Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1013089 times)

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #9500 on: December 17, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »
The Greatest Showman was just fine.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: December 17, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »
Mrs Wacky is obsessed with that movie.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: December 17, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »
Finally watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World...  very enjoyable.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: December 20, 2018, 11:52:12 PM »
Once upon a time in america is terrible

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: December 21, 2018, 07:09:02 AM »
I'm a once upon a time in the west guy

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: December 21, 2018, 02:22:51 PM »
I'm a once upon a time in the west guy

Me too.  Loved it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: December 23, 2018, 01:24:50 PM »
Bird Box: 6/7. Netflix original flick starring Sandra Bullock, John Malkovich, and other people you'd recognize. Based on the popular, eponymous novel. It's in the vein of a Stephen King book/movie, which might be why I liked it. So if you don't like movies like The Mist, or The Stand, then you wouldn't like this one. It's also like a nonshitty A Quiet Place. A little hokey, but it really maintains the suspense the whole time. I was sad when it ended.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: December 23, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
Me and my 8 year-old thought Aquaman rough ridin' ruled.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:12 AM »
Bird Box: 6/7. Netflix original flick starring Sandra Bullock, John Malkovich, and other people you'd recognize. Based on the popular, eponymous novel. It's in the vein of a Stephen King book/movie, which might be why I liked it. So if you don't like movies like The Mist, or The Stand, then you wouldn't like this one. It's also like a nonshitty A Quiet Place. A little hokey, but it really maintains the suspense the whole time. I was sad when it ended.

I enjoyed it.  Not super great but worth a watch

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: December 25, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
Bumblebee is very good imo. Much better than the Michael Bay Transformers movies. Good character development and just the right amount of action. Many good laughs and feels as well.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9510 on: December 25, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »
I’ve seen it a ton of times, but, The Book of Eli is a great flick movie. I looked it up and the reviews are terrible, but who even trusts critics!?

I am obviously not a religious person but I get chills at the end when he’s reading off each line of Genesis and the wild haired guy is writing it down. I mean how can you not get chills? The foundation of every civilized society in history is a strong faith of some kind.

I may not agree with it and believe, but I understand the profound impact it has. Maybe that’s why I like the movie so much is because if nuclear war does happen, faith and a higher power can and should be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Saaaaaaame. Love that movie. And I'm an athiest.

Sometimes it's nice to enjoy something like that as good entertainment, and it is absolutely that.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: December 26, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »

caught this last night.   The Quiet Place comparisons are going to be there, but it was well done.   

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: December 27, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
The Mule   3.5/7   kind of slow, erratic.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: December 27, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Peppermint was a lot of fun.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: December 27, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
Vice: 4/7
Some good performances but writing was lazy at parts.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: December 27, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
Man, I've been an absolute movie watching fool lately.  This is what I've watched in about the last two weeks -- I think this is all of them:

LA Confidential - Loved it!  Whatever happened to Guy Pearce?  I think I've only ever seen him in this and Memento.  This guy is batting 1000 so far with me.

Baby Driver - Fantastic.  Should not have waited this long to watch it.  See it ASAP if you haven't.

Hell or High Water - Very, very good.  Had high hopes coming in and it exceeded them.

Leave No Trace - Kind of sucked. 

Before Sunrise - I'd been meaning to watch the "Before" trilogy for a while, and finally got around to starting it.  I get the appeal.  Just a lot of back and forth talking.  The characters get kind of annoying.  They have all this cynicism without having any real life experience. But I also think that's a pretty realistic depiction of a 20 somethings who think they have the world figured out.  No real drama or suspense imo, but a nice little time spent with some nicely developed characters.  But my word, that night lasted like, 30 hours with all the crap they did.

Before Sunset - Like Back to the Future II, this made me appreciate the first movie of the series more.  Good sequels do that.

John Wick - OK.  Action for action's sake.  I was probably expecting more. 

Molly's Game - Very fun!  Everything you want out of a movie.  Good job by everyone here.

