Author Topic: Jussie Smollet  (Read 40330 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Jussie Smollet
« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2022, 12:06:46 AM »
This was a victimless crime, yes? I don’t remember. Is so, yes. Pretty extreme
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2022, 12:15:02 AM »
The judge was pretty peeved that Jussie lied on the stand for hours. I am a person who does not generally support jailtime for non-violent criminals. But, I understand why the judge did it. And then the ridiculous histrionics....

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2022, 12:19:39 AM »
He paid people to beat his own ass, it was a crime where the offender was the only victim. Chicago has an embarrassing arrest record for all of the gun crime happening there, they have one of the most crooked police forces in the country, but they gave this dude 5 months because he tried to embarrass the cops. Lori Lightfoot sucks, Chicago is a rough ridin' corrupt dumpster that we should give to Canada.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2022, 12:25:25 AM »
He paid people to beat his own ass, it was a crime where the offender was the only victim. Chicago has an embarrassing arrest record for all of the gun crime happening there, they have one of the most crooked police forces in the country, but they gave this dude 5 months because he tried to embarrass the cops. Lori Lightfoot sucks, Chicago is a rough ridin' corrupt dumpster that we should give to Canada.

I think it's mostly about the fact that he had a platform and used it to foment racial unrest in the most bitch-ass way possible. More importantly, he deeply embarrassed his connected friends who caped up for him. I don't think jail will "fix" his problems in any way, but I understand why, for the foregoing reasons. He won't have time to complete an appeal before those 150 days are up, either. There is nothing happy about any of this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2022, 12:41:03 AM »

I think it's mostly about the fact that he had a platform and used it to foment racial unrest in the most bitch-ass way possible. More importantly, he deeply embarrassed his connected friends who caped up for him. I don't think jail will "fix" his problems in any way, but I understand why, for the foregoing reasons. He won't have time to complete an appeal before those 150 days are up, either. There is nothing happy about any of this.

What he did was triple dumb, I'm just frustrated with how the criminal justice system uses jail. There is no good reason to put this man in jail. There's no threat of him doing this again. The only person truly embarrassed was himself. He lost his career. Locking someone up to send a message is always really rough ridin' dumb but it is particularly in this case, what are they attempting to deter? People will continue to make up crimes, 99% of which will never see the inside of a cell. People will continue to perjure themselves. It's not lost on me that it was a black man who got one of the longest sentences we've ever seen for making up a crime. Is what he did 5 months worse than what Amy Cooper did?

I feel the same way about the Varsity Blues scandal, throwing people in jail for trying to buy their kids way into college is bat crap crazy. What's crazier is the only actual criminal in the whole deal, Rick Singer, isn't going to get a single day in jail because he gave the FBI and the Federal District Court all they needed to bag some celebrities and get some publicity. They arrested some rich people, yay, that totally erases centuries of inequities inflicted on the poor in this country.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2022, 12:51:05 AM »
This guy is an absolute dumbass for certain, and cannot be a good person, but he’s going to spend 5 months in the iron bar motel for basically upsetting a lot of people.

I mean, I guess the joke’s on him but  if that’s the standard for jail time. Whoa, we should be executing a lot more people.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2022, 01:16:47 AM »
He had every opportunity to avoid jail.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2022, 01:18:48 AM »

What he did was triple dumb, I'm just frustrated with how the criminal justice system uses jail. There is no good reason to put this man in jail. There's no threat of him doing this again. The only person truly embarrassed was himself. He lost his career. Locking someone up to send a message is always really rough ridin' dumb but it is particularly in this case, what are they attempting to deter? People will continue to make up crimes, 99% of which will never see the inside of a cell. People will continue to perjure themselves. It's not lost on me that it was a black man who got one of the longest sentences we've ever seen for making up a crime. Is what he did 5 months worse than what Amy Cooper did?

I feel the same way about the Varsity Blues scandal, throwing people in jail for trying to buy their kids way into college is bat crap crazy. What's crazier is the only actual criminal in the whole deal, Rick Singer, isn't going to get a single day in jail because he gave the FBI and the Federal District Court all they needed to bag some celebrities and get some publicity. They arrested some rich people, yay, that totally erases centuries of inequities inflicted on the poor in this country.

I think we've talked about this in other threads (and possibly offline), but I mostly agree with you. The fewer people incarcerated, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Jussie is just acting like an bad person still, tho.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2022, 07:24:27 AM »
If he showed any remorse or took any responsibility at all I bet he avoids jail.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 11, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »
If he showed any remorse or took any responsibility at all I bet he avoids jail.

This. And then why would you aggravate a judge?  She just absolutely roasted him. I agree with most of the last several pages of this thread. He's not all there and shouldn't have gotten any jail time but he did this to himself.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 11, 2022, 08:55:44 AM »
I’m also pretty strongly against purely punitive jail time, although I do agree that the sentence in this case had more to do with aggravating the judge as opposed to the crime itself. IMO it would have been better to separately prosecute him for perjury, but that also seems like a needless drain of justice resources.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 11, 2022, 09:08:39 AM »
I think we can all agree he's a huge piece of crap and needs to get his dome checked.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 11, 2022, 09:09:01 AM »
He wouldn't have even been charged if he had acted like any decent, normal human being would have after the story broke.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2022, 10:39:13 AM »
this is a throwback but did ol girl who carved a backwards b into her cheek get any time in the slammer?

