Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 999667 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #10350 on: April 09, 2020, 08:04:50 AM »
The Killing of a Sacred Dear - Entertaining.  Not a traditional horror that would scare people but that genre of horror where you're just uncomfortable a lot of the movie.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: April 09, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
I rough ridin' loved Good Boys. Plus it exposed me to one of the best songs from last year, "Go To Town" by Doja Cat.

Just watched her music vid.  Didn't pay attention to the lyrics cause I was fascinated with her superfluous plump rump.  What an asset.   :Jeffy:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: April 10, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
The Platform on Netflix was certainly one of the most creative movies I’ve seen in a long time. And a fascinating demonstration of economic games and theories such as the Tragedy of the Commons (also might have some elements of Prisoner’s Dilemma and Public Goods Game mixed in - haven’t quite untangled where this movie’s premise best fits). I also think the varying prison sentences maybe pollute the true efficacy of the movie's premise as an economic experiment.

It’s not perfect and has at least one gaping plot hole, but I still highly recommended.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:03:02 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: April 12, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
The death of Stalin is on netflix now. One of the best comedies of the last few years.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: April 12, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
Parasite was incredible, i don't know what the overrated talk was all about. You're just not supposed to be able to effortlessly shift genres and tone like that, and have the movie still work. and it works beautifully. i don't think i've seen anything quite like it.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: April 12, 2020, 08:30:22 PM »
also Ragnarok was so great! when Banner jumps out of the spaceship and just flops around on the bridge, amaze

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: April 12, 2020, 08:33:56 PM »
Parasite was incredible, i don't know what the overrated talk was all about. You're just not supposed to be able to effortlessly shift genres and tone like that, and have the movie still work. and it works beautifully. i don't think i've seen anything quite like it.
Pffft. OK, hipster chodecat.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: April 12, 2020, 09:05:35 PM »

It really wasn't all that enjoyable, interesting, or special in any way. Big fat meh.

Death of Stalin had some absolutely hilarious moments. I think it ran too long.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:16 PM »
:cheers: Spracne
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: April 12, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »

It really wasn't all that enjoyable, interesting, or special in any way. Big fat meh.

You didn't find the first act comedy enjoyable?
You didn't find the plot interesting?
I already explained how it was special thematically.
You can just say you didn't like it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: April 12, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »
I don't think it flipped genres naturally. But really enjoyed it

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: April 13, 2020, 11:54:53 AM »

You didn't find the first act comedy enjoyable?
You didn't find the plot interesting?
I already explained how it was special thematically.
You can just say you didn't like it.

Without spoilers, I just thought the whole premise was too contrived, and then it was just kinda boring. And I don’t think the foreign language / subs were the reason for that. I can think of other subtitled movies I’ve really liked. To me, this is kinda like what happened with other movies (Ex Machina comes to mind), where there seem to be a lot of people who want Parasite to be a lot more profound than it actually is.

Interestingly, after watching and really enjoying The Platform, I read that many are comparing it to Snowpiercer. I thought Snowpiercer was visually interesting, at least for a while, but had such a stupid premise that I couldn’t enjoy it. And Snowpiercer and Parasite have the same director so maybe there’s something in common there that I just don’t like.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »
Without spoilers, I just thought the whole premise was too contrived, and then it was just kinda boring. And I don’t think the foreign language / subs were the reason for that. I can think of other subtitled movies I’ve really liked. To me, this is kinda like what happened with other movies (Ex Machina comes to mind), where there seem to be a lot of people who want Parasite to be a lot more profound than it actually is.

Interestingly, after watching and really enjoying The Platform, I read that many are comparing it to Snowpiercer. I thought Snowpiercer was visually interesting, at least for a while, but had such a stupid premise that I couldn’t enjoy it. And Snowpiercer and Parasite have the same director so maybe there’s something in common there that I just don’t like.

I think you need to see some of these movies before the hype goes on too long.  I've tried to get away from it but sometimes the hype takes away from the experience.  It seems your reviews for Ex Machina and Snowpiercer were tainted by other people's grandiose reviews.  I don't necessarily disagree with you on either of your takes, but think you would enjoy them more if you saw them without the weight of expectations on them.  I thought of Snowpiercer as an interesting concept that wasn't fully fleshed out.  That said, I think it made a great popcorn movie as great visuals and an interesting starting point is more than I get from most movies.  Being able to accept Snowpiercer as that made it a lot more enjoyable to me.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: April 14, 2020, 10:46:07 AM »
yeah ksuw decided he was not going to like parasite / snowpiercer as soon as he heard a critic mention "class"
i watched snowpiercer a few years ago knowing nothing about it, and thought it was a good premise but kind of meh / too reliant on fight scenes to be a good movie (iirc)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: April 14, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
there is a pixar animated short that accomplishes what Snowpiercer did with the same premise

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10365 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
I rough ridin' loved Good Boys. Plus it exposed me to one of the best songs from last year, "Go To Town" by Doja Cat.

Just watched her music vid.  Didn't pay attention to the lyrics cause I was fascinated with her superfluous plump rump.  What an asset.   :Jeffy:

Gotta resist the urge to turn this into a doja cat thread. Let's just say she's troubled.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: April 14, 2020, 11:42:55 AM »
yeah ksuw decided he was not going to like parasite / snowpiercer as soon as he heard a critic mention "class"
i watched snowpiercer a few years ago knowing nothing about it, and thought it was a good premise but kind of meh / too reliant on fight scenes to be a good movie (iirc)

Keep that garbage in the pit, please. Plenty of people interpreted The Platform as a narrative on class divsions also. I liked it. The Hunger Games is about class. I liked it (the first one). Gattaca, class, loved it. I could name more. I don't care how people interpret movies - I only care whether the movie is enjoyable or interesting. Parasite was neither. If you liked it or took away something meaningful, bully for you.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: April 14, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »
Like when the Morgan Freeman meteor movie came out at the same time as the oscar Willis meteor movie.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: April 14, 2020, 12:23:02 PM »
Like when the Morgan Freeman meteor movie came out at the same time as the oscar Willis meteor movie.

it's in the thread!

https://twitter.com/KrisTosAplSauce/status/1249562530047053824

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: April 14, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
i actually think about that a lot, weirdly. i've always thought it could be a behind-the-scenes mutually beneficial thing because it stirs up comparison talk so people feel the need to see both to get in on the conversation.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: April 14, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
i actually think about that a lot, weirdly. i've always thought it could be a behind-the-scenes mutually beneficial thing because it stirs up comparison talk so people feel the need to see both to get in on the conversation.

kinda like having all the car dealerships right next to each other in a way

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: April 14, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »
Hunger games and Divergent.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: April 14, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »
You guys remember Mission to Mars and Red Planet and how they both totally sucked? I mean you'd think at least one of those would have been good. Nope.

And then there was The Prestige and The Illusionist which were both pretty good in totally different ways.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile