Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1011148 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #10400 on: April 22, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
I'm afraid to watch Parasite because I'm a multi-tasker. I should have watched it in the theatre when I couldn't get on my phone.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: April 22, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
I'm afraid to watch Parasite because I'm a multi-tasker. I should have watched it in the theatre when I couldn't get on my phone.
On account of the subtitles, you mean? Just give it a shot. I'm the exact same way, but I was engaged enough watching that it wasn't an issue. And trust me, it's almost always an issue.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:01 PM »
On account of the subtitles, you mean? Just give it a shot. I'm the exact same way, but I was engaged enough watching that it wasn't an issue. And trust me, it's almost always an issue.

Yes. Inevitably something happens in a movie that I want to look up and read about. I'm going to give it a spin this weekend.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: April 23, 2020, 12:32:20 PM »

Yes. Inevitably something happens in a movie that I want to look up and read about. I'm going to give it a spin this weekend.
Amazon prime on a fire is great for this

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: April 23, 2020, 06:28:39 PM »
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker was horrible. abominable.

looks tremendous to this fan of the star wars genre, are you saying i shouldn't watch it?

If you like most Star Wars movies, you will probably also like Rise of Skywalker.

if you like horrible plots (i admit this may subjective) and enjoy criminally negligent storytelling resulting in death (objective truth) then this is the movie for you.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: April 23, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »
That place with the Sith coliseum and Sith test tube babies made me think of some of those very horrible later sequels to Alien.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: April 24, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker was horrible. abominable.

looks tremendous to this fan of the star wars genre, are you saying i shouldn't watch it?

If you like most Star Wars movies, you will probably also like Rise of Skywalker.

if you like horrible plots (i admit this may subjective) and enjoy criminally negligent storytelling resulting in death (objective truth) then this is the movie for you.

That is true for most Star Wars movies.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: April 25, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
I’m on a bad run of Netflix movies. I Am Mother wasn’t all that good. These movies have interesting premises and some A List actors and high production budgets but they’re just kinda meh.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: May 01, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Mute (Netlfix). Not a great story. Sometimes kinda confusing. But Paul Rudd was terrific. And holy crap this movie is set in the same universe as Moon!! The 5 second cameo of Astronauts Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) in the courtroom on the news made Mute worth watching. And if you haven't watched Moon, watch Moon.

The Titan (Netflix). Decent. Worth watching even if it does get pretty goofy at the end.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore (Netlix). Pretty good. Worth watching.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: May 01, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
Mute (Netlfix). Not a great story. Sometimes kinda confusing. But Paul Rudd was terrific. And holy crap this movie is set in the same universe as Moon!! The 5 second cameo of Astronauts Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) in the courtroom on the news made Mute worth watching. And if you haven't watched Moon, watch Moon.

The Titan (Netflix). Decent. Worth watching even if it does get pretty goofy at the end.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore (Netlix). Pretty good. Worth watching.

are these movies worth watching or not?

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10410 on: May 01, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
 tfw no gf

On Amazon Prime along with the rest of all the SXSW film festival releases which is pretty cool.

An  interesting doc about 4chan/twitter incels. One of them comes across as very smart and somewhat likable, one is basically a real life version of the little miss sunshine brother that is really into Nietzsche. One of them is a racist sad Texan that kind of lumbers around drinking and seems like he could be saved and the other 3 seem completely irredeemable and awful.

It is pretty well done and I listened to a podcast about kantbot and he is a definite extremist weirdo AnCap, but also interesting and well read.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: May 02, 2020, 11:02:39 PM »
tfw no gf

On Amazon Prime along with the rest of all the SXSW film festival releases which is pretty cool.

An  interesting doc about 4chan/twitter incels. One of them comes across as very smart and somewhat likable, one is basically a real life version of the little miss sunshine brother that is really into Nietzsche. One of them is a racist sad Texan that kind of lumbers around drinking and seems like he could be saved and the other 3 seem completely irredeemable and awful.

It is pretty well done and I listened to a podcast about kantbot and he is a definite extremist weirdo AnCap, but also interesting and well read.

