Author Topic: the other games thread  (Read 40910 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: the other games thread
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
Who has more final four appearances in that 14 year stretch? I bet you can count them on one hand and not use your thumb.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
The streak is statistically amazing, but I think it’s fair to say that KU wouldn’t have been able to accomplish it in any of the other major conferences. On the flip side, maybe only Duke would have been able to accomplish it here in the Big 12 if they switched with KU. So it’s a big deal, but needs a little perspective. You would think a team that won a major conference championship 14 years straight would have far more success in the NCAAs, but that’s not what’s happened. Instead, they have been consistently good enough to stay slightly ahead of the bumper cars that is the rest of this conference.

And looking at the remainder of K-State’s and Tech’s schedules, I still think it’s about even money for KU to snag a share of a 15th.

If KU had switched places with Kentucky 14 years ago, I bet KU could have had that streak in the SEC.  The SEC has not been as good as the Big 12 over that stretch.  Kentucky, and Calipari, are more one-and-done than KU.  Self is a better program builder than Calipari.  Calipari is a shepherd of top talent, until that talent is ready to move to the next level. Self attempts to bend them to his will, and the better of the program.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »
Ppl say the big 12 sucks because of this streak and I have always called bullshit on this. Last year we had 4 teams in the sweet 16 and 3 in the elite 8. Not trying to be Iowa State here, but it’s very apparent that over the years KU gets most 50/50 calls in this conference. They’re the only blue blood in the big 12, so it helped along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
We are the only P5 league that doesn’t have multiple teams with a national championship so I think an element of truth exists that relative to the other conferences we do suck.  When’s the last time a non KU team was a legitimate threat to win it all?  I suppose top to bottom we are very competitive but our elite is not on par with other conferences elite.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2019, 01:03:08 PM »

We are the only P5 league that doesn’t have multiple teams with a national championship so I think an element of truth exists that relative to the other conferences we do suck.  When’s the last time a non KU team was a legitimate threat to win it all?  I suppose top to bottom we are very competitive but our elite is not on par with other conferences elite.

Oklahoma was in the final four in 2016 :dunno:

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
That’s true, they got beat by 40 so it’s hard for me to count them as a threat to win a title but maybe that’s not fair.  I suppose we have had a handful of 2 seeds that were probably good enough to win it all. I think the 2003 tournament with Texas led by TJ Ford was the last time someone else got a 1 seed.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
So to be clear, I actually think it’s the overall parity and quality of the B12 that has contributed to the streak. The B12 consistently produces at least 4 or 5 good-not-great teams every single year, and KU is consistently just a bit better and more consistent than the others. They stay above the fray while the other teams hand each other losses. So the I think the streak is a bit of a fluke, but not in a way that should detract from KU’s accomplishment.

This year, KU simply isn’t better than Tech, or K-State while playing on the road. If the streak is going to end, this is the year.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
Who has more final four appearances in that 14 year stretch? I bet you can count them on one hand and not use your thumb.

I think KU has one one of the highest failure rates of reaching the FF as a one seed in the past several decades. Of course, they garner a lot of 1 seeds coming out of the B12 - which is itself a great accomplishment.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »

That’s true, they got beat by 40 so it’s hard for me to count them as a threat to win a title but maybe that’s not fair.  I suppose we have had a handful of 2 seeds that were probably good enough to win it all. I think the 2003 tournament with Texas led by TJ Ford was the last time someone else got a 1 seed.

I think a 2 seed making the final four should be considered a threat to win. But you do whatever fits your narrative

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »

I think KU has one one of the highest failure rates of reaching the FF as a one seed in the past several decades. Of course, they garner a lot of 1 seeds coming out of the B12 - which is itself a great accomplishment.

That could be.   Getting a 1 seed is really hard and KU has got one 8 times under self which is absurd. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
So I was kinda right - kinda wrong. I looked back at the NCAA tourney performance of 4 teams: Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina, over the past 14 years (the streak). I recorded each team’s seed, the round they made it to, and gave them a score based upon whether they played below, to, or above seed. So if you’re a 1 seed and reach the FF, you played to seed and get a 0. If you’re a 1 seed and win the championship that’s 2 games above seed so you get a 2. If you’re a 2 seed and you lose in the round of 64, that’s 3 games below seed for a -3.

Here’s the results:

Kentucky has the lowest average seed of 4.5833, but also averaged an impressive .5833 against the seed.

North Carolina has an average seed of 2.4615, and averaged .1538 against the seed.

Kansas has the highest average seed of 1.7143, but averaged -0.7857 against the seed.

Duke has an average seed of 2.1429, but averaged -0.9286 against the seed.

So Duke actually underperforms a bit more than KU in the tourney despite starting with about the same seed. Kentucky generally starts with a much worse seed but far outperforms it, whereas North Carolina has the most consistent record in terms of high average seed while slightly outperforming it.

#LazySundays #Math

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2019, 03:26:20 PM »
The one thing that helped KU quite a bit for the first half of the streak was the unbalanced schedule.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
Agreed

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
The one thing that helped KU quite a bit for the first half of the streak was the unbalanced schedule.

Yep, in one of those years they lost to Texas, but shared the title with them.  The "shared" title has been a big help too.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2019, 03:48:26 PM »

Yep, in one of those years they lost to Texas, but shared the title with them.  The "shared" title has been a big help too.

definitely some Big 12 tourney #2 seed championships sprinkled in there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2019, 11:45:32 AM »

2018 Texas Tech

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
TCU WVU :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: bout to run up on OT 3, this game is the worst officiated big 12 game this year

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:11 PM »
TCU WVU :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: bout to run up on OT 3, this game is the worst officiated big 12 game this year

Watching now, so far both teams look terrible.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:42 PM »
Well it's probably over now
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2019, 10:52:32 PM »
Maybe a second 3 OT game! I started watching 35 minutes ago with 2 minutes left in OT1. This is terrible.
:adios:

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
the other games thread
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »
Oh, maybe IU won it? 0.7 seconds, I assume Wisconsin will somehow make a 2 to send it to 3OT
:adios:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2019, 02:01:44 AM »

Have you not watched WVU at all this season? This was one of our BEST games. *sigh* TCU still the only B12 team never to win at the Coliseum!

Also...

Jamie Dixon can eat crap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »

Have you not watched WVU at all this season? This was one of our BEST games. *sigh* TCU still the only B12 team never to win at the Coliseum!

Also...

You guys still hate him, huh?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
I didn't even consider the pitt-wvu rivalry, that makes sense, I just assumed it's because he didn't shake Huggins hand last night after the game.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »

Also...

You guys still hate him, huh?
Yep!