Author Topic: Jussie Smollet  (Read 39608 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Jussie Smollet
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 03:58:19 PM »
Wait K-S-U contacted the reporter because of that story? lol

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
Wait K-S-U contacted the reporter because of that story? lol

That was a pretty big wtf moment for me, too.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »
Yeah, I’m weird like that. I find things like this oddly interesting. The part that got me was:

A little after 7 a.m. the day after the election, a 54-year-old woman stopped for coffee at a convenience store in a suburb of Wichita. And this is what happened, she says.

A large man, probably in his 50s, maybe 325 pounds, 6-foot-4, stood by a car on the edge of the sidewalk outside the store. She is small, about 5-foot-4, 125 pounds. As she walked by him, she said, “He grabbed me by my breast.”

She pushed back, and “he lost balance and fell down.”

“I was terrified,” she said.

Still, she couldn’t help looking down at him and asking. “What gave you the right to do that?”

She said he replied something like: “If a man like Donald Trump can do whatever he wants to women and still get elected president, it must be OK.” The man said a lot of women voted for Trump, and he said it was time for men to take their “rightful place in society.”

The woman said she met with police the next day and filed a police report.

So when I read this obviously bullshit, over the top, story I thought “huh, that over-the-top story is clearly bullshit - but sounds like it would be very easy for the police/media to prove or disprove.” So I called the reporter to see what investigation they did, and what further investigation they planned to do.

The reporter had much the same reaction as you. He kept asking me “what connection” I had to the story and he seemed really suspicious that I was just some random dude who actually read the article and was curious. Skeptical of that - not skeptical of the bullshit story. Because it fit the narrative.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:32:04 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2019, 05:04:43 PM »

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 07:01:35 PM »
I really don't expect anything different from the party of hoaxes and grievance
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
You're a big Hale_razor fan, huh fax?
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »
America loves a comeback story, his career is not over.

Considering the vast majority of Americans had no idea who this guy was before this incident, I don't see him ever shedding this scarlet letter. This is particularly disappointing because it simultaneously stokes racial animosity while making it harder for real victims to be believed. You really think he can survive this?

LOL.
Your first sentence is a real two America's perspective. To millions of Americans Smollet is just as recognizable as Will Arnett and Jason Sudekis (I literally had to look these dudes names up, recognize their faces, forgot their names).

Your second sentence should be put on a poster for white fragility. White people have been blaming black men for crimes they didn't commit literally every day since emancipation. We wanna take bets on how many of my people are locked up because some white person wanted to pin a crime on them that they didn't commit, how many lynched, executed by the government? When any of that happens do white people feel the need to blame them for stoking black distrust in the white power structure? GMAFB on "stoking racial animosity," anyone who uses this or any other false accusation didn't need this to fuel the animus. Black people are 12% of the population, it should be clear to all that we hold no keys in controlling what white people think about race relations.

I know you don't condone his actions, if indeed the allegations of a hoax are proven to be true. But thanks for reminding me we have an ugly history of prejudice in this country, and in too many cases unrelated to this instance, that pattern continues today. If you want to make this about that, then I'm outtie. If unrelated to this case, you want to point out other instances of black people being unfairly victimized by the justice system, then I'll gladly stand beside you and voice my strong disapproval. Have a great day.

What I want is for people to stop making this about anything but one dude and an elaborate lie. I don't want white people using these highly publicized hoaxes as a crutch for improved race relations.  The boy who cried wolf talking point is 100% unacceptable, I'll hear it from the dax's, ksuw's, and the 27's of this world, but well meaning liberals and moderates should be metaphorically smacked every time they do it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »

Considering the vast majority of Americans had no idea who this guy was before this incident, I don't see him ever shedding this scarlet letter. This is particularly disappointing because it simultaneously stokes racial animosity while making it harder for real victims to be believed. You really think he can survive this?

LOL.
Your first sentence is a real two America's perspective. To millions of Americans Smollet is just as recognizable as Will Arnett and Jason Sudekis (I literally had to look these dudes names up, recognize their faces, forgot their names).

Your second sentence should be put on a poster for white fragility. White people have been blaming black men for crimes they didn't commit literally every day since emancipation. We wanna take bets on how many of my people are locked up because some white person wanted to pin a crime on them that they didn't commit, how many lynched, executed by the government? When any of that happens do white people feel the need to blame them for stoking black distrust in the white power structure? GMAFB on "stoking racial animosity," anyone who uses this or any other false accusation didn't need this to fuel the animus. Black people are 12% of the population, it should be clear to all that we hold no keys in controlling what white people think about race relations.

I know you don't condone his actions, if indeed the allegations of a hoax are proven to be true. But thanks for reminding me we have an ugly history of prejudice in this country, and in too many cases unrelated to this instance, that pattern continues today. If you want to make this about that, then I'm outtie. If unrelated to this case, you want to point out other instances of black people being unfairly victimized by the justice system, then I'll gladly stand beside you and voice my strong disapproval. Have a great day.

What I want is for people to stop making this about anything but one dude and an elaborate lie. I don't want white people using these highly publicized hoaxes as a crutch for improved race relations.  The boy who cried wolf talking point is 100% unacceptable, I'll hear it from the dax's, ksuw's, and the 27's of this world, but well meaning liberals and moderates should be metaphorically smacked every time they do it.

