Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016653 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #11550 on: October 22, 2021, 11:26:26 AM »
I just can't do sci fi crap and I hate it, because ever since I purchased HBO Max, I've forced myself to watch every shitty movie that comes out.

Most of the HBO Max movies released on their premier date have been shitty. The limited series are where you get what you pay for.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: October 22, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
I just can't do sci fi crap and I hate it, because ever since I purchased HBO Max, I've forced myself to watch every shitty movie that comes out.

Most of the HBO Max movies released on their premier date have been shitty. The limited series are where you get what you pay for.
Agreed. I've found some pretty entertaining tho. I really enjoyed the new suicide squad.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: October 24, 2021, 12:32:56 PM »
DUNE is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it was very good. Very aesthetically pleasing.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: October 26, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »
DUNE is amazing

I wish I had read the book first. I just watched it tonight having no idea what to expect. It started really slow. I enjoyed it once the pace picked up a bit but I wasn't blown away by any means.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: October 27, 2021, 06:20:53 AM »
hadn't read the book and watched it last night.  i thought it was great. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: October 27, 2021, 08:27:06 AM »
DUNE is amazing

I wish I had read the book first. I just watched it tonight having no idea what to expect. It started really slow. I enjoyed it once the pace picked up a bit but I wasn't blown away by any means.

Someone on Twitter commented that they didn't like the story arc. I can understand that. I'm excited that Dune 2 has been green lighted.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: October 27, 2021, 08:34:58 AM »
I heard someone else say it felt like the first 3 episodes of a 10 episode series, which I think is what my problem was. It just barely got going and now we have to wait 2 years to continue.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: October 28, 2021, 04:29:29 AM »
i had really low expectations for saints of newark because the trailer looked like crap, and 13 year old tony doesn't really interest me. luckily the movie isn't really about tony at all and i thought it was really good.

*SPOILER ALERT*

is the prison ray liotta a figment of dickie's imagination?   :Wha:
Many saints was terrible. A good chunk of it was so bad I was laughing at it.  The parts that were supposed to be “for the fans” were so bad that I now buy in to theory that David chase did this movie just as a middle finger to fan-boys of the show. 

I think anyone that likes the sopranos should watch it just to see how bad it is, but anyone that is not in to sopranos should only watch it if they like mob movies and would enjoy a bunch of tropes in a bad mob movie.
Watched it last night. Thought it was fine. What parts were so bad you laughed at them?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: October 28, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
I heard someone else say it felt like the first 3 episodes of a 10 episode series, which I think is what my problem was. It just barely got going and now we have to wait 2 years to continue.
This. It was fine, but meh. Slow play for long payday for the Dune series. Just wait 10 years and binge them all at once.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: October 28, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
i had really low expectations for saints of newark because the trailer looked like crap, and 13 year old tony doesn't really interest me. luckily the movie isn't really about tony at all and i thought it was really good.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Many saints was terrible. A good chunk of it was so bad I was laughing at it.  The parts that were supposed to be “for the fans” were so bad that I now buy in to theory that David chase did this movie just as a middle finger to fan-boys of the show. 

I think anyone that likes the sopranos should watch it just to see how bad it is, but anyone that is not in to sopranos should only watch it if they like mob movies and would enjoy a bunch of tropes in a bad mob movie.
Watched it last night. Thought it was fine. What parts were so bad you laughed at them?

*SPOILER ALERT*

SPOILERS

The entire character of Junior on the original Sopranos was that he was an old man, past his prime that was slowly becoming senile as the show went on.  The writing/acting of Junior in the movie as a young man was the exact same! It was absurd!

The use of the brothers/twins for Hollywood Moltisanti and Dicky's uncle in prison

The scene where Dicky coaches a blind baseball team--I think it is meant to be like a dream sequence/him lying about being a good person but it plays so absurdly and I don't think it really works

The idea that Tony would steal an ice cream truck and beat up the driver without thinking twice but then would balk at some stolen speakers

The idea that a mob girlfriend would confess to cheating on a guy with a black guy in the 1960's is so dumb and hilarious I just burst out laughing, like what are we talking about here?!

The entire third of the movie that deals with the Black Saints does not make much sense to me at all it literally seemed like "ah, Moltisanti---Many saints, lets get some more saints in here!"

The scene where Tony is supposed to meet at Holsten's but Dicky gets killed was so heavy handed

I just think there were so many "reveals" that fans of the show would see that were both beaten over the head and unsatisfying and play so badly I think the best theory is that David Chase hates fans of the show and is punishing them

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: November 03, 2021, 05:29:04 PM »
I also thought Dune was really cool and a well made movie.  Looking forward to future Dune installments. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: November 03, 2021, 10:20:00 PM »

The Venus and Serena movie on Max in 2 weeks tho :excited:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: November 04, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
Last Night in Soho - Edgar Wright's new horror movie.  Not super scary or anything but I give points for uniqueness as well as Edgar Wright. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: November 04, 2021, 09:07:45 AM »

The Venus and Serena movie on Max in 2 weeks tho :excited:
:love:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: November 05, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »
New Bundy movie was too slow. 3/7.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11565 on: November 07, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
Caught a little bit of Midway tonight. Looked good. I'll let you know how it is after I watch the whole thing this weekend.
Watched Midway tonight. CGI effects were great. Some of it was overdone but the underlying story remains incredible. One of the most consequential single days in the annals of naval warfare. Would watch again.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: November 11, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »
Antlers - I get horror movies not wanting to show the creature.  I'm paying for a Guillermo Del Toro horror movie though and I want to see what he came up with. Overall though, it was fine.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: November 11, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »
Antlers - I get horror movies not wanting to show the creature.  I'm paying for a Guillermo Del Toro horror movie though and I want to see what he came up with. Overall though, it was fine.

did they really not show jesse plemons?

HI YO

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: November 13, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »
Dora The Explorer live action movie. Quite possibly the worst thing I’ve ever watched. Absolutely terrible. 0 out of 5.

Jungle Cruise. Fun, ridiculous, plot is bad, anything The Rock is in I will watch. 4 out of 5.

Jungle Cruise was meh.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: November 13, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »
Free Guy was really bad.  VERY cringey in many places, especially where the famous video game players were on screen saying stuff.  I just can't get over how bad and unfunny it was because I usually love Ryan Reynolds.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: November 13, 2021, 05:31:21 PM »
Free Guy was really bad.  VERY cringey in many places, especially where the famous video game players were on screen saying stuff.  I just can't get over how bad and unfunny it was because I usually love Ryan Reynolds.

I saw Free Guy in the theatre. I thought it was a decent movie. I don't remember thinking it was cringey.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: November 14, 2021, 12:00:09 PM »
Shang-chi is pretty good!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: November 15, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »

I saw Free Guy in the theatre. I thought it was a decent movie. I don't remember thinking it was cringey.

Well, I guess one mans cringey is another mans not cringey.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: November 15, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
Also my wife and I watched FINCH on Apple TV and we both loved it.  Funny, feel-good (mostly), plenty of action, under 2 hours.  This is really my kind of movie.  If you know of any other movies like this let me know.  Go watch FINCH on Apple TV, you won't regret it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: November 15, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
Clifford the Big Red Dog is a Big Brown Turd