Author Topic: Jussie Smollet  (Read 40218 times)

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Jussie Smollet
« Reply #475 on: March 11, 2022, 10:23:05 PM »
i looked up the girl with the B on her face...admitted she lied pretty fast and got 9 months probation...i would have give her a little time in the slam too, tbh

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 11, 2022, 10:35:21 PM »
Y'all are proving my point, don't rough ridin' put people in jail because they hurt feelings or because they don't kowtow to a judge. Rage, you're being way too harsh, almost seems personal. He lied, his crime is that he lied. We don't need to talk about how bad lying is, we all get that, the thing is that everyone lies, I think referring to him as indecent and abnormal because he lied isn't a standard that you have applied equally. Frankly, I think the dude, and others who do similar things, must have some kind of mental issue. I just don't understand what the end goal was to paying two massive dudes to beat your ass then claiming it was a hate crime. There wasn't going to be any arrests that come from this. It's Chicago, how do you not know that there are cameras everywhere? It was just such a ridiculous plan, I don't know how you don't question the sanity of someone who would plot such a thing.
I care next to nothing about this, but the "only a crazy person would commit this crime!" can be applied to a lot of crimes that most people agree should require time in the clink.

I have no problem with people going to jail for committing crimes against victims

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 11, 2022, 10:40:45 PM »
He had every opportunity to avoid jail.

If he showed any remorse or took any responsibility at all I bet he avoids jail.

He wouldn't have even been charged if he had acted like any decent, normal human being would have after the story broke.

Y'all are proving my point, don't rough ridin' put people in jail because they hurt feelings or because they don't kowtow to a judge. Rage, you're being way too harsh, almost seems personal. He lied, his crime is that he lied. We don't need to talk about how bad lying is, we all get that, the thing is that everyone lies, I think referring to him as indecent and abnormal because he lied isn't a standard that you have applied equally. Frankly, I think the dude, and others who do similar things, must have some kind of mental issue. I just don't understand what the end goal was to paying two massive dudes to beat your ass then claiming it was a hate crime. There wasn't going to be any arrests that come from this. It's Chicago, how do you not know that there are cameras everywhere? It was just such a ridiculous plan, I don't know how you don't question the sanity of someone who would plot such a thing.

I can understand your opinion but am curious as to what you think a fair punishment would be.  Restitution for the police hours wasted?

I disagree that he was the only victim.  He wasted resources that could've been used elsewhere so other people were victims, it's just hard to pinpoint who and to what extent.  I would prefer there was some mechanism to allow recompense to a crime victims fund or something similar over jail, but also think fining rich people demonstrates the criminal justice system as more punitive on the poor.

He already lost his career and that should be considered. Other restitution and community service would have been fine. The jail term literally serves no purpose other than the judge flexing his muscle. He isn't a threat to the community and his sentence doesn't serve as a deterrent to anything. Please GMAFB with the wasting resources thing. The Chicago PD is notoriously one of the worst in the country for open cases, and the general public was calling this thing a fraud less than 36 hours after it happened. There was no manhunt or anything. It was likely a couple of detectives interviewing Smollett, the people at the subway restaurant, and whatever tech who had to comb the surveillance footage.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 11, 2022, 10:44:43 PM »
i looked up the girl with the B on her face...admitted she lied pretty fast and got 9 months probation...i would have give her a little time in the slam too, tbh

Two Americas.

She admitted to lying after she was shown surveillance video and was presented that she failed the polygraph. That bitch tried to influence a presidential election and she didn't go to jail, nor should she have.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 12, 2022, 12:44:18 AM »

Two Americas.

She admitted to lying after she was shown surveillance video and was presented that she failed the polygraph. That bitch tried to influence a presidential election and she didn't go to jail, nor should she have.

what about that "Blacks Rule" guy? 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 12, 2022, 01:59:18 PM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 12, 2022, 02:15:44 PM »
It’s very apparent from this statement that he learned nothing and didn’t get enough time and ruined Mighty Ducks for me.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2022, 02:44:55 PM »

Two Americas.

Jussie wouldn't have even faced charges if he would have admitted to lying after being shown all of the evidence against him.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »
Dude’s doubling down…

https://twitter.com/tmz/status/1502570848229732352?s=21
Race very well could have played a role. The catch is it’s impossible to tell because as you said he has yet to show an ounce of remorse or acknowledge any culpability.

Going off what MIR said the conversation in this instance should be more about how we treat mental illness in our justice system rather than how we treat race.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2022, 03:29:50 PM »
It appears mental illness concerns only come into play with skin color these days. Why?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2022, 04:52:48 PM »
It appears mental illness concerns only come into play with skin color these days. Why?

They also come into play every time someone shoots up a school.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 12, 2022, 08:19:29 PM »
I think this dude belongs in a mental institution and not a jail.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 09, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »