Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 999715 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #975 on: May 14, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
Dark Shadows was :flush:

Yes, it was awful.

I'm not sure what you guys expected.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 15, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
Tree of Life

Really wanted to see it, especially since my friend poetwarrior held it in such high regard.  I learned that sometimes movies, films, works of poetry, pieces of art, whatever, can get their head so far up their asses that it forgets where it is and can't see or explain anything.

Why not show dinosaurs for 20 minutes?
Great point!!!

This wasn't a movie.  I learned that some people call it "impressionistic."  Well, "impressionistic" is a nice way of saying that the movie doesn't make any sense at all, and will spend upwards of 2 and a half hours telling some kind of coming of age story about a character you have no reason to give a crap about.

Two thumbs down!

(no offense to PW)

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 15, 2012, 07:12:50 AM »
Tree of Life

Really wanted to see it, especially since my friend poetwarrior held it in such high regard.  I learned that sometimes movies, films, works of poetry, pieces of art, whatever, can get their head so far up their asses that it forgets where it is and can't see or explain anything.

Why not show dinosaurs for 20 minutes?
Great point!!!

This wasn't a movie.  I learned that some people call it "impressionistic."  Well, "impressionistic" is a nice way of saying that the movie doesn't make any sense at all, and will spend upwards of 2 and a half hours telling some kind of coming of age story about a character you have no reason to give a crap about.

Two thumbs down!

(no offense to PW)

Disagree.  Have watched the first hour 45 and it is wonderful. Don't know if I'll finish it, but enjoyed what I saw.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 15, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
I loved all of Tree of Life until the last half an hour or so. That's when it gets weird.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 15, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
I loved all of Tree of Life until the last half an hour or so. That's when it gets weird.
that's when it get's weird? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr. Feelgood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
Tree of Life was weird, no doubt.  I enjoyed it though.  I enjoyed it for the fact that it was a movie(sort of??) that begs the viewer to ask the question, "why?"  Why is my time significant? Why am I here?  It makes the viewer ponder how lucky they are, for the fleeting chance of life, even if being lucky means you must realize how insignificant your life really is in the grand scheme of things that were, are, and are to come.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
And see I get the idea.  I understand that you're not supposed to "understand  it" and that it's supposed to help you become introspective.  But the thing is, I reject that as art. 

For example, if I go to an art gallery and see a pile of feces on a canvas, I'm going to be mortified and offended, and that won't change when the pretentious artist comes up to me and says "I know it's strange, but what does it say about human nature?"  If I go to a 2 and a half hour movie with a disjointed storyline, characters I hardly know anything about, and just absurd (artistic?) cinematography, I'm not going to call it art, I'm going to call it a waste of my time.

Apparently the director's cut is 6 hours.  6 hours.  If that isn't an example of directorial masturbation, well, I don't know what is.

Having said that, I'm glad you guys liked it. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 15, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
also, the child actors in tree of life, my god, i could not believe how great they were. pretty demanding roles, for the oldest son in particular. there were lots and lots and lots of scenes and takes in that film

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
Tree of Life was weird, no doubt.  I enjoyed it though.  I enjoyed it for the fact that it was a movie(sort of??) that begs the viewer to ask the question, "why?"  Why is my time significant? Why am I here?  It makes the viewer ponder how lucky they are, for the fleeting chance of life, even if being lucky means you must realize how insignificant your life really is in the grand scheme of things that were, are, and are to come.

so i should see it

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 15, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
the cinematography was amazing, dlew, like, jaw-droppingly so

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »
ToL was SOOOOO disappointing.  They could have really made something with that story and characters.   Beautiful imagery.    Then they throw in 10 minutes of constellations and dinosaurs.   rough ridin' DINOSAURS.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 15, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
also, the child actors in tree of life, my god, i could not believe how great they were. pretty demanding roles, for the oldest son in particular. there were lots and lots and lots of scenes and takes in that film

That's what I kept coming back to. It may have been more impressive than the cinematography.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 15, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »
ToL was SOOOOO disappointing.  They could have really made something with that story and characters.   Beautiful imagery.    Then they throw in 10 minutes of constellations and dinosaurs.   rough ridin' DINOSAURS.

best part of the movie stupid face.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 15, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
A few things.

I can respect that someone wouldn't enjoy the slow pace, structure or tone conveyed by the form employed. It's not for everyone and it's something you must become accustomed to or be predisposed to. However, while some may find it distracting and confusing, others may see it as the near perfection of an art form, as I do.

Critiques regarding the weirdness or saying that it cannot be understood and that it is not intended to be understood are incorrect. I believe I correctly understand it. In general, it's about a family (especially a son, mother and father) and their place in the cosmos (which is not insignificant) and in relation to God, as well as a Christian understanding of nature vs. grace. I think that every frame intentionally supports these purposes, using additional material (light, sin, death, etc.) for clarity. A background with these subjects can help. I've seen it several times, but did not need to to form a basic understanding of what is occurring.

I cared for the characters immediately, I saw myself in them.

Feces on a table is not valid. The Tree of Life uses a form and means of expression that are valid, without pretension. And a director's cut does not officially exist and probably never will. If it ever does, it will be because footage was shot that would further aid the vision of the director.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:18:51 PM by PoetWarrior »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 15, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
A few things.

I can respect that someone wouldn't enjoy the slow pace, structure or tone conveyed by the form employed. It's not for everyone and it's something you must become accustomed to or be predisposed to. However, while some may find it distracting and confusing, others may see it as the near perfection of an art form, as I do.

Critiques regarding the weirdness or saying that it cannot be understood and that it is not intended to be understood are incorrect. I believe I correctly understand it. In general, it's about a family (especially a son, mother and father) and their place in the cosmos (which is not insignificant) and in relation to God, as well as a Christian understanding of nature vs. grace. I think that every frame intentionally supports these purposes, using additional material (light, sin, death, etc.) for clarity. A background with these subjects can help. I've seen it several times, but did not need to to form a basic understanding of what is occurring.

Feces on a table is not valid. The Tree of Life uses a valid form and means of expression that are valid, without pretension. And a director's cut does not officially exist and probably never will. If it ever does, it will be because footage was shot that would further aid the vision of the director.
PW,

I really respect your opinion.  I was too harsh in my original critique.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 15, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
It's OK to not like it. But a certain level of respect is certainly deserved for each part of the production.

It's not perfect.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
It's OK to not like it. But a certain level of respect is certainly deserved for each part of the production.

It's not perfect.
If it impacts me on my second viewing, in some profound way, I'll have you to thank.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »
If it impacts me on my second viewing, in some profound way, I'll have you to thank.

Look for what you know to be true.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 15, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »

Look for what you know to be true.
ok

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 15, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
A few things.

Feces on a table is not valid. The Tree of Life uses a form and means of expression that are valid, without pretension. And a director's cut does not officially exist and probably never will. If it ever does, it will be because footage was shot that would further aid the vision of the director.

im usually down with all this.  but i really did not enjoy tree of life.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »
first movie i ever wanted to stay in my seat and just watch again. i go to the cinema every wednesday.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
Just saw "The Grey" last night. I enjoyed it.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 16, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
i watched 21 jump street the other day and actually laughed several times.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 16, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
Just saw "The Grey" last night. I enjoyed it.

Typical fanning.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
Born on the Fourth of July

God bless America
 :frown: