Author Topic: KU Added To FBI Addidas Probe  (Read 38201 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: KU Added To FBI Addidas Probe
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2018, 04:45:20 PM »
Kinda hard to understand due to poor writing, but yes. I'm sure it's both. And there are Excel workbooks out there that crunch the numbers and prove the profit zone. I'd bet mocat's life on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You think there are a significant number of people who want to buy basketball shoes that buy adidas instead of nike because ku wears adidas?  Like enough to justify whatever adidas legally pays ku as well as all of these unofficial payments?

Who has played at ku and gone pro and signed w/adidas because of their ku experience and has gone on to be someone that influences people's shoe-buying choices?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 04:48:46 PM »
Kinda hard to understand due to poor writing, but yes. I'm sure it's both. And there are Excel workbooks out there that crunch the numbers and prove the profit zone. I'd bet mocat's life on it.

You think there are a significant number of people who want to buy basketball shoes that buy adidas instead of nike because ku wears adidas?  Like enough to justify whatever adidas legally pays ku as well as all of these unofficial payments?

Who has played at ku and gone pro and signed w/adidas because of their ku experience and has gone on to be someone that influences people's shoe-buying choices?
I don't keep tabs on such things, as I believe we should treat college sports as the semi-professional orgs they are. But reading between the lines, are you implying some sort of money laundering scheme between schools-->apparel cos.-->athletes?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
After 20 seconds, I do see it seems Adidas signed Embiid.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 04:51:22 PM »
And Wiggins. Check out Embiid's quote: https://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/16/joel-embiid-marcus-smart-sign-adidas-endorsement-rookies

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
I don't keep tabs on such things, as I believe we should treat college sports as the semi-professional orgs they are. But reading between the lines, are you implying some sort of money laundering scheme between schools-->apparel cos.-->athletes?

No.  I'm trying to figure out what motivates non-nike companies, and I suppose nike also to an extent, to invest so much in kids if the endgame is for the kids to pick (not guaranteed) the company when they can get a legal endorsement deal.  I suppose the answer could be that given how much a true superstar (Lebron, Jordan, Kobe) etc. could produce for a company, that spending money on all these kids is like buying lottery tickets.

I thought of Wiggins as being someone who'd have followed adidas' ku path to endorsement, and it looks like that isn't delivering the ROI.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/18/16167498/andrew-wiggins-signature-shoe-adidas-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
And Wiggins. Check out Embiid's quote: https://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/16/joel-embiid-marcus-smart-sign-adidas-endorsement-rookies

Sorry, referenced a different Wiggins thing before I saw this post.  But speaking to my skepticism of investing in college/pre-college kids for the prospect of getting them when they go pro, didn't Smart wear nike through his college career?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »

Sorry, referenced a different Wiggins thing before I saw this post.  But speaking to my skepticism of investing in college/pre-college kids for the prospect of getting them when they go pro, didn't Smart wear nike through his college career?
Yes, but it's by no means a "slam dunk" for these investors. $90K isn't that much money. This is a land grab for the big dogs. These players are potential properties. At 90K, you can afford to whiff on dozens of players. It's simple speculation, in my view.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »
Yes, but it's by no means a "slam dunk" for these investors. $90K isn't that much money. This is a land grab for the big dogs. These players are potential properties. At 90K, you can afford to whiff on dozens of players. It's simple speculation, in my view.

Yeah, that's the lottery ticket theory.  But I'd almost think there'd be more value in buying $90K of actual lottery tickets than giving it to some of these kids who clearly will never sell a thing.  I had to look up now whether de sousa was even on ku or if he was just someone they were recruiting.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »
So, what's your theory, if not simple biz economics?

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
Adidas probably recoups most, if not all of that 90k before the kid ever leaves college. I mean if Adidas is funneling talent to Adidas schools, that probably goes a long way in securing future contracts/merchandising with those schools. Plus, since they are sending higher talent to those schools it stands to reason that that schools would see an uptick in successful sports, which would lead to a larger fan base and more tee-shirts sold.

So Adidas most likely got all of that investment back whether or not the kid makes it to the association. And if he does, then I'm sure Adidas probably got the kid or the kids handler to agree to future considerations should they someday be in the market for a shoe contract.

Seems like a no brainer, I dunno

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 05:44:11 PM »

That it must be worth giving up to $100k each to dozens (hundreds) of kids to route them to certain schools in order to have some perceived advantage in signing them as an eventual pro multiplied by the long shot chance they become a Lebron/KD type of market force. It doesn’t seem to me that math works, but it must unless i’m missing something.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
Adidas probably recoups most, if not all of that 90k before the kid ever leaves college. I mean if Adidas is funneling talent to Adidas schools, that probably goes a long way in securing future contracts/merchandising with those schools. Plus, since they are sending higher talent to those schools it stands to reason that that schools would see an uptick in successful sports, which would lead to a larger fan base and more tee-shirts sold.

So Adidas most likely got all of that investment back whether or not the kid makes it to the association. And if he does, then I'm sure Adidas probably got the kid or the kids handler to agree to future considerations should they someday be in the market for a shoe contract.