The Death of Stalin - I liked this.  Pretty funny.  George Bluth is a joy.

Phantom Thread - It was ok.  I could watch DDL do just about anything.  It was very well done, but I didn't really like any characters in the movie from about the halfway point on.  Makes for a difficult watch.

Bird Box - Like the Happening, only not quite as bad?  I don't know.  Definitely suspenseful, but it also hamfisted at times. 

Blazing Saddles - I know I know.  Long overdue.  Some of the bits are really good.  Taken aback by how short the runtime was.

NEXT UP: You Were Never Really Here
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:11:39 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: December 27, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »
Man, I've been an absolute movie watching fool lately.  This is what I've watched in about the last two weeks -- I think this is all of them:

LA Confidential - Loved it!  Whatever happened to Guy Pearce?  I think I've only ever seen him in this and Memento.  This guy is batting 1000 so far with me.

Baby Driver - Fantastic.  Should not have waited this long to watch it.  See it ASAP if you haven't.

Hell or High Water - Very, very good.  Had high hopes coming in and it exceeded them.

Leave No Trace - Kind of sucked. 

Before Sunrise - I'd been meaning to watch the "Before" trilogy for a while, and finally got around to starting it.  I get the appeal.  Just a lot of back and forth talking.  The characters get kind of annoying.  They have all this cynicism without having any real life experience. But I also think that's a pretty realistic depiction of a 20 somethings who think they have the world figured out.  No real drama or suspense imo, but a nice little time spent with some nicely developed characters.  But my word, that night lasted like, 30 hours with all the crap they did.

Before Sunset - Like Back to the Future II, this made me appreciate the first movie of the series more.  Good sequels do that.

John Wick - OK.  Action for action's sake.  I was probably expecting more. 

Molly's Game - Very fun!  Everything you want out of a movie.  Good job by everyone here.

The Death of Stalin - I liked this.  Pretty funny.  George Bluth is a joy.

Phantom Thread - It was ok.  I could watch DDL do just about anything.  It was very well done, but I didn't really like any characters in the movie from about the halfway point on.  Makes for a difficult watch.

Bird Box - Like the Happening, only not quite as bad?  I don't know.  Definitely suspenseful, but it also hamfisted at times. 

Blazing Saddles - I know I know.  Long overdue.  Some of the bits are really good.  Taken aback by how short the runtime was.

NEXT UP: You Were Never Really Here

what in the world are you not even going to watch before midnight?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: December 27, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
I just watched "Warrior".  Pretty great.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: December 27, 2018, 02:49:48 PM »
I watched the trailer for it which satisfied the immediate cliff-hanger from BS ( :Keke: ).  I'll get around to BM ( :Keke: ) soon.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: December 27, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »
The Spiderman cartoon is amazing

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: December 27, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
Is this accurate?

https://www.theroot.com/netflixs-bird-box-is-really-about-how-white-people-dont-1831345159

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: December 27, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »

he had memorable roles in the proposition, the King's Speech, and prometheus/alien covenant

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: December 27, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
I watched the trailer for it which satisfied the immediate cliff-hanger from BS ( :Keke: ).  I'll get around to BM ( :Keke: ) soon.

haha. also, do whatever you want but I think you should watch the third soon. it's different and I think you'll appreciate it more now than later. also, the ending for BS (before sunset)( :Keke: ) is ridiculously good. "baby you're going to miss that plane" as he laughs and touches his ring. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:06:28 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: December 27, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
i don't think i would enjoy that trilogy because ethan hawke

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: December 27, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
bad moms christmas - i went into this movie with zero expectations, it just needed to fill some time for mrs. 'blast and me and we didn't want anything heavy. a stupid bad comedy seemed appropriate. it was worse than i ever could have expected. i did see the first bad moms and i don't remember it being this terrible. holy crap. i am all for stupid comedies but there wasn't anything funny and it was all forced. bad bad movie and anyone involved in its production should feel bad.