Author Topic: Jussie Smollet  (Read 39583 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Jussie Smollet
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 09:43:16 AM »
Why do Trump haters feel the need to keep concocting fake Trump-related hate crimes? Why do the media keep reporting allegations of fake hate crimes without corroboration?

Media is all over it being fake.  This dude is totally cooked

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
While it would be completely disgusting for anyone to make something like this up and unfairly upend the lives of everyone who owns a MAGA hat, the one positive thing is everyone would finally be forced to admit who the real racists are.

:love:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
Enough people have have been caught doing something like this that I really have to wonder about the mental capacity of someone who attempts something like this, on this scale. It's one thing to pay someone to do this, a complete other thing to do a media tour professing your innocence while the investigation is fresh.

If any of you have ever seen Empire, this seems like something straight from that show.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
yeah MAGA hatters claim they are afraid to wear the hats and that's fake AF.  Everyone needs a boogeyman

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 10:27:57 AM »
so not a hoax, but, weird

or def a hoax

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
Why do Trump haters feel the need to keep concocting fake Trump-related hate crimes? Why do the media keep reporting allegations of fake hate crimes without corroboration?

I hope so. Least they can do at this point. It sure would be nice if they wouldn’t run these stories in the first place without corroborating evidence. The irony is that the high profile nature of this hoax is why it was ultimately debunked. There was a rash of reported hate crimes in the days immediately following Trump’s election, most of which were likely bullshit but were never really investigated. They were reported as truth, but nothing ever came of them.

Here’s one local example: Area Women Report Hate Speech, Groping After Election

These allegations mostly happened at stores, but because police reports were never filed, no surveillance footage was obtained to prove or disprove the encounters. The media reported the allegations anyway. When I asked one of the reporters why, he said (not kidding) “well, what if it’s true and we didn’t report it?” :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:03:59 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
Trump and MAGA people are, kind of, the victim if you think about it
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:07:45 AM by bucket »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »
I don’t like Trump and MAGA people, so who gives a crap about the truth?

I disagree with your position.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 11:31:37 AM »
I don’t like Trump and MAGA people, so who gives a crap about the truth?

I disagree with your position.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
How embarrassing

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
Can they arrest him for wasting everybody’s rough ridin' time?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »

Probably because a little over a year ago a Trump supporter literally drove his car through protesters and even murdered one :dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
Good to see the resident LibDerps have the Deflecto Machine turned to 11, as usual.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
Can they arrest him for wasting everybody’s rough ridin' time?
They can charge him for filing a false police report. And I'm guessing his career is probably over. He will pay a hefty price, as he should.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
America loves a comeback story, his career is not over.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »

Considering the vast majority of Americans had no idea who this guy was before this incident, I don't see him ever shedding this scarlet letter. This is particularly disappointing because it simultaneously stokes racial animosity while making it harder for real victims to be believed. You really think he can survive this?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »
To goEMAW's credit, it seems that both POS pubs and LibDerp Nation questioned the veracity of this story from the beginning.  Well done everyone.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2019, 02:09:10 PM »

Considering the vast majority of Americans had no idea who this guy was before this incident, I don't see him ever shedding this scarlet letter. This is particularly disappointing because it simultaneously stokes racial animosity while making it harder for real victims to be believed. You really think he can survive this?

Yea I think he will work in something meaningful again
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »

I hope so. Least they can do at this point. It sure would be nice if they wouldn’t run these stories in the first place without corroborating evidence. The irony is that the high profile nature of this hoax is why it was ultimately debunked. There was a rash of reported hate crimes in the days immediately following Trump’s election, most of which were likely bullshit but were never really investigated. They were reported as truth, but nothing ever came of them.

These allegations mostly happened at stores, but because police reports were never filed, no surveillance footage was obtained to prove or disprove the encounters. The media reported the allegations anyway. When I asked one of the reporters why, he said (not kidding) “well, what if it’s true and we didn’t report it?” :facepalm:

so in your preferred version, no one would report until the investigation was complete? like a trial?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »

LOL.
Your first sentence is a real two America's perspective. To millions of Americans Smollet is just as recognizable as Will Arnett and Jason Sudekis (I literally had to look these dudes names up, recognize their faces, forgot their names).

Your second sentence should be put on a poster for white fragility. White people have been blaming black men for crimes they didn't commit literally every day since emancipation. We wanna take bets on how many of my people are locked up because some white person wanted to pin a crime on them that they didn't commit, how many lynched, executed by the government? When any of that happens do white people feel the need to blame them for stoking black distrust in the white power structure? GMAFB on "stoking racial animosity," anyone who uses this or any other false accusation didn't need this to fuel the animus. Black people are 12% of the population, it should be clear to all that we hold no keys in controlling what white people think about race relations.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
No one cares about the makeup on a percentile basis of the population except you

That doesn’t change the fact that the media and social media took up the mantle of a falsehood and propagated a lie in order to fortify a political agenda. 

Now once again they have to walk it back. Rinse and repeat.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 03:44:03 PM »

so in your preferred version, no one would report until the investigation was complete? like a trial?

It’s a fair question. I think a certain amount of due diligence should be performed before reporting alleged hate crimes at face value. Using the news article I cited above as an example, the reporters should have asked some basic questions like: Did you file a police report? Did you file a complaint with the store manager? Would you be willing to help us obtain surveillance video of what happened? They didn’t ask those questions or do any investigation whatsoever before publishing the allegations (I know because the reporter acknowledged as much when I asked him). One lady says she filed a police report, but the reporter acknowledged that they never reviewed the report and couldn’t even say where the report had been filed. The Wichita PD had no such report.

In the Smollett case, the dude filed a police report. The police were investigating. It was a high profile case involving a celebrity and sensational claims. So I’m not suggesting the media shouldn’t have published the allegations, but based upon what I saw they sure didn’t cover it with appropriate caution or skepticism. The reporting I saw rarely if ever used the word “alleged” and seemed to further sensationalize the claims.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:22 PM »

LOL.
Your first sentence is a real two America's perspective. To millions of Americans Smollet is just as recognizable as Will Arnett and Jason Sudekis (I literally had to look these dudes names up, recognize their faces, forgot their names).

Your second sentence should be put on a poster for white fragility. White people have been blaming black men for crimes they didn't commit literally every day since emancipation. We wanna take bets on how many of my people are locked up because some white person wanted to pin a crime on them that they didn't commit, how many lynched, executed by the government? When any of that happens do white people feel the need to blame them for stoking black distrust in the white power structure? GMAFB on "stoking racial animosity," anyone who uses this or any other false accusation didn't need this to fuel the animus. Black people are 12% of the population, it should be clear to all that we hold no keys in controlling what white people think about race relations.

I know you don't condone his actions, if indeed the allegations of a hoax are proven to be true. But thanks for reminding me we have an ugly history of prejudice in this country, and in too many cases unrelated to this instance, that pattern continues today. If you want to make this about that, then I'm outtie. If unrelated to this case, you want to point out other instances of black people being unfairly victimized by the justice system, then I'll gladly stand beside you and voice my strong disapproval. Have a great day.