This is exactly about one dude and a stupid lie (again, it's not 100% proven, but it's looking that way). I would prefer we simply keep it at that, and not make anyone else somehow culpable for one guy's idiocy. And I hope/expect people will call this dude out for taking advantage of raw emotions in this country that are based on very real grievances. His (apparent) actions are dumb and counterproductive to progress.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 10:30:46 PM »
Sorry friends its much more than one guy, the left can't be taken seriously because they are consistently and dishonestly propagandizing the masses on varied subjects everyday.  Some of you are rube propaganda consumers and some are sicko propaganda creators, and Spracne is just a solid human who wants to be impartially fair to all.  Groups have to self police if they desire credibility.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »
That's an amazing take, 27

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
my takes always are

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2019, 07:58:26 AM »
You should all stop pretending that much of the media isn’t at least partially complicit in these hoaxes.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
Ok, so in retrospect, who had the most unhinged reaction to the hoax? I’m going with Ellen Page, who jumped straight to blaming... Mike Pence.

[youtube]https://mobile.twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1091202682604478464[/youtube]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2019, 08:55:58 AM »
Mike pence would have tried to electrocute the gay out of jussie (still unclear to me if he's gay or the character or both)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
How far we've fallen from the Hillary indictment watch.  :frown:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
You should all stop pretending that much of the media isn’t at least partially complicit in these hoaxes.

They reported what the police told them  :dunno:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »
Yeah, I’m weird like that. I find things like this oddly interesting. The part that got me was:

A little after 7 a.m. the day after the election, a 54-year-old woman stopped for coffee at a convenience store in a suburb of Wichita. And this is what happened, she says.

A large man, probably in his 50s, maybe 325 pounds, 6-foot-4, stood by a car on the edge of the sidewalk outside the store. She is small, about 5-foot-4, 125 pounds. As she walked by him, she said, “He grabbed me by my breast.”

She pushed back, and “he lost balance and fell down.”

“I was terrified,” she said.

Still, she couldn’t help looking down at him and asking. “What gave you the right to do that?”

She said he replied something like: “If a man like Donald Trump can do whatever he wants to women and still get elected president, it must be OK.” The man said a lot of women voted for Trump, and he said it was time for men to take their “rightful place in society.”

The woman said she met with police the next day and filed a police report.

So when I read this obviously bullshit, over the top, story I thought “huh, that over-the-top story is clearly bullshit - but sounds like it would be very easy for the police/media to prove or disprove.” So I called the reporter to see what investigation they did, and what further investigation they planned to do.

The reporter had much the same reaction as you. He kept asking me “what connection” I had to the story and he seemed really suspicious that I was just some random dude who actually read the article and was curious. Skeptical of that - not skeptical of the bullshit story. Because it fit the narrative.

I am literally in love with dub now.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
"Jussie" is a really stupid name.

Really stupid.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »

LOL.

That's fair. 

But if we shouldn't give this episode any significance broader than the individual actors in this case, would that have been the case if Smollet was actually attacked by MAGA guys? 

In other words, let's say that two guys did attack Smollet and shout "this is MAGA country" and the events unfolded like Smollet actually reported.  Would you give credence to a trump supporter who said "wait a second, these highly publicized instances of violence shouldn't be given any significance beyond the individuals involved.  They aren't evidence of my intentions, the intentions of the president, or the intentions of those that support the president."

I could go either way on it, but I think we should probably be consistent.  Either we attach broader significance to these actions, or we limit the significance to the actors involved.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »

LOL.

That's fair. 

But if we shouldn't give this episode any significance broader than the individual actors in this case, would that have been the case if Smollet was actually attacked by MAGA guys? 

In other words, let's say that two guys did attack Smollet and shout "this is MAGA country" and the events unfolded like Smollet actually reported.  Would you give credence to a trump supporter who said "wait a second, these highly publicized instances of violence shouldn't be given any significance beyond the individuals involved.  They aren't evidence of my intentions, the intentions of the president, or the intentions of those that support the president."

I could go either way on it, but I think we should probably be consistent.  Either we attach broader significance to these actions, or we limit the significance to the actors involved.

I don't think it's ok to paint with a broad brush like that, but I think you can definitely point to the motivators or a lack thereof in each case. Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Trump and Fox News are absolutely tapping into something dark and evil. I don't see any liberals or democrats advocating for staging hate crimes.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »

LOL.

That's fair. 

I don't think it's ok to paint with a broad brush like that, but I think you can definitely point to the motivators or a lack thereof in each case. Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Trump and Fox News are absolutely tapping into something dark and evil. I don't see any liberals or democrats advocating for staging hate crimes.
OK, but even if what you're saying is true, why should this episode serve as evidence of some broader illness in one example, but not the other?  If it actually happened, the emphasis isn't limited to the individual actors, but rather, it's Fox, it's Trump, it's Alex, it's Rush, it's "The Right."  But if it's an elaborate hoax, it's Jussie Smollet.  Full stop. 

Is your explanation that you think The Right actually is stoking racial animosity and the left is not, and Jussie Smollet is some deviant outlier rather than the symptom of anything broader?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
That is a thread ender Dlew

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
That guy should get more than a false report charge if true imo. Do we have hate crime laws for non violent crimes? He should get that if so. I know the UK/EU has a lot of that stuff on the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
That guy should get more than a false report charge if true imo. Do we have hate crime laws for non violent crimes? He should get that if so. I know the UK/EU has a lot of that stuff on the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the American equivalent would be terroristic threats.