Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1017272 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #5050 on: January 14, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
gone girl sucked, what's the point?

Like don't cheat on your wife...

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: January 14, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
gone girl. i mean we're all in agreement that the first 85% was pretty great but then the end, right?

You mean the end was better than great?

no. i thought the end was pretty lame. i liked the first and middle parts though.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »

Fatal Attraction was a better cautionary tale about not cheating on your wife. Gone Girl was too far out there to be believable. And then the ending was dumb.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: January 14, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »

Fatal Attraction was a better cautionary tale about not cheating on your wife. Gone Girl was too far out there to be believable. And then the ending was dumb.

OK, maybe Don't marry a crazy person.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
has anyone seen Bronson starring shirtless tom hardy? should i move it to the next spot in my tom hardy instant queue?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: January 14, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »
yeah - it's kinda messed up. very british. that dude was crazy.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: January 14, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
has anyone seen Bronson starring shirtless tom hardy? should i move it to the next spot in my tom hardy instant queue?

it put tom hardy on the map. an amazing character study. it's a winding refn joint (Valhalla Rising, Drive), so if you're into that...

oh and he's more than shirtless

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: January 14, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
Bronson is v good
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: January 14, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »
Frank -- Hilarious. Really, really liked it.

The One I Love -- Same guy who did "Safety Not Guaranteed."  Pretty decent concept.

Chef -- Cheesy  ;) as hell, but an enjoyable watch.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: January 15, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »
Anybody seen Dear Zachary? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

I've heard some pretty great things about it, but also that it is supremely sad.
Good grief, those poor grandparents.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: January 15, 2015, 08:17:36 AM »
dlew is my movie filter. he pumps it, i will watch it. he dumps it, it's a no go for me. have not seen frank or the one i love, so it looks like i will need to roll up my sleeves this weekend and go to work.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »
Frank -- Hilarious. Really, really liked it.

The One I Love -- Same guy who did "Safety Not Guaranteed."  Pretty decent concept.

Chef -- Cheesy  ;) as hell, but an enjoyable watch.

i love safety not guaranteed. i liked but did not love the one i love.

i don't think i stopped smiling for one second of Chef

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »
I like funny-weird movies (for example, Wes Anderson stuff), but Frank was mostly just depressing-weird. Only had a few genuinely funny moments. Would skip. Or maybe just watch the first half hour for the bizarre novelty of a guy wearing a huge fake head all the time, but the movie doesn't ever really take off or get any better.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
KSU Wildcats is wrong.  It's a charming movie.  And besides, if RD can handle Skeleton Twins (which far outweighed Frank on the "depressing-weird" scale), then he'll handle Frank.  And the less you know about Frank the better.  Don't IMDB it.  Try not to figure out who Frank is.  I knew who it was going into it (read a review) but the payoff would've been so much better had I not.

I also watched Barney's Version last night.  Paul Giamatti is probably my favorite actor.  The movie was so so, but watching Paul Giamatti (and Dustin Hoffman) act for a few hours is always time well spend.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: January 15, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
Selma - :star: :star: :star: :star:

a fantastic movie in every way. i don't have the words to do it justice, just know it's very important that you see it.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: January 15, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
KSU Wildcats is wrong.  It's a charming movie.  And besides, if RD can handle Skeleton Twins (which far outweighed Frank on the "depressing-weird" scale), then he'll handle Frank.  And the less you know about Frank the better.  Don't IMDB it.  Try not to figure out who Frank is.  I knew who it was going into it (read a review) but the payoff would've been so much better had I not.

I also watched Barney's Version last night.  Paul Giamatti is probably my favorite actor.  The movie was so so, but watching Paul Giamatti (and Dustin Hoffman) act for a few hours is always time well spend.

Skeleton Twins was much funnier than Frank, more entertaining, and not even close on the "depressing-weird" scale to Frank. Overall, Skeleton Twins was actually pretty uplifting. Frank was just weird and not that funny. If I'm going watch something bizarre, it has to at least be entertaining. After two hours of that I was like "well, crap, that sure was weird and a waste of two hours."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »
the judge- it was ok.
whiplash- pretty darn good.
liberal arts- enjoyed it. very dlewy.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: January 16, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
the judge- it was ok.
wasn't whiplash fantastic?  JK Simmons has always been a pretty fun actor, but man, was he something in Whiplash.

i've never heard of liberal arts.  decent enough reviews on rotten tomatoes and i can see the little sundance insignia on the poster.  looks like something i'd enjoy.

Also, I watched Frank again last night.  And yep, still good. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: January 16, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
the judge- it was ok.
wasn't whiplash fantastic?  JK Simmons has always been a pretty fun actor, but man, was he something in Whiplash.

i've never heard of liberal arts.  decent enough reviews on rotten tomatoes and i can see the little sundance insignia on the poster.  looks like something i'd enjoy.

Also, I watched Frank again last night.  And yep, still good.

yeah. the movie was very good but jk simmons was great. i do think you would enjoy liberal arts.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: January 16, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »
Finally saw Boyhood, cuz Austin and stuff.  You want my opinion? Just imagine a large, breathy sigh.  Hhhhaaaaaughhh.... :/

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: January 17, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »
frank- first movie i've seen in a while where i actually really liked the ending.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: January 17, 2015, 02:51:37 AM »
frank- first movie i've seen in a while where i actually really liked the ending.
yep it was a perfect "well...that fits" sort of feeling.  it ended how it should've ended and i was proud of john for handling it like he did (at that point).

did you follow my advice/were you surprised by who frank was????

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
yep it was a perfect "well...that fits" sort of feeling.  it ended how it should've ended and i was proud of john for handling it like he did (at that point).

yeah. i new zero about the movie before watching. i was like whoa maggie gyllenhaal. it was surprising i guess, but then i knew it might be. anyway, halfway through i'm like this is ok but i can't really imagine watching it again. but after watching the whole thing, i want to wait a week or two and then watch a second time.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: January 17, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »

yeah. i new zero about the movie before watching. i was like whoa maggie gyllenhaal. it was surprising i guess, but then i knew it might be. anyway, halfway through i'm like this is ok but i can't really imagine watching it again. but after watching the whole thing, i want to wait a week or two and then watch a second time.
ha yeah.  frank up at the cabin is just such a delightful character.  when he handles that german family  :lol:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: January 17, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »

ha yeah.  frank up at the cabin is just such a delightful character.  when he handles that german family  :lol:

that part had me grinning ear to ear like i was a seventh grade winnie cooper standing at my locker talking to kurt mccray for very first time.