Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 546562 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #1250 on: April 02, 2019, 12:08:35 PM »
sys, is the money raised an actual indicator of who the people want to win and/or will be good at the job, or an indicator of who could win based on having suckered the most money out of people with which to survive campaign costs?

A lot of this seems like the dumb way movies are ranked based on how much money they brought in, when that's really just a function of how good a movie's marketing was and how much tickets were at the time.

it's both (in a presidential primary).  money raised from small donations is a pretty good indicator of the size of, and intensity of feeling among, core supporters.  people that may volunteer, may convince friends and family to vote, etc.  that doesn't directly translate to the number of people that might vote for you, but it's meaningful.

it's also the case that to seriously compete in a presidential primary, you need a fair bit of money.  at this point in the cycle, more than anything you need to be able to hire and pay staff.  if you can't do that it's pretty impossible to win.  and you need to be stockpiling money for advertising later in the cycle.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 02, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
it's something i'm interested in at this particular point in time.  i'm not trying to persuade you that you should be as well.

My concern isn't what I'm interested in, my concern comes from the democrats and the ardent followers from some of these candidates muddying up this process by giving value to things that ultimately have nothing to do with an ability to govern and lead, simply because their guy/gal does thing X better than candidate B, C, and D.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 02, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
sys, is the money raised an actual indicator of who the people want to win and/or will be good at the job, or an indicator of who could win based on having suckered the most money out of people with which to survive campaign costs?

A lot of this seems like the dumb way movies are ranked based on how much money they brought in, when that's really just a function of how good a movie's marketing was and how much tickets were at the time.

Mostly the former.

At this early point, 10 months from the Iowa Caucuses, 11 months from Super Tuesday, the ability to raise money is very closely tied to how much money you already have, your name recognition, and media coverage. There are absolutely people donating to certain campaigns now that will change their horse at some point in this process. I've been contacted by Bernie Sanders campaign 6 times already, twice by Delaney, none from anyone else.

The media coverage is incredibly important. Mayor Pete got a CNN town hall because he has a unique story to tell. His candidacy got a huge boost from that town hall specifically his line about Mike Pence. If he didn't have that town hall, he wouldn't have anywhere close to the amount of money he has now. He is a prime example of being the beneficiary of a kingmaker.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 02, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
Wackycat08, what is the scariest part of a Bernie presidency for you?
He won't beat Trump, mainly....

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 02, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
Amen, Wacky.  Elizabeth Warren won't beat Trump either.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 02, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »

Mostly the former.

At this early point, 10 months from the Iowa Caucuses, 11 months from Super Tuesday, the ability to raise money is very closely tied to how much money you already have, your name recognition, and media coverage. There are absolutely people donating to certain campaigns now that will change their horse at some point in this process. I've been contacted by Bernie Sanders campaign 6 times already, twice by Delaney, none from anyone else.

The media coverage is incredibly important. Mayor Pete got a CNN town hall because he has a unique story to tell. His candidacy got a huge boost from that town hall specifically his line about Mike Pence. If he didn't have that town hall, he wouldn't have anywhere close to the amount of money he has now. He is a prime example of being the beneficiary of a kingmaker.
I think CNN is giving town halls for all the candidates. I watched Hickenlooper stink it up about 2 weeks ago.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 02, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
If we don’t break up the united states, there’s gotta be a more equitable way to do this that attracts good people.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 02, 2019, 01:34:56 PM »
there’s gotta be a more equitable way to do this that attracts good people.

if we permit ourselves to include biden and abrams, i don't think there's been a stronger group of candidates in a primary in my lifetime.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 02, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 02, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
Buttigieg is Bizarro Trump.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 02, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
like, at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if someone posted a vid of him dunking

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 02, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 02, 2019, 05:18:24 PM »

if we permit ourselves to include biden and abrams, i don't think there's been a stronger group of candidates in a primary in my lifetime.

If you're 10.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 02, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »

Stronger in that they can win an election (or specifically this election), or that they'd be good at president'n?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 02, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
If you mean stronger in that there are a record number that would beat trump then absolutely yes

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 02, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
Stronger in that they can win an election (or specifically this election), or that they'd be good at president'n?

stronger in that they are either traditionally credentialed, skilled at being a politician or both.  i'm sure most of them would be fine as presidents as well.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 02, 2019, 08:16:57 PM »
Newt sees it.

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1113125398320218112?s=21

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 02, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
The chances of it happening are my newt, but I really, really want a President Pete.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 02, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
The chances of it happening are my newt, but I really, really want a President Pete.

So spracne is a wacky sock? Never would’ve guessed it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 02, 2019, 08:48:01 PM »

:lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 02, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »

So spracne is a wacky sock? Never would’ve guessed it.
Maybe Wacky is a Spracne sock.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 02, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »
Meaningless tweet but check the comments. It’s a who’s who of the people that post responses to your moms Facebook political posts.

https://twitter.com/kamalaharris/status/1113067056071630848?s=21

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 02, 2019, 11:21:56 PM »
Meaningless tweet but check the comments. It’s a who’s who of the people that post responses to your moms Facebook political posts.

Once again, how positively . . . Trumpian

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:00 AM »

Once again, how positively . . . Trumpian

Pfft. Trump's personal keebler elf, Jeff Sessions, reversed Obama administration protections for states that had legalized weed. This happened in January of 2018, 14 months ago. Republican Colorado Governor Cory Gardner asked Trump to chill and he said he would, 13 months later the administration has done nothing legally to reverse what they did in January 2018. This literally happened yesterday.
https://twitter.com/RepDianaDeGette/status/1112806856571977728