Author Topic: Coaching Search 2018  (Read 35292 times)

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Search 2018
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »
I'm setting the over/under on Mike Leach winning P5 conference championships at 1, who is putting their hard earned money on the over? Bill would absolutely win 8 a year in the Pac 12.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »
Definitely below

If it's not Leach, LittreLL, or venables then it's time to burn it down.
Not sure what makes LittreLL better than Applewhite.

Applewhite has had personal issues and he has some of that Tom Herman (off the field) stink on him.

I want no part of Applewhite because he always seems on the verge of scandal. We're not UT we can't weather that type out storm.

fair, for the most part. I'd forgotten about his creepy texting, don't know what "seems on the verge of scandal" means. But the creepy stuff isn't the best.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2018, 11:39:34 PM »
Definitely below

Applewhite has had personal issues and he has some of that Tom Herman (off the field) stink on him.

I want no part of Applewhite because he always seems on the verge of scandal. We're not UT we can't weather that type out storm.

fair, for the most part. I'd forgotten about his creepy texting, don't know what "seems on the verge of scandal" means. But the creepy stuff isn't the best.

Maybe not verge of scandal but there seems to be something constantly around him. He gets busted having an affair with a student four years after the fact. Then when he's fortunate enough to get a head coaching job, pretty quickly after the scandal, he hires Kendall Briles. He doesn't seem worth the trouble if you have options.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2018, 12:03:55 AM »
 So my favorite rumor of the day, and I emphasize that this is just a rumor, is that LHC Bill Snyder met with his oncologist today and his preferred replacement not named Sean Snyder.  Apparently Bill’s second choice (behind Sean) has been asked and said no, so Bill applied personal and direct pressure.

Also a part of that rumor is, he met with his Dr. to get a clean bill of health because he hasn’t completely made up his mind if he’s leaving or not.  :facepalm:
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
Definitely below

Maybe not verge of scandal but there seems to be something constantly around him. He gets busted having an affair with a student four years after the fact. Then when he's fortunate enough to get a head coaching job, pretty quickly after the scandal, he hires Kendall Briles. He doesn't seem worth the trouble if you have options.
The Kendall Briles thing is also a minus, you're right.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
So my favorite rumor of the day, and I emphasize that this is just a rumor, is that LHC Bill Snyder met with his oncologist today and his preferred replacement not named Sean Snyder.  Apparently Bill’s second choice (behind Sean) has been asked and said no, so Bill applied personal and direct pressure.

Also a part of that rumor is, he met with his Dr. to get a clean bill of health because he hasn’t completely made up his mind if he’s leaving or not.  :facepalm:

hmmm.  He has it pretty good where he's at.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:44:12 AM by slackcat »

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2018, 07:00:17 AM »
So my favorite rumor of the day, and I emphasize that this is just a rumor, is that LHC LHC Bill Snyder met with his oncologist today and his preferred replacement not named Sean Snyder.  Apparently Bill’s second choice (behind Sean) has been asked and said no, so Bill applied personal and direct pressure.

hmmm.  He has it pretty good where he's at.

I have always assumed that Bill’s preference after Sean was Leavitt.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2018, 07:07:19 AM »
One would think.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
Seniors look out for each other. Of course his preference is someone who is at minimum 60 years old.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
any love for the Troy guy......Neal Brown? beat OU i think.........nevermind, I'll stop typing.....
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
Definitely below

i don't think hiring kendall is a minus. seems like a good guy, good wife, kids, etc. also kendall had to get out of the mess that was lane kiffin. win/win for both.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
Definitely below

i don't think hiring kendall is a minus. seems like a good guy, good wife, kids, etc. also kendall had to get out of the mess that was lane kiffin. win/win for both.

eh when you're kinda scandally it's probably not a good idea to hire a scandally OC. I'm sure there's plenty of qualified coach's sons who aren't scandally out there.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
I thought we here at gE embraced the MCMW philosophy? Does that not extend to coaches? I mean obviously no one wants anyone from Baylor, but Major "The Little" Applewhite?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
I don’t think MCMW applies to the coaches themselves but maybe I’m wrong.  Also after further investigation major appears to be mediocre at best as a head coach.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
Definitely below

eh when you're kinda scandally it's probably not a good idea to hire a scandally OC. I'm sure there's plenty of qualified coach's sons who aren't scandally out there.

kendall is pretty clean in all of it though. also, all things point to him being a very, very good OC. I would have hired him in a second if i were applewhite. houstons offense is roughly a billion times better with him and faus is around a billion times worse without him. probably not just coincidences.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2018, 12:18:06 PM »
31 players committed at least 52 rapes and people are wondering if Kendal knew what was going down?  eff him, he shouldn't be around students at any level.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
I think Kendall deserves a shot independent of his dad but he was complicit in what happened at Baylor. 

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
Definitely below

kendall is pretty clean in all of it though. also, all things point to him being a very, very good OC. I would have hired him in a second if i were applewhite. houstons offense is roughly a billion times better with him and faus is around a billion times worse without him. probably not just coincidences.

Kendall was clean from the perspective of he wasn't a decision maker, but you'd have to be very forgiving to believe that the son of the head coach had zero input, knowledge, or ability to influence change. Every coach on the staff accepted Baylor's culture of women as objects and rape as a mean to an end. Even if you want to believe Kendall had no responsibility in the moment, his behavior at Baylor the year after his dad was let go was self-serving and irresponsible to the community, at best.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »
31 players committed at least 52 rapes and people are wondering if Kendal knew what was going down?  eff him, he shouldn't be around students at any level.

This hits to the root of the issue with football culture in general and with Major and Kendall specifically. If I were an alum or student at Houston I really have to wonder how the young men, going into that program, are being mentored at how to treat women. Neither Applewhite nor Briles or Ken Starr or Ian McCaw for that matter never had to publicly fall on a sword to get second chances, Kendall spent a year publicly victimizing himself and his dad. How does anyone know that he's learned anything?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
It’s a pretty tough spot to call out a super popular head coach who also happens to be your dad, but yeah I agree we only really have one data point on the piece of crap scale and it doesn’t look good for him.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »
That said, would anyone complain if he came on staff and whooped ass without any more off field issues?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I personally would hate to be judged for the rest of my professional life based on what my parents did or did not do at their work.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
The criticism relates more to him being a member of the staff than being a coach’s son. Does being his son make him more likely to know about all the allegations? Maybe, but I sure doubt Art was talking about them at Thanksgiving or anything like that.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I personally would hate to be judged for the rest of my professional life based on what my parents did or did not do at their work.

He was on the staff for eight years

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2018, 03:07:28 PM »

He was on the staff for eight years

I don't know about you guys but I personally would hate to be judged for the rest of my professional life based on what my boss did or did not do at their work.