I’m skeptical that college sports, especially basketball, drives consumers’ decisions enough. When KSU was wearing Reebok and LA Gear, were regular EMAWs rocking those brands because of their love for the cats?

On that last part about agreements for future considerations, is the premise that the player/handler will be ethical on THAT deal?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »

That it must be worth giving up to $100k each to dozens (hundreds) of kids to route them to certain schools in order to have some perceived advantage in signing them as an eventual pro multiplied by the long shot chance they become a Lebron/KD type of market force. It doesn’t seem to me that math works, but it must unless i’m missing something.
Yeah, well, you don't have access to their books. If it didn't make financial sense, I gotta believe they wouldn't be doing this. These aren't mom-and-pop shops. They hire the best folks. Probs even a few from the Wharton School!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »

Yeah, well, you don't have access to their books. If it didn't make financial sense, I gotta believe they wouldn't be doing this. These aren't mom-and-pop shops. They hire the best folks. Probs even a few from the Wharton School!

Ok, rather than continued bbs speculation, I’ll work on getting the books and confirm it myself.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »

I’m skeptical that college sports, especially basketball, drives consumers’ decisions enough. When KSU was wearing Reebok and LA Gear, were regular EMAWs rocking those brands because of their love for the cats?

On that last part about agreements for future considerations, is the premise that the player/handler will be ethical on THAT deal?

I doubt consumers are buying a shoe bc their favorite college basketball team wears it, but they'll buy the tee shirts. As for the future considerations... I'm sure they find a way to get some leverage...I don't know anything about it but if it were me I would probably frame it as the money is given as a loan with some completely ridiculous interest rate with the condition that the loan would be forgiven so long as the kids agrees to never sign an endorsement with any of their competitors

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 06:15:50 PM »
As for the future considerations... I'm sure they find a way to get some leverage...I don't know anything about it but if it were me I would probably frame it as the money is given as a loan with some completely ridiculous interest rate with the condition that the loan would be forgiven so long as the kids agrees to never sign an endorsement with any of their competitors

And the kid could tell the company to eff off should he want to sign with a competitor, as the company can’t  enforce the so-called loan agreement. It’s entirely is based on some trust factor between the two.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2018, 06:17:16 PM »
KU/Adidas make their nut on literal T-Shirt fans. It's a business partnership. I don't know how this is so hard to figure out.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
As for the future considerations... I'm sure they find a way to get some leverage...I don't know anything about it but if it were me I would probably frame it as the money is given as a loan with some completely ridiculous interest rate with the condition that the loan would be forgiven so long as the kids agrees to never sign an endorsement with any of their competitors

And the kid could tell the company to eff off should he want to sign with a competitor, as the company can’t  enforce the so-called loan agreement. It’s entirely is based on some trust factor between the two.

Why couldn't they enforce it? If they issue a loan, even if the terms are absurd, if the kid or the kids legal guardian signs it then what is to keep Adidas from calling in the agreed upon loan?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »

Why couldn't they enforce it? If they issue a loan, even if the terms are absurd, if the kid or the kids legal guardian signs it then what is to keep Adidas from calling in the agreed upon loan?

The laws that the FBI are enforcing now.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
Really a little disturbing to see how some of our TSC friends are reacting to this.

Particularly towards Keitzman.

Really takes the luster off of  :tsc:

The Big Train

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »
They had to try and find an advantage somewhere to keep up with us.  Their inferiority complex really got the best of them. :frown:

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
Huh. So an amateur athlete is good at basketball... And in a completely unrelated incident the kids parents decide to purchase some merchandise from Adidas and opt to use in-house financing to finance the purchase, so Mom and Dad bought a $90k "one of a kind collectors item" and then if Adidas financial services LLC requires the terms of loan be repaid then the FBI can say sorry Adidas it is illegal of you to require them to pay this back?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »
Huh. So an amateur athlete is good at basketball... And in a completely unrelated incident the kids parents decide to purchase some merchandise from Adidas and opt to use in-house financing to finance the purchase, so Mom and Dad bought a $90k "one of a kind collectors item" and then if Adidas financial services LLC requires the terms of loan be repaid then the FBI can say sorry Adidas it is illegal of you to require them to pay this back?

I don't think the FBI would care about the paying back.  It appears they definitely care about the transaction happening to begin with.

If you've come up with the magic lingo to pay players, then forget shoe companies, goEMAW can just start issuing loans for families to have platinum subscriptions here.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2018, 07:03:55 PM »

I don't think the FBI would care about the paying back.  It appears they definitely care about the transaction happening to begin with.

If you've come up with the magic lingo to pay players, then forget shoe companies, goEMAW can just start issuing loans for families to have platinum subscriptions here.

I dunno man, just seems like it would be very difficult to prove. Every day millions of people purchase goods and services and many of them use financing to do it. Seems like the FBI would have a near impossible task proving their case.

I'm a big fan of the gE platinum membership idea, however i can have no knowledge that such an entity does or does not exist as such knowledge would be inculpatory

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
:lol: