Author Topic: Big 12 Arenas  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Big 12 Arenas
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »
ITT we will talk about Big 12 arenas. Fav's? New 'nas being built? Best environments.

K-State: Very meh, but v. good for big games. Renovation in the pipe? 5-10 years out? Earlier? I'm interested to see rendos
KU: LOL, needs millions and millions in renos.
Iowa St: Smells absolutely terrible. Good-ish environment for big games.
OU: Holy crap it's bad. But they do real flames during entros, p. cool
OSU: Trash. Great history, but the renovation sucks crap. Don't sit higher than 5th row or you'll get sick from all the empty orange seats.
TCU: New renovation, but still meh. Also hate their really bright court.
BU: Currently place blows ass. New arena coming soon, rendos have me intrigued. Could be a cool place.
UT: Currently place blows ass. New arena coming soon as well. Could be a cool place too.
TTU: Decent arena, way too big? Terrible environment. Only decent when team is like the best in the world (never)
WVU: Pretty stale place, but decent old arena? V. good when they're v. good

Post pics of what you like/hate in here.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 Arenas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
Baylor new place:

Texas new place:

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
Baylor rendo is v nice.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
Is that a glass ceiling for Baylor?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
AFH (aka The Piss Barn aka The Pagoda of Piss aka The Mecca of Stale Urine): smells like human excrement.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »
Collectively, the arenas in the conference are horrific. I've been to all of them but the new TCU arena, which seems fine on tv, and United Supermarkets Arena, lol. I agree with shooter, that the USA seems way too big.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 01:54:45 PM »
the baylor thing seems cool, but wouldn't it get pretty bright/glary in there during the day games?  is that an issue or is that just something i made up in my mind

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:59:32 PM »
the baylor thing seems cool, but wouldn't it get pretty bright/glary in there during the day games?  is that an issue or is that just something i made up in my mind
There are some new glazing systems that have very low transmissivity under direct sunlight, so it can be done.  I'd guess that is what this is.
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
There are some new glazing systems that have very low transmissivity under direct sunlight, so it can be done.  I'd guess that is what this is.
So basically it's like transition lens sunglasses where it will become more opaque (?) when the sun is on it?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
Collectively, the arenas in the conference are horrific. I've been to all of them but the new TCU arena, which seems fine on tv, and United Supermarkets Arena, lol. I agree with shooter, that the USA seems way too big.

This.

I'll really be interested to see the Mustang's full plans and some renderings of them w/ an estimated $80 mill. Ole Miss just built a brand new field house for $80-85 (closer to 100, but an estimated $15 mill of that was for an attached parking garage).

The right reno (or hell, a new $85-100 mill fieldhouse) of Bramlage could move up to one of the nicest/if not the nicest in the conference.

(also, read the OP again and injoyed my entros typo)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
Doesnt AFH have some pretty intense hot spots during afternoon games? Feels like the glare shines off the backboards

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
This thread got me thinking about other CBB arenas I've been in, which got me thinking about Mizzou. There was no where close to the amount of crap given that Mizzou deserved to be given. They were forced to name their arena after a donor's, living, 22 year old daughter, who didn't even go to school there. Then they had to take her name off when it was discovered that she paid people to do her school work for her.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
So basically it's like transition lens sunglasses where it will become more opaque (?) when the sun is on it?
Yes, though where sunglasses are photochromic, the windows would likely be electrochromic so that they are controllable.
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 02:19:10 PM »
Yes, though where sunglasses are photochromic, the windows would likely be electrochromic so that they are controllable.
Remarkable.

This thread got me thinking about other CBB arenas I've been in, which got me thinking about Mizzou. There was no where close to the amount of crap given that Mizzou deserved to be given. They were forced to name their arena after a donor's, living, 22 year old daughter, who didn't even go to school there. Then they had to take her name off when it was discovered that she paid people to do her school work for her.
I still call it The Paige.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »
The modern fieldhouse look is pretty cool IMO.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
From the grumblings I've heard, a rough plan for Bramlage is to blow out the west (maybe north too) and make it have a few levels and premium stuff. One renovation I can think of that would be similar is Houston, where they blew out one side of the bowl and made some premium seating and suites/suite level, etc. Obviously it would be a lot different, but kind of an idea.

facilites plan here:

Houston before:

Houston after:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
I hate arenas with windows. Its stupid.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »

One of the most LOL things ever. That the parents wanted to name it that is one of the most weird/pathetic things I've ever heard of.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
It's basketball. Who cares. Spending money on basketball arenas is plain stupid. I want JumboTrons, squat racks, and limestone.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
Every game the aisles bother me at the OOD. The aisle going right down center court is high on my pet peeve meter.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 05:22:16 PM »
It's basketball. Who cares. Spending money on basketball arenas is plain stupid. I want JumboTrons, squat racks, and limestone.

This account sucks

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
Guys, I hope they don't eff up the OOD renos. Also, hate the current facilities plan from an aesthetic POV. No thanks on the current layout, it looks...awkward.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
Also, Baylor reno is hot sex. Texas reno is bland NBA wannabe. Love TCU's digs. Would take.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang