Author Topic: Big 12 Arenas  (Read 9909 times)

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 Arenas
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
can we get the classy cats in church choir robes...

That, in and of itself, would require a herculean effort.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
The pipe organ should be made so that the pipes can be lifted and lowered to form a giant middle finger for when it plays Sandstorm.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »
I just don't understand why we don't move back into Ahearn or have at least one game a year there.. and wear the lavenders.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
I just don't understand why we don't move back into Ahearn or have at least one game a year there.. and wear the lavenders.

Because Ahearn is a total dump
:adios:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »

Because Ahearn is a total dump

Also, Ahearn is far removed from regular Athletic facilities now. Not that that is a huge deal.

I'd love if they tore down Bramlage (still love it) and made a modern 10k seat Ahearnesque building complete with limestone on the outside, pitched roof, windows, but with lux boxes, suites etc. Looks like that is a pipe dream also.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
Bram is what, 30ish years old?

We're not getting new for at least 20 more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
Yes, Ahearn may be old and outdated, but I would love to be able to see what at least one basketball game in there was like.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
do both now that track will have an updated indoor

update Ahearn to make an elite small venue for volleyball/womes bball and special events

I also think that the nature of Bram allows you to facade it however you want withoutchanging 75% of the structure.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »
I'll date myself.

Ahearn, like Allen, changed over the year, For the first 20 after opening in 1951, its entire interior surface was dirt. Games were played on a raised platform floor. Sometime in the ealry 70s, they put in the running track and some kind of synthetic court. That court was used only one year because it wasn't kind to legs.

Seating dropped from 13k plus when it opened to just more than 10 kin its last year. Some end zone bleachers seats had views restricted by court side. Basically little league baseball stands.  There would sometimes be mud puddles you had to walk around.In the late 70s, I watched games from the student seating, wich was courtsid to the north and the mable eastern third of the sourth court side.

It was a loud, great experience. But restrooms were a horror. Unlike in its early days, fans couldn't smoke in their seats, bbut they could go down behind the bleachers at have time and light up. There was often a haze of smoke handing around the second half. Photos from the 50s capture a constate smoke haze.
During the early 80s Blackman years, a guy I worked for bought me season tickets in the metal balcony in the west end zone. I remember watching the 96-69 win against KU from there in which a staggered VD. Valentine walked the ball up court late in the game so that we didn't score 100.

BB ended at Ahearn after 37 years. Bram is now 31 years old. Games at Doom can get just as loud, but its not as consistently crazy as when we competed for championships every year.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »
I'll date myself.

Ahearn, like Allen, changed over the year, For the first 20 after opening in 1951, its entire interior surface was dirt. Games were played on a raised platform floor. Sometime in the ealry 70s, they put in the running track and some kind of synthetic court. That court was used only one year because it wasn't kind to legs.

Seating dropped from 13k plus when it opened to just more than 10 kin its last year. Some end zone bleachers seats had views restricted by court side. Basically little league baseball stands.  There would sometimes be mud puddles you had to walk around.In the late 70s, I watched games from the student seating, wich was courtsid to the north and the mable eastern third of the sourth court side.

It was a loud, great experience. But restrooms were a horror. Unlike in its early days, fans couldn't smoke in their seats, bbut they could go down behind the bleachers at have time and light up. There was often a haze of smoke handing around the second half. Photos from the 50s capture a constate smoke haze.
During the early 80s Blackman years, a guy I worked for bought me season tickets in the metal balcony in the west end zone. I remember watching the 96-69 win against KU from there in which a staggered VD. Valentine walked the ball up court late in the game so that we didn't score 100.

BB ended at Ahearn after 37 years. Bram is now 31 years old. Games at Doom can get just as loud, but its not as consistently crazy as when we competed for championships every year.
  I agree with your recollections except the Doom can not get as loud as Ahearn.   The fans make as much noise but the acoustics are nothing like Ahearn.
 For example
 Former Kansas State coach Tex Winter said in his biography Trial By Basketball: "Kansas State won a lot of ballgames because of that crowd. Many times during timeouts you couldn't hear yourself talk. All I could do was scribble a play on the floor. The crowd there never died, even in one of our lulls – the crowd would come alive and pick us up."

The other thing Ahearn had was students filled the east side bleachers and they were within six feet of the floor.  Very intimidating for other teams.  Wish they would modify Bramalage to allow students that close.  Maybe there are rules prohibitying it now but it would also get the students competing for those front row seats like we used to do a Ahearn.

Also,  The changing fire codes did drop capacity but not to 10,000.
Changing fire codes over the years forced changes to the seating arrangements that eventually reduced seating capacity to 12,220 for the 1987-1988 season, the final season of men's basketball at Ahearn. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
I was just gEing with the Ahearn thing.

We're stuck with Bramlage, great practice facility next door and it's in the athletic village already.

Now, if $80 million is going to be spent on renovating part of Bramlage, I'd rather hold off and spend more to completely re-do the place. Thinking, the reno they want on the west side for premium suites/suite level, a traditional Ahearny field housey pitched roof with some limestone maybe, expanded concourse, maybe party decks or something on the ends, I don't know. Just a new and modern throw back fauxback field house. Possibly rename it Bramlage Field House or Ice Family Field House or something.

Also, I love Washington's arena. Anyone been since their latest reno?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
So how does Bramlage have such a losery tradition, yet K-State has a winning record at home every season of it's existence?

Tear it down and build new on the spot and create a winnery tradition.