Thanks starting this now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: May 02, 2020, 11:05:04 PM »
Just finished Bad Education, it is awesome. The cast is great, and I love how the story is told. The movie is based on this article from New York Magazine
https://nymag.com/nymetro/urban/features/9908/

Haven't read the article yet, but the move was a very good dark comedy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: May 02, 2020, 11:14:43 PM »
tfw no gf

I watched it based on this rec. Found it underwhelming. YMMV.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: May 03, 2020, 12:45:02 AM »
tfw no gf

Had to look ymmv up. Yes, underwhelming is a great description. I went into it hoping it would guilt me into being nicer to incels when they act like jackaases online and I feel a little that way. I feel really bad for the Texas kid. Jonah Hill there in New York is insufferable. When they were discussing the dudes in Washington, I certainly they would get into why people are scared of incels with guns and the mass murders they have committed, but nope. If you weren't aware that incels were responsible for a healthy amount of mass murders including the shootings at Virginia Tech, Isla Vista, and the Toronto truck guy, you wouldn't have any idea what the big deal was.

Anyway because I like kat kid I'm going to give him a chance to make it up to me, so I'm going straight into American Factory.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: May 03, 2020, 01:05:14 AM »
tfw no gf

Had to look ymmv up. Yes, underwhelming is a great description. I went into it hoping it would guilt me into being nicer to incels when they act like jackaases online and I feel a little that way. I feel really bad for the Texas kid. Jonah Hill there in New York is insufferable. When they were discussing the dudes in Washington, I certainly they would get into why people are scared of incels with guns and the mass murders they have committed, but nope. If you weren't aware that incels were responsible for a healthy amount of mass murders including the shootings at Virginia Tech, Isla Vista, and the Toronto truck guy, you wouldn't have any idea what the big deal was.

Anyway because I like kat kid I'm going to give him a chance to make it up to me, so I'm going straight into American Factory.

That's a good one. You'll enjoy.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: May 03, 2020, 08:17:12 AM »
I found “tfw no gf” pretty informative about what some of these guys lives are actually like. I thought it was pretty interesting because all of the guys seemed very sincere when talking to the cameras while their entire persona online was about Irony and Shitposting.

I did listen to a podcast interview with kantbot, the NYC guy, so I may have conflated some of the things he said in the interview with the things he said on camera.

Sorry for the bad rec. American factory will redeem me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: May 03, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »
That's a great point about the differences in persona, however I think we all suspected their in person personas were vastly different than how they behave online, for me it's a large part of my frustration with incels and millennial online behavior in general. There's a new acceptance that you should be able to say things and behave in a manner in which you normally wouldn't, online life has a completely different set of morals and standards, and I couldn't disagree more.

American Factory, wow! So many layers to this doc, it really deserves its own thread. I don't think I've ever had such an insight to Chinese culture and that was the most compelling part of this documentary. I really despise the chairman of this company. I tried to give him a bit of slack with his behavior to cultural differences, but I couldn't. The guy is simply a money grubbing, stingy, dirtbag, he's an bad person in any culture.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: May 03, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »
I watched the no gf thing last night too. I don't think it was very well made, but it's very sad. It's all untreated mental illness and bad support structures. Watching people like this makes me very uncomfortable because I know how close I could have been to falling into that culture.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: May 04, 2020, 02:11:16 AM »
Watched the live-action Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast with my little sister. Aladdin sucked. I liked Beauty and the Beast. I've never seen the original though. Any other Disney live-action worth watching? Kind of excited about Mulan.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: May 04, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »
the jungle book was pretty good

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: May 10, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
I've put off 1917 for a while because I was afraid it would be disappointing but nope not one bit. So god damn tense and claustrophobic. The few over the top moments lead to hugely emotional moments. Crush on Sam Mendes continues. 7/7
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: May 10, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »
Watched the live-action Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast with my little sister. Aladdin sucked. I liked Beauty and the Beast. I've never seen the original though. Any other Disney live-action worth watching? Kind of excited about Mulan.

I enjoyed live action Lion King.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: May 10, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
Finally watched parasite and it was awesome. I've only seen two of the movies that were award candidates for 2019, this and The Irishman, and parasite was far more compelling than The Irishman. There was a pit in my stomach the entire second half of the movie and I still couldn't believe how things went down. My one complaint is the last 3-5 minutes were kind of botched.

Of the last 10 best picture winners I've seen
Green Book
Moonlight
12 Years A Slave
Argo
The King's Speech
I think it was better than all of them other than Argo or The King's Speech

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: May 14, 2020, 12:56:05 AM »
Ford v. Ferrari was entertaining. Christian Bale was very good.

Wow! A metric ton of raccoons!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.