TITLETOWN - A Decade Long Celebration Of The Greatest Achievement In College Athletics History > Other Sports (Tiger's Back)

Having trouble with your golf game?

<< < (42/46) > >>

ben ji:

--- Quote from: Stupid Fitz on April 15, 2024, 09:50:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: BIG APPLE CAT on April 15, 2024, 09:11:33 AM ---It's a fine line... Definitely easy to get information overload to a point where you're just twisting yourself in knots. I admire how bubba Watson has purportedly never taken a formal lesson, but he's also an exceptional talent. If you don't fully understand the mechanics it can be very valuable to have someone who does say "hey quit moving your head around so much" or w/e and like bam game changer that just fixed a bunch of your issues

--- End quote ---

Golf is very weird. Its really the only sport I've tried where I really really struggled. I'm def shitty at other sports, but I could always at least be average. When I first just started going out there, I obviously sucked ass, but started getting a bit better on my own just by playing. Then I took some lessons and learned some things and got a bit better. Then, out of rough ridin' nowhere, I couldn't even hit the ball 30 feet. Just over and over I would be slicing, chunking, etc. It just happened and it lasted for like a month or more. That is the hardest part mentally for me. I feel like I'm doing the same thing I did before, but the results are crap and I have no idea why. As I said above, I hope i'm a bit past that as I've kind of figured out that if the ball does this, I probably did that and can adjust a bit. Learning to play golf past 40 is not recommended. I'm making my kids play so they at least learn the basics early.

--- End quote ---
I wish I would of learned to play as a kid but my dad never played so I ended up taking a 1 credit hr golf class at ole ksu and had a buddy who worked at Colbert hills who would let us play the par 3 for free. That class was the only instruction I've ever had and my grip is pretty messed up now from figuring out what works for me. Ended up shooting an 88 at Hodge Park in Nkc last weekend so I'm happy with that.

About 4 years ago I went through a stretch like you were talking about where I just couldn't hit a ball, literally went home after losing 10+ balls on 7 holes on a 9 hole round after work.

Stopped playing for about a month and I was back to normal.

Stupid Fitz:

--- Quote from: ben ji on April 15, 2024, 07:05:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: Stupid Fitz on April 15, 2024, 09:50:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: BIG APPLE CAT on April 15, 2024, 09:11:33 AM ---It's a fine line... Definitely easy to get information overload to a point where you're just twisting yourself in knots. I admire how bubba Watson has purportedly never taken a formal lesson, but he's also an exceptional talent. If you don't fully understand the mechanics it can be very valuable to have someone who does say "hey quit moving your head around so much" or w/e and like bam game changer that just fixed a bunch of your issues

--- End quote ---

Golf is very weird. Its really the only sport I've tried where I really really struggled. I'm def shitty at other sports, but I could always at least be average. When I first just started going out there, I obviously sucked ass, but started getting a bit better on my own just by playing. Then I took some lessons and learned some things and got a bit better. Then, out of rough ridin' nowhere, I couldn't even hit the ball 30 feet. Just over and over I would be slicing, chunking, etc. It just happened and it lasted for like a month or more. That is the hardest part mentally for me. I feel like I'm doing the same thing I did before, but the results are crap and I have no idea why. As I said above, I hope i'm a bit past that as I've kind of figured out that if the ball does this, I probably did that and can adjust a bit. Learning to play golf past 40 is not recommended. I'm making my kids play so they at least learn the basics early.

--- End quote ---
I wish I would of learned to play as a kid but my dad never played so I ended up taking a 1 credit hr golf class at ole ksu and had a buddy who worked at Colbert hills who would let us play the par 3 for free. That class was the only instruction I've ever had and my grip is pretty messed up now from figuring out what works for me. Ended up shooting an 88 at Hodge Park in Nkc last weekend so I'm happy with that.

About 4 years ago I went through a stretch like you were talking about where I just couldn't hit a ball, literally went home after losing 10+ balls on 7 holes on a 9 hole round after work.

Stopped playing for about a month and I was back to normal.

--- End quote ---

This was the advice everyone gave me during that time, but I continued to go to the range several times a week thinking I could figure it out. I bought an 8 lesson package this year really just to spread them out over the playing season so if something goes bad, I can meet and hopefully reset. When it goes bad, i've learned that I either need to break or get in front of someone that knows what they are doing and can help.

IPA4Me:
Best thing ever for my golf game was working with a pro that had one of these. Let's you feel a real swing plane/arc.

When crap goes awry, it's always my setup these days.

DaBigTrain:

--- Quote from: IPA4Me on April 20, 2024, 02:11:25 PM ---Best thing ever for my golf game was working with a pro that had one of these. Let's you feel a real swing plane/arc.

--- End quote ---
Jim Furyk would like a word

IPA4Me:

--- Quote from: DaBigTrain on April 20, 2024, 02:14:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: IPA4Me on April 20, 2024, 02:11:25 PM ---Best thing ever for my golf game was working with a pro that had one of these. Let's you feel a real swing plane/arc.

--- End quote ---
Jim Furyk would like a word

--- End quote ---
He's a freak

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version