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 11, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »
i guess as far as the sentence, it's like they say a fair compromise is one where neither side is satisfied...u got (some) sjws saying #freejussie and then (most?) maga saying he should have gotten the same sentence as a person doing a real hate crime...

so it basically sounds alright to me...altho he's mostly being punished for being a bad liar / dumb ...

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 11, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
this is a throwback but did ol girl who carved a backwards b into her cheek get any time in the slammer?
This is almost certainly a unique case, because hardly anyone would be caught as red handed as Smollet and continue to lie to police and under oath about it.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 11, 2022, 01:41:30 PM »
This is almost certainly a unique case, because hardly anyone would be caught as red handed as Smollet and continue to lie to police and under oath about it.

honestly, if i got in deep enough i'd probably keep lying too

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 11, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »

He wouldn't have even been charged if he had acted like any decent, normal human being would have after the story broke.

Y'all are proving my point, don't rough ridin' put people in jail because they hurt feelings or because they don't kowtow to a judge. Rage, you're being way too harsh, almost seems personal. He lied, his crime is that he lied. We don't need to talk about how bad lying is, we all get that, the thing is that everyone lies, I think referring to him as indecent and abnormal because he lied isn't a standard that you have applied equally. Frankly, I think the dude, and others who do similar things, must have some kind of mental issue. I just don't understand what the end goal was to paying two massive dudes to beat your ass then claiming it was a hate crime. There wasn't going to be any arrests that come from this. It's Chicago, how do you not know that there are cameras everywhere? It was just such a ridiculous plan, I don't know how you don't question the sanity of someone who would plot such a thing.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 11, 2022, 03:22:42 PM »
He's clearly mentally ill and will be trying to go in the back shortly.  Maybe the jailers can prevent that, but I doubt it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 11, 2022, 03:35:45 PM »
Y'all are proving my point, don't rough ridin' put people in jail because they hurt feelings or because they don't kowtow to a judge. Rage, you're being way too harsh, almost seems personal. He lied, his crime is that he lied. We don't need to talk about how bad lying is, we all get that, the thing is that everyone lies, I think referring to him as indecent and abnormal because he lied isn't a standard that you have applied equally. Frankly, I think the dude, and others who do similar things, must have some kind of mental issue. I just don't understand what the end goal was to paying two massive dudes to beat your ass then claiming it was a hate crime. There wasn't going to be any arrests that come from this. It's Chicago, how do you not know that there are cameras everywhere? It was just such a ridiculous plan, I don't know how you don't question the sanity of someone who would plot such a thing.
I care next to nothing about this, but the "only a crazy person would commit this crime!" can be applied to a lot of crimes that most people agree should require time in the clink.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 11, 2022, 03:36:21 PM »
Mir, it's possible to believe that he shouldn't get jail time and also live in the real world and recognize that getting jail time is a result of his own choices.

If he just apologized and came clean when he was caught I doubt he faces any criminal penalties beyond maybe financial restitution. If he still got the same sentence after apologizing then I think you'd have a better argument about going to jail for hurting feelings.

I don't know how to reconcile his mental health status with making his situation worse with regard to sentencing, but I'm open to ideas. It's certainly an area the justice system needs to improve.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 11, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »

I can understand your opinion but am curious as to what you think a fair punishment would be.  Restitution for the police hours wasted?

I disagree that he was the only victim.  He wasted resources that could've been used elsewhere so other people were victims, it's just hard to pinpoint who and to what extent.  I would prefer there was some mechanism to allow recompense to a crime victims fund or something similar over jail, but also think fining rich people demonstrates the criminal justice system as more punitive on the poor.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 11, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »
If people actually believed what he is still claiming happened, the two people he is accusing of beating him up would be going to prison for much longer than he is. It's pretty messed up to want the two people he paid off to get convicted of hate crimes.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 11, 2022, 04:05:31 PM »
If people actually believed what he is still claiming happened, the two people he is accusing of beating him up would be going to prison for much longer than he is. It's pretty messed up to want the two people he paid off to get convicted of hate crimes.
It is a hate crime.. because I bet Jussie hated it

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Jussie Smollet
« Reply #474 on: March 11, 2022, 06:47:05 PM »

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of this, but I will point out that, AFAIK, insanity was never put on the table either by Smollet or his attorneys.

There is only so much a judge can do with the fact that you blatantly lie in a way that clearly hurts the justice system. I’m personally uncomfortable with a judge or jury offering lenience based on the brashness of a lie where the perpetrator and his attorneys never seek a finding of insanity themselves.

And for full disclosure, I am well aware of the now well documented cases of defendants pleading guilty to crimes they did not commit who were since proven innocent by DNA evidence. It’s a complicated issue for sure.

I still think jail time is unnecessary, but I can appreciate it provided a deterrent benefit without exacting too burdensome a toll on Smollet.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 06:50:23 PM by catastrophe »