Author Topic: That guy that was Trump’s campaign manager for two months  (Read 13653 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: That guy that was Trump’s campaign manager for two months
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2019, 07:21:10 PM »
I don't doubt that Trump and co. had lots of Russian contacts, but I still don't know what they actually got from the Russians that was some incredibly devious psyop that tricked the American people en masse in to electing Trump.

you should look into it more.

you're also conflating the idea of conspiring with a foreign power with winning the election.  whatever trump did or didn't get in exchange is not really the point.

I think I have a pretty good handle on it.

I am not conflating it, the entire story is a Thanksgiving plate where the mashed potatoes of Trump are touching the green bean casserole of Putin and the gravy is that Hillary would've won if we could just prove this case with the help of Mueller and the FBI! That is the story for the vast majority of the people following it. The idea that Trump will be found guilty of treason is, to me, a complete fantasy.

Look no further than the twitter feed of former emaw chunkles to see that most democrats now have an entire Q-Anon level conspiracy that they've spun themselves in to and decide if it may be better to just wait and see what comes then to declare that we know what happened. They think he is getting perp walked out of the White House! So, my skepticism is within this context.

I absolutely think Trump is a crook and I absolutely think he/his campaign colluded with Russia in a completely stupid and incompetent manner.

Never realized KK was a Trumpalo. How embarrassing.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »
I guess I don't really disagree with much of what you said there sys. But I do find it incredible that you still think that this country has any sort of functioning institutions or that powerful people are ever held to account. I also think Trump is a pretty weak case compared to the litany of monsters that have patrolled the same halls of our republic.

I mean does anyone even remember the Iraq war any more? Does anyone think this is worse than Iran-Contra? The entire Republican Party still holds up Reagan as a god. Why is anyone even questioning what is going to happen here?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
Remember when Obama was not actually going to prosecute anyone for torturing people, but was just going to assist in the release of a report by the Senate in to torture that would at least preserve the truth of what happened and let history condemn those responsible?

Then remember how Brennan (in between drone strikes) stonewalled the investigation, spied on the Senate to find out what they were doing, lied about that, then admitted it, then nothing really happened and now Brennan gets mad at Trump on twitter and gets soft lighting features in all the news magazines.

How can anyone look at this and think that this is all about Trump breaking our precious democracy?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
I'd say a fairly significant difference between Trump and others are the interests of whom they believe they're acting on behalf.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
I'd say a fairly significant difference between Trump and others are the interests of whom they believe they're acting on behalf.

I don't think Trump is acting in the best interests of Americans anyway?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »

I don't think Trump is acting in the best interests of Americans anyway?

He mostly acts on behalf of own interests, which mostly align with Russia's, and happen to be mostly against America's. e.g. NATO. To me, that seems like a MAJOR issue for a U.S. president. And not very run-of the-mill in any way.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:57 PM »
i agree with chum1 on his last point.  and i have a higher opinion and higher expectations of our country's institutions and past govt officials than katkid and dax have.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
i agree with chum1 on his last point.  and i have a higher opinion and higher expectations of our country's institutions and past govt officials than katkid and dax have.

Where would you rank Trump among the last 5 presidents?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2019, 08:27:10 PM »
I think he is the worst president we have had since there has been universal suffrage.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
I always hated Andrew Jackson most for his cruelty and evil. Trump may be too stupid and oblivious to hate more. It totally triggers me that Trump has Jackson's portrait up in the Oval Office. (At Bannon's recommendation. Trump, of course, knows nothing of anything about history.)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
I always hated Andrew Jackson most for his cruelty and evil. Trump may be too stupid and oblivious to hate more. It totally triggers me that Trump has Jackson's portrait up in the Oval Office. (At Bannon's recommendation. Trump, of course, knows nothing of anything about history.)

So, second only to Ol' Hickory in terms of evil acts?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
Where would you rank Trump among the last 5 presidents?

i consider it indisputable that gwb made decisions with greater negative consequences (so far), but trump is by far the worst of the five.  intentions don't always match results.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:09 PM »
My theory is a lot simpler. Trump is a greedy idiot who surrounds himself with greedy idiots and Putin/Russia exploited that to raise Russia’s status on the world stage while simultaneously lowering America’s.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
Trump is a modern day Harding. Some of the parallels are uncanny.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »

In terms of loving the crap out of being cruel and evil.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Look no further than the twitter feed of former emaw chunkles

Can I have this

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2019, 09:09:27 PM »

IMO I don't think Trump has the ability to do anything truly heinous. Checks and balances seem to be working in the face of his extreme rhetoric and anti-democratic proclivities.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »
the check of him being lazy and the balance of him being incompetent seem to be doing more work than checks and balances supposedly built into our government structures.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
the check of him being lazy and the balance of him being incompetent seem to be doing more work than checks and balances supposedly built into our government structures.

this

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »
yeah, if trump wasn't taking 7 hours of "executive time" every day, he'd be a truly terrifying president.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »

IMO I don't think Trump has the ability to do anything truly heinous. Checks and balances seem to be working in the face of his extreme rhetoric and anti-democratic proclivities.

I guess if you don't believe putting kids in a separate jail from their parents, deporting the parents without the kids, and having no plan or idea how to reunite the kids with the parents is evil, then he probably can't do anything evil.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »

I guess if you don't believe putting kids in a separate jail from their parents, deporting the parents without the kids, and having no plan or idea how to reunite the kids with the parents is evil, then he probably can't do anything evil.

Yeah, that's the one thing that came to mind. But the Flores Settlement Agreement complicates that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »
Yeah, that's the one thing that came to mind. But the Flores Settlement Agreement complicates that.

no, no it does not at all.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2019, 10:33:53 PM »

no, no it does not at all.

The administration deserves blame here, don't get me wrong. But the FSA mandates that minors must be treated differently than adults. The administration is trying to terminate the FSA by finally promulgating regulations that implement the substantive provisions of the consent decree (which dates back to 1997), but those regulations have not yet taken effect. The public comment period closed on Nov. 6, so they may be imminent. The issue with the family separation thing seems to be about improperly classifying kids as UACs, thus fast-tracking them for release while keeping their adult relatives detained. When this crap started to go down last summer, DHS was petitioning federal courts for temporary relief from the FSA so that they could implement the family unification policy that the people desired.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
they shut down a monitored release program that had like 99% of asylum applicants showing up in court.