Author Topic: Pharmaceutical Companies being giant POS  (Read 7331 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Pharmaceutical Companies being giant POS
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2024, 04:16:20 PM »
The cost of some of these drugs is insane. This doesn’t even include several of my infusions. Each infusion I have(every 6 weeks forever) is $40k

Had my infusion today and got a new bill. $416k

Based on what my March infusion cost the one today was about $47k
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2024, 04:22:35 PM »
wtf? Unless things change (unlikely any time soon), you're going to be working until you die :(

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2024, 05:44:43 PM »
wtf? Unless things change (unlikely any time soon), you're going to be working until you die :(
And for a company large enough to absorb those kinds of insurance claims without causing premiums to shoot up. What a mumped up system we have.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 05:49:04 PM by OB_Won »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2024, 07:44:17 PM »
And for a company large enough to absorb those kinds of insurance claims without causing premiums to shoot up. What a mumped up system we have.

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't considered how mumped up our system is for the leading global superpower western democracy. Hmmm

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2024, 09:02:40 PM »
Certainly the thing will go generic right?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2024, 09:14:58 PM »
After 20 years or whatever. But there are so many big problems with our medical system that can be fixed by legislation that seems like a pretty poor consolidation.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2024, 09:20:30 PM »
Nah, they just get extensions on their patents.

Between my daughter’s medication and mine, we typically meet our $6000 deductible by mid-March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2024, 09:33:09 PM »
It's crap like this that makes me a single issue voter for single payer and reigning in pharma like none other TBT. What insanity.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2024, 11:10:18 PM »

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't considered how mumped up our system is for the leading global superpower western democracy. Hmmm
The company I work at is going through this right now. We had a few very large claims last year, but we only have ~100 employees. Our broker for BCBS of TX quoted us a premium increase of 35% in response. That’s on a $6K deductible PPO. WTaF!?!  It is forcing our CEO/CFO/HR to consider the age of who they hire next, and the health history of who they keep. We are strongly in the black so I dont expect much to change. However, if we were struggling, or ran by a PE firm, I’m not sure I’d expect to see equitable treatment. Working in an “at will” state they can let you go for pretty much anything as long as they cover their butt and dont say/do anything stupid.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2024, 11:16:27 PM »
After 20 years or whatever. But there are so many big problems with our medical system that can be fixed by legislation that seems like a pretty poor consolidation.
The drug was first approved in 1998(although it’s still not approved for my condition, only 2 medications are and the second was only approved this past Halloween) and I do get the generic version of it.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2024, 11:30:04 PM »

The company I work at is going through this right now. We had a few very large claims last year, but we only have ~100 employees. Our broker for BCBS of TX quoted us a premium increase of 35% in response. That’s on a $6K deductible PPO. WTaF!?!  It is forcing our CEO/CFO/HR to consider the age of who they hire next, and the health history of who they keep. We are strongly in the black so I dont expect much to change. However, if we were struggling, or ran by a PE firm, I’m not sure I’d expect to see equitable treatment. Working in an “at will” state they can let you go for pretty much anything as long as they cover their butt and dont say/do anything stupid.

We need to nationalize this crap already. What good is "innovation" if normal people can't afford it? I agree with the gov't rewarding true breakthroughs, but in my experience it's like "4 percent less chance of relapse versus this other thing. Here it is for more than the average American salary."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2024, 09:05:56 AM »
The drug was first approved in 1998(although it’s still not approved for my condition, only 2 medications are and the second was only approved this past Halloween) and I do get the generic version of it.
Are you saying that your cost is for the generic version? Cause if so that doesn’t really seem like a pharmaceutical POS thing. It must be incredibly hard to make if a bunch of competitors aren’t willing to make a version for even half as much.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »
I think on average generics are 80% cheaper than non generic so this shot thing in non generic form must be a real face melter.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best