Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1000115 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #9775 on: March 27, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »
I can't wait for the BlackTrump'saRacist review
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: March 27, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
I can't imagine reviewing green book as terrific (Which obviously was) and staging yourself for a BlackTrump'sracist movie next (after not learning a thing from the previous movie). Very amazing mindset heading into that one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:12:16 PM by WackyCat08 »

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: March 27, 2019, 03:58:56 PM »
What do you mean, wackycat08?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: March 27, 2019, 04:07:25 PM »
Not surprised KSUW thinks that nominating Black Panther for BP was racist.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: March 27, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »
He's talking about watching blackkklansman next, right?

Both have racial settings. Sounds like he enjoyed one and he's already going into the other with a "they're out to get the white man" mindset on the second one. Probably because of who made the movie I'd assume. Doesn't sound like he got the message from the first one tho.  :frown:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:21:45 PM by WackyCat08 »

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9780 on: March 27, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
I imagine kdub takes a "out to get the white man" approach to all media, it's what makes his reviews so entertaining.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: March 27, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »
He's talking about watching blackkklansman next, right?

Both have racial settings. Sounds like he enjoyed one and he's already going into the other with a "they're out to get the white man" mindset on the second one. Probably because of who made the movie I'd assume. Doesn't sound like he got the message from the first one tho.  :frown:

I’m referring to Spike’s not-so-subtle call-outs to Trump supposedly peppered throughout the movie. I thought that was a pretty obvious reference. His predictable idiotic sermonizing aside, I’m betting it’s a pretty entertaining movie.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:50:36 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: March 27, 2019, 04:54:07 PM »
Not surprised KSUW thinks that nominating Black Panther for BP was racist.

I kind of felt like it was, honestly. It's a little bit ridiculous for a comic book movie to be nominated in the first place, but Black Panther was the third best comic book movie of 2018. Spiderverse and Avengers were both better.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #9783 on: March 27, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »
Black Panther was also like the top grossing Marvel movie ever (even more than Infinity War if I’m googling correctly), which could have been a factor. I mean I didn’t think it was great either but I know a ton of people who did.

Or maybe you’re right and they just wanted black people to feel good.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: March 28, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Black Panther was also like the top grossing Marvel movie ever (even more than Infinity War if I’m googling correctly), which could have been a factor. I mean I didn’t think it was great either but I know a ton of people who did.

Looking at the other nominees, I just don't believe revenue is supposed to be a factor in what gets nominated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: March 28, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
i'm still furious that the fate of the furious didn't get nominated for BP in 2017, it was the 2nd highest grossing movie of the year

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: March 28, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
Infinity war for real should have been nominated, it's a very good film.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: March 28, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
Do I need to watch the previous ones to enjoy this flick? I liked Iron man 1 and 2, both Deadpool's, and BP, but that's about my extent on comic book movies.

Well that and all the batman's and original Spiderman's. I still don't know who Thanos(?) is or understand the meme's :carl:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: March 28, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »
Not really, I've only seen a handful of the marvel movies. The other movies probably provide a deeper background, but for the most part they'll provide a line or two of dialog to get people caught up.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: March 28, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
Nice.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »

Looking at the other nominees, I just don't believe revenue is supposed to be a factor in what gets nominated.

But blackness is? My point is there is a much simpler explanation on the table than racism. The Academy even tried to include a “popular film” category in 2018 for crying out loud.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
Do I need to watch the previous ones to enjoy this flick? I liked Iron man 1 and 2, both Deadpool's, and BP, but that's about my extent on comic book movies.

Well that and all the batman's and original Spiderman's. I still don't know who Thanos(?) is or understand the meme's :carl:
You don't have to but it would certainly help, you won't understand why the hulk takes a hiatus considering he had been stuck in hulk form for like 3 years. and idk if you will understand what happened to thors eye, or why loki is so significant. It's very good and it will certainly set up the drama for endgame.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: March 28, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »
 :thumbs:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: March 28, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »
Yes, they've been trying to get more widely successful movies into the best picture nominees. That's been a goal for the past few years.

I also don’t at all doubt that having a majority black cast and leadership were also factors in determining that black panther was "groundbreaking" in the blockbuster action category. People that say it was only nominated in a patronizing manner miss that point I think. I thought overall it was meh, but lots of people didn't. I went to the ward pkwy target on Halloween and 75% of the little black boys (and quite a few little white boys too) there trick or treating were dressed as black panther.  That made me think about the film and in different terms, more of an acknowledgement of an achievement.

Of course infinity war was also a pretty groundbreaking achievement for tying 10 years of work over 20+ films together flawlessly. It's very impressive.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: March 28, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »
It’s a decent movie even if you haven’t seen many of the MCU movies, but you’ll enjoy it more if you have. You can skip Thor 1 and Hulk and Iron Man 2 and 3 for sure. I’d at least watch Guardians 1 and 2, Thor Ragnorak, the Captain America movies, and the prior Avengers movies, which are all pretty good.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9795 on: March 28, 2019, 10:15:45 AM »
I also don’t at all doubt that having a majority black cast and leadership were also factors in determining that black panther was "groundbreaking" in the blockbuster action category. People that say it was only nominated in a patronizing manner miss that point I think. I thought overall it was meh, but lots of people didn't. I went to the ward pkwy target on Halloween and 75% of the little black boys (and quite a few little white boys too) there trick or treating were dressed as black panther.  That made me think about the film and in different terms, more of an acknowledgement of an achievement.

I agree, but that’s my point. Honoring a mediocre movie because it’s “important to black people” is patronizing and a form of racism. The movie isn’t complete trash - it definitely has some entertaining scenes and characters - but overall it’s too long and too dull. It was not worthy of a best picture nomination by any stretch. And even from a standpoint of cultural significance, I think it will fade quicker than people think.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: March 28, 2019, 10:18:54 AM »
Everything is racism. Yay!

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »
Most best picture nominees fade from cultural significance quickly, black panther will be around much longer (mostly due to commercial success  ocsar bait generally does not garner).

Also boiling my post down to "it's important to black people" really shows the level of prejudice you have going into the subject.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #9798 on: March 28, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
Guys, lets not pit-up the movie thread too much.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:34 PM »
Guys, lets not pit-up the movie thread too much.

I know this is OT ITT, but I noticed that I use the GE term "pit=up or just pit" at the office.  When some of the guys are talking/arguing and somebody comes by and asks what they're doing.  I just them him/her that they are pitting it up again.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.