Author Topic: kso_FAN stats and charts and stuff  (Read 13018 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
kso_FAN stats and charts and stuff
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
I'm just going to put this in one place and master thread this thing. Sorry I haven't been around over here as much.  :blindfold:

I'll start off with my first Bracketology of the season! (seeds 1-5)

And the updated Big 12 breakdown according to today's NET

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: kso_FAN stats and charts and stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Season and Big 12 advanced stats.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
Thanks fan. It looks like projecting seeds will be a nightmare this year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »

It is going to be a mess. It is kind of fun to put the numbers in a chart and figure it out on your own, even then you find yourself going back and forth.

I nearly bumped KU down to a 4 because they have to be looked at as the Doke-less version. They still have some nice wins without him, but not nearly as impressive. If they end up losing Vick too, that should be another hit on their resume. Granted, they are still rolling out 5 Top 100 guys on that team.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »
4 seed? SLAP TO THE WHOLE FACE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »

It is going to be a mess. It is kind of fun to put the numbers in a chart and figure it out on your own, even then you find yourself going back and forth.

I nearly bumped KU down to a 4 because they have to be looked at as the Doke-less version. They still have some nice wins without him, but not nearly as impressive. If they end up losing Vick too, that should be another hit on their resume. Granted, they are still rolling out 5 Top 100 guys on that team.
How closely are they expected to follow the NET? Just deviate when team composition isn't reflected by overall season numbers, or just use as one of many factors?
:adios:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:38:14 PM »

How closely are they expected to follow the NET? Just deviate when team composition isn't reflected by overall season numbers, or just use as one of many factors?

From what I've read and heard, the NET will be used just like the RPI last year, its just supposed to be a more comprehensive metric. The primary purpose is to set the Quad wins/losses for each team and the SOS for each team. The selection process will be similar with team sheets that break out OOC and league games, wins and losses, road and home, and other metrics like kenpom. Perhaps since it should be a better metric, they will use it some when comparing and setting the S curve and stuff, but I'm not sure on that. I don't think they'll just look at the raw number much, just like they didn't with the RPI.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 01:39:50 PM »
Do you have a off/def big 12 ranking spreadsheet? Would be interested to see how KSU measures up to the other teams in efficiency etc...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
Do you have a off/def big 12 ranking spreadsheet? Would be interested to see how KSU measures up to the other teams in efficiency etc...

Here is the one from this weekend. I'll make a new one tonight after the OSU-Tech game.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »

Here is the one from this weekend. I'll make a new one tonight after the OSU-Tech game.

You’re the best.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »

From what I've read and heard, the NET will be used just like the RPI last year, its just supposed to be a more comprehensive metric. The primary purpose is to set the Quad wins/losses for each team and the SOS for each team. The selection process will be similar with team sheets that break out OOC and league games, wins and losses, road and home, and other metrics like kenpom. Perhaps since it should be a better metric, they will use it some when comparing and setting the S curve and stuff, but I'm not sure on that. I don't think they'll just look at the raw number much, just like they didn't with the RPI.
Gotcha. I'll be interested to see how it goes. It seems to me that with supposed "better" rankings they may lean on them more but who knows.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
Gotcha. I'll be interested to see how it goes. It seems to me that with supposed "better" rankings they may lean on them more but who knows.

True and if it's truly better they should. I do like it much better than the RPI, but adding a capped MOV when you already have efficiency differential is very redundant. I think the other parts make some sense though, but the NET seems to line up pretty well with most other metrics that include efficiency.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
Said it in another thread but don't know where, but wanted to mention that you've done great on the radio.  I hopped into one segment midway and thought "this guy knows his stuff" before realizing it was you.  Of course your numbers are good, but you also do well on the radio.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:18:52 PM »
I was unaware Houston had a top 6 NET rating. Seems like they’ve have flown under the radar a bit.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »
I was unaware Houston had a top 6 NET rating. Seems like they’ve have flown under the radar a bit.
Sampson!

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 02:55:58 PM »
Said it in another thread but don't know where, but wanted to mention that you've done great on the radio.  I hopped into one segment midway and thought "this guy knows his stuff" before realizing it was you.  Of course your numbers are good, but you also do well on the radio.
ditto.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »
So is the bracketology your prediction or your personal ranking _Fan?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
So is the bracketology your prediction or your personal ranking _Fan?

It is my picks for the top 5 seeds for the bracket if the season ended right now.

ditto.

Thank you. Its been a lot of fun and I'm just honored Kurtz asked me to have a little segment on The Game/Powercat Gameday. Kurtz, Mason Voth, and Mitch Fortner do a great job on KMAN.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »
Sampson!

Man, I totally forgot!

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
Sampson!

They are pretty darn good. The American isn't very strong of a league but they'll be a tough out.

Remember Rob Gray last year? Loved him.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »

Interesting. Just curious: What's your rationale for "ranking" possessions from fewest to most? Just convenience? It doesn't seem to me that number of possessions is a normative factor the way the others are.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
Interesting. Just curious: What's your rationale for "ranking" possessions from fewest to most? Just convenience? It doesn't seem to me that number of possessions is a normative factor the way the others are.

Actually I accidentally flipped it on this chart, I usually sort pace fastest to slowest. Yes, its really just informational about how fast/slow each team plays, there isn't a "better or worse" pace.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »
Updated Big 12 chart.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 06:13:52 AM »
Finally cracked the top 25 in the advanced metric rankings!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »

it looks like that now, but everybody has 6-7 more games + conf tourney to help sort things out