit.

The only reason you're opposing this, is because 1.  It's Trump 2.  You want an open border.

First of all, the border which is the demarcation point for a nations sovereign territory absolutely falls under the purview of the Government, anything to the contrary is laughable.   The fact that LibDerp Nation is trying to say a border and border security wall falls into the category of Bill or Barry stroking a pen and grabbing hundreds of thousands of acres of land in Utah or Nevada is comical in every respect.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
I had not considered that the wall will not require the use of ED.  Still pretty sure that there was a promise that Mexico would pay but the rubes who believed that can reconcile that in their little heads.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »

I cannot wait

The only reason you're opposing this, is because 1.  It's Trump 2.  You want an open border.

First of all, the border which is the demarcation point for a nations sovereign territory absolutely falls under the purview of the Government, anything to the contrary is laughable.   The fact that LibDerp Nation is trying to say a border and border security wall falls into the category of Bill or Barry stroking a pen and grabbing hundreds of thousands of acres of land in Utah or Nevada is comical in every respect.

now tell me why you support the use of the "national emergency" declarartion in this instance..

:bwpopcorn:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
You can tell someone is losing an argument when they tell the other side what they believe. 

"I'm not going to argue with what you're saying, I'm going to argue with what I say you believe!"

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »

I cannot wait

now tell me why you support the use of the "national emergency" declarartion in this instance..

:bwpopcorn:

Lotta flailing going in LibDerp Nation about all of this . . .not unusual at all, but still very  :lol:

You don't want it dubbed as a national emergency because you want open borders.

Any other modern nation facing the prospect of thousands upon thousands of undocumented/unknown people crossing it's borders at once (nearly 2,000 at once at one single point the other day) would classify the situation as a national emergency.    Particularly knowing that those people crossed through millions of miles of territory not controlled by any government and rife with a powerful national/international criminal enterprises.

How many more mass graves are they going to need to find near the border before LibDerp nation finally gets it?