Author Topic: KU Basketball is Hurting  (Read 163752 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KU Basketball is Hurting
« Reply #875 on: November 02, 2022, 09:09:25 PM »
He's an amazing bench coach, if it were for better games, it would matter.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 02, 2022, 09:34:29 PM »
KU brought back former assistant Joe Dooley in the offseason (he's somewhat famous/meme-worthy). This feels very planned out, which I suppose is a good thing, all things considered.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 02, 2022, 10:19:13 PM »
It's planned out for when Self gets his one year show cause. Dooley was a MID mid major coach, if that's the plan, good luck.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 02, 2022, 10:30:38 PM »
I see a multi year show cause.

None the less they still have a hobby sport Natty

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 02, 2022, 11:18:07 PM »
None of you can stop the good times from pouring down on me  :gocho:

Offline zackole1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 03, 2022, 07:19:04 PM »
This self imposed suspension is like spanking your serial killer son and saying "see... he's punished"

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 04, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
Removing scholarships is pretty much nothing with NIL deals.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 04, 2022, 11:11:43 AM »
it’s one less roster spot

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 04, 2022, 11:20:48 AM »
Can't you just disguise someone as a walk on and pay them to play? Knowing KU, they'll have a way around their own punishment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 04, 2022, 02:42:32 PM »
Also no one who is worth the annual 6 figures a scholarship is worth isn't going anywhere to take that in lieu of a scholarship. They want their scholarship, stipend, and nil money.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 04, 2022, 03:03:01 PM »
Yeah, and it's not like KU is going to make their best player go without a scholarship and take NIL instead. The walk on kid is going to mostly ride the bench. Not a lot of NIL money for people who don't play much.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 04, 2022, 03:59:35 PM »
Also no one who is worth the annual 6 figures a scholarship is worth isn't going anywhere to take that in lieu of a scholarship. They want their scholarship, stipend, and nil money.

How do you come up with a scholarship at KU or K-State being worth six figures annually?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 04, 2022, 10:29:56 PM »

How do you come up with a scholarship at KU or K-State being worth six figures annually?

From the donor annual report that was released just this week.

Full cost of an in state basketball player is $101,154 out of state is $117,674. That's tuition, books, room and board, fees, and perks that only scholarshipped athletes get.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 05, 2022, 12:41:53 AM »

Full cost of an in state basketball player is $101,154 out of state is $117,674. That's tuition, books, room and board, fees, and perks that only scholarshipped athletes get.

Can you link said report?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 05, 2022, 08:24:55 AM »
Those numbers seem very reasonable for a kid to go to school. I am planning to spend much more than that a year (PROVE ME WRONG MORON KIDS!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 05, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »

Nope, cause it's printed. How about a photo instead?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 05, 2022, 09:34:48 AM »
I think the original question was "annually?"  But, that pic does indicate the annual price as well.  However, out of state vs instate tuition is not a real cost difference, it's entirely fabricated and based on revenue pricing decisions and not on costs.  The in-state price is the closer to the real cost incurred by the University. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 05, 2022, 11:56:17 AM »
i don’t think you can really look at it that way.  total revenue target/total students.  saying one is overpriced is the same as saying the other is underpriced.  ultimately our undergrad enrollment percentage is low enough that it doesn’t matter, maybe that was your point that i missed. none of this is germane to the conversation tho, so i’ll go cats to purple.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 05, 2022, 12:17:57 PM »

The value of the scholarship looks to be less than $50,000 for an in-state student and less than $66,000 for an out-of-state student.

I'm embarrassed that K-State put that out. That's a list of athletic department costs divided by the number of student athletes, not the benefit to the student athlete. That's hilarious that saying providing a uniform for the game is somehow a benefit for the student athlete. Attributing coaching costs to the student athletes is nuts. Moreover, how can the coaching costs for Marquis Nowell and Emilee Ebert be the same?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 05, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
It's called "overhead," which is a concept I learned at Harvard Business School while obtaining my doctorate in business administration. Still, pretty silly they just opened up their books like that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 05, 2022, 12:46:25 PM »
Just saw oscar getting a haircut.  He looked very happy

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 05, 2022, 01:07:43 PM »

The value of the scholarship looks to be less than $50,000 for an in-state student and less than $66,000 for an out-of-state student.

I'm embarrassed that K-State put that out. That's a list of athletic department costs divided by the number of student athletes, not the benefit to the student athlete. That's hilarious that saying providing a uniform for the game is somehow a benefit for the student athlete. Attributing coaching costs to the student athletes is nuts. Moreover, how can the coaching costs for Marquis Nowell and Emilee Ebert be the same?

For the purpose of the spirit of my actual content a lot of those things need to be counted because walk-ons do not get a lot of those listed benefits. The NCAA regulates those additional benefits like tutoring, the training table, and aspects of the listed administrative support. This is done so schools, who can afford to do so, can have players walk on but provide them tens of thousands of dollars in benefits. That's the Nebraska rule when they would have like 50 walk-ons.

This was never a conversation about how much a scholarship is, we were discussing why a Kansas basketball recruit with offers wouldn't walk on there, or anywhere else. If all those things that come with a scholarship doesn't quite get to 6 figures, then you got me, I guess, but these schools are placing the value at 6 figures. Also worth noting that these dollar figures are almost certainly higher for Kansas basketball.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 05, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
I'm not trying to get you in a gotcha. I included the training table, tutoring, etc. in the value of the scholarship with my numbers.

This is the kind of stuff that athletic directors and athletic departments put out to try and make it seem like a scholarship gives so much value to student athletes. I think they do it to try to justify not paying student athletes outright and to try and convince fans/donors that they are already getting so much that they don't need anything more.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 05, 2022, 07:57:08 PM »
what does room, board, tuition, all that extra stuff cost in you opinion justwin? I'm asking because I have no idea and am trying to plan for it 9 and 12 years. tia.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 06, 2022, 12:09:01 AM »
I'm not trying to get you in a gotcha. I included the training table, tutoring, etc. in the value of the scholarship with my numbers.

This is the kind of stuff that athletic directors and athletic departments put out to try and make it seem like a scholarship gives so much value to student athletes. I think they do it to try to justify not paying student athletes outright and to try and convince fans/donors that they are already getting so much that they don't need anything more.
I don’t see the figure as misleading. They’re encouraging people to donate to KSU athletics.  It makes sense to include department expenses in that breakdown.