Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016202 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #2725 on: October 08, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
Trance ...  :horrorsurprise:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: October 08, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
seeing gravity tonight  :Woot:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: October 08, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »
saw Rush this weekend, thought it was fantastic
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
I don't think my anxiety could handle that one.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: October 08, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »
feel like thats one that would be very disappointing if you didnt see it on the big screen

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: October 08, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »
feel like thats one that would be very disappointing if you didnt see it on the big screen

Just got back. See it on the big screen or don't bother. I hate 3D but it's required. It's crazy to see a movie that big be in (basically) real time. Story wasn't excellent, but visually it is just so amazing.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: October 08, 2013, 11:49:29 PM »
i thought the story was excellent.  on the verge of tears from about 2/3 of the way in till the end.  wanted to stand and cheer at one point.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
i thought the story was excellent.  on the verge of tears from about 2/3 of the way in till the end.  wanted to stand and cheer at one point.

I did cry.  Twice.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: October 09, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »
Oh good grief, really?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: October 09, 2013, 12:05:17 AM »
Oh good grief, really?
Get ready to check PM.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: October 09, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
Not like bawling, but some tears were shed.  Some scenes really struck a nerve with me.  Sandra Bullock nailed that mother rough rider.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 09, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
Chernobyl Diaries.

Just awful.  The characters were stupid and annoying and unlikeable and they didn't even work in a gratuitous tit shot of the blonde.  I was actually happy when the mutants and the radiation started killing them off.  Pretty good idea for a movie but the execution of the idea was poor.  The scenery was decent tho, I believe the movie was filmed in some abandoned towns in eastern Europe.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: October 09, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
Shadow Dancer  .... i couldn't really understand anyone half the time because irish, and i don't totally know the politics of IRA / Republic / whatever stuff, but hey it was okay!

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »
been watching a lot of old movies lately  i will now rate them on an a, b, c, d, f scale, (a is the best).

citizen kane: a+
gilda: c
the searchers: c
some like it hot: b
pycho: a
dr strangelove: a+
the killing: b+
chinatown: a
the crying game: b-
the shining: a+
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:07:14 AM by seven »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:29 AM »
watched side effects tonight.  pretty good flick.  worth sitting down and watching.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: October 17, 2013, 01:24:41 AM »
watched side effects tonight.  pretty good flick.  worth sitting down and watching.

I had severe reservations about watching this after seeing the previews (figured it would be a giant hate film on the prescription drug system). 

Going in with my mind already set, I couldn't have been more wrong and really enjoyed it.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:40 AM »
been watching a lot of old movies lately  i will now rate them on an a, b, c, d, f scale, (a is the best).

Have you (or anyone else) seen Room 237?   It got great reviews by critics and good reviews by people.  Haven't gotten around to seeing it.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: October 17, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
heard some guys talking about it on the radio, but i haven't seen it.  they seemed to think that it was a mixture of enlightening and bullshit.

In a March 27, 2013 article in The New York Times, Leon Vitali, who served as personal assistant to Kubrick on the film, stated "There are ideas espoused in the movie that I know to be total balderdash"; for example, the documentary's theory concerning a poster of a minotaur is in fact referencing a poster of a skier and the film's usage of a German typewriter, interpreted to be symbolic of the Holocaust, was chosen by Kubrick for pragmatic reasons. He concluded that "[Kubrick] didn’t tell an audience what to think or how to think and if everyone came out thinking something differently that was fine with him. That said, I’m certain that he wouldn’t have wanted to listen to about 70, or maybe 80 percent [of Room 237]... Because it’s pure gibberish."[18]

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:48:47 AM by seven »

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:43 AM »

Disagreements (although I agree with you on most of it):

1. I understand that Citizen Kane is regarded as the best movie of all time. I think the directing is the best that has ever been done, and considering the time, the acting is right up there. But at some point when you're reviewing movies, you have to take into account entertainment value. And Citizen Kane is straight up boring. I watched it twice in one week once and there are maybe two scenes that I found entertaining, and I'm not cool with that.

2. Glad we agree on "The Searchers". Did you know it was the main inspiration for the final 10 minutes of Breaking Bad? Pretty cool.

3. It's hard to find an argument against "Psycho" being the "biggest" movie of its time. Main character being killed off early, a killer who's an "average guy", but the biggest thing is that before that, movie theaters played movies on repeat and the viewer would walk in and watch it from wherever it was when they got there "Psycho" was the first movie to have a set start time that people were in the theater for because Hitchcock didn't want to ruin the ending.

4. Therefore, "Psycho" is way better than "The Shining" and I'm pretty upset you don't agree.

5. "Chinatown" may be the most underrated classic movie of all time.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: October 17, 2013, 02:22:19 AM »
I'm a kubrick fanboy, and the shining is just so damn kubrick.  Anthony Perkins is like perfect in psycho tho.

About citizen Kane, it felt like a modern movie and it was made 70 years ago.  I didn't find it boring in the least.

Also add;
The thin blue line:  a   (I could fall asleep to this movie every night, I love the soundtrack)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
watched Mud last night. hmmph. I liked it. Will probably not watch again tho. It kept obnoxiously reminding me of Winter's Bone (backwoods hillbillies looking for a fugitive, young adult main character gets beat up by older scary characters, etc) but that's not Mud's fault. 7/10.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: October 17, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »

Disagreements (although I agree with you on most of it):

1. I understand that Citizen Kane is regarded as the best movie of all time. I think the directing is the best that has ever been done, and considering the time, the acting is right up there. But at some point when you're reviewing movies, you have to take into account entertainment value. And Citizen Kane is straight up boring. I watched it twice in one week once and there are maybe two scenes that I found entertaining, and I'm not cool with that.

2. Glad we agree on "The Searchers". Did you know it was the main inspiration for the final 10 minutes of Breaking Bad? Pretty cool.

3. It's hard to find an argument against "Psycho" being the "biggest" movie of its time. Main character being killed off early, a killer who's an "average guy", but the biggest thing is that before that, movie theaters played movies on repeat and the viewer would walk in and watch it from wherever it was when they got there "Psycho" was the first movie to have a set start time that people were in the theater for because Hitchcock didn't want to ruin the ending.

4. Therefore, "Psycho" is way better than "The Shining" and I'm pretty upset you don't agree.

5. "Chinatown" may be the most underrated classic movie of all time.

wait. so psycho is better than the shining because movie theaters changed the way the operate because of it? 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: October 17, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
Stevesie seems like he knows what he is talking about, but there is no way people just walked into the middle of movies and stuck around to watch the end then the beginning right after that. Psycho was like 1960. There were movies with twists and important endings before. Like, IDK, Citizen Kane for one.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
Stevesie seems like he knows what he is talking about, but there is no way people just walked into the middle of movies and stuck around to watch the end then the beginning right after that. Psycho was like 1960. There were movies with twists and important endings before. Like, IDK, Citizen Kane for one.

i'll take his word for it. i just have a problem saying one movie is better than the other for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual movies themselves. but hey that's just me, private citizen rick daris.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: October 17, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
Stevesie was exaggerating a little bit. There were always start times, but Psycho was apparently notable for not letting people in late due to the early killing of a character, not a twist ending.

The most controversial move was Hitchcock's "no late admission" policy for the film, which was unusual for the time. It was not entirely original as Clouzot had done the same in France for Les Diaboliques.[108] Hitchcock thought that if people entered the theater late and never saw the star actress Janet Leigh, they would feel cheated.[30] At first theater owners opposed the idea, claiming that they would lose business. However, after the first day, the owners enjoyed long lines of people waiting to see the film.[30]