Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 541709 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #1104 on: March 25, 2019, 08:22:01 PM »
i think having the justices pick the justices is a great idea

i dont want any more of them tho

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 25, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »

I haven't really formed an opinion on it myself one way or the other, but I'm just curious: What's your thought process for the second point?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 25, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »

I haven't really formed an opinion on it myself one way or the other, but I'm just curious: What's your thought process for the second point?

the fewer there are, the more you can get to know each of them and it makes it more fun. If there were 15, I wouldnt know the name of a single one or care even a little bit about their appointments or opinions

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 25, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »

the fewer there are, the more you can get to know each of them and it makes it more fun. If there were 15, I wouldnt know the name of a single one or care even a little bit about their appointments or opinions
So, 9 is good, but 15 is right out?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 25, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
yup

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 25, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
Last I saw, something like 25% of people can name 2 Supreme Court justices. I don't see name recallability of 9 versus 15 being a material issue.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: March 25, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »
it should really be sized on workload. each case normally has 2 opinions. how many cases do we want a year and how many justices does it take to hear them and generate the necessary opinions.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
it should really be sized on workload. each case normally has 2 opinions. how many cases do we want a year and how many justices does it take to hear them and generate the necessary opinions.
Something like 1% of writs for certiorari are granted. Based on memory, that accounts for fewer than 100 out of ~10,000/year. I don't think we *need* more justices. Nor do I think the political will exists to pack the court. But I think status quo is that case load tracks capacity, and not the other way around.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 25, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
I am not opposed to the idea of more judges, but I don't want it to happen because of some power grab, which is the most likely scenario.

I'm also a fan of 9 judges at 16 year terms, 2 appointed each presidential term
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 25, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »
what if each dying president gets to appoint a justice with his or her last breath

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 25, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »

I am not opposed to the idea of more judges, but I don't want it to happen because of some power grab, which is the most likely scenario.

I'm also a fan of 9 judges at 16 year terms, 2 appointed each presidential term

Thing is, that would require an amendment, and most Constitutional scholars agree that we are likely living in a post-Constitutional-amendment country. It's just too difficult to amend it, absent broad bi-partisan consensus. And every issue gets polarized immediately. Especially a politically motivated thing like packing the court. Lol. No.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 25, 2019, 10:39:42 PM »
I’m against appointing more justices because once that seal is broken it would just keep going up. Every president campaigning would be like, and we’ll take control back of the Supreme Court by appointing X more justices, and then you’ll end up with like 400 justices and omg can you imagine oral argument then? It would just be ridiculous. Anyway 9 seems like a good number.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 25, 2019, 10:46:21 PM »
I’m against appointing more justices because once that seal is broken it would just keep going up. Every president campaigning would be like, and we’ll take control back of the Supreme Court by appointing X more justices, and then you’ll end up with like 400 justices and omg can you imagine oral argument then? It would just be ridiculous. Anyway 9 seems like a good number.

before we get to that point, some smart president will figure out that it's more efficient and better p.r. to just assassinate the opposing party's justices.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 25, 2019, 11:43:26 PM »
Doesn’t work. Look at what happened when Obama had Scalia murdered.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 25, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »
LOL

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 26, 2019, 12:23:36 AM »
Obama had Scalia murdered.

i have had irl people tell me that happened.  also irl people tell me that he obviously died rough ridin' a prostitute.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 26, 2019, 12:50:15 AM »

before we get to that point, some smart president will figure out that it's more efficient and better p.r. to just assassinate the opposing party's justices.

the seal has already been broken

there have been 6, 7, 9, and 10 justice courts. the constitution does not define the size of the court

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 26, 2019, 12:57:09 AM »

there have been 6, 7, 9, and 10 justice courts. the constitution does not define the size of the court
I already made that point. But the status quo is pretty relevant in the least-understood branch of government. How long has it been since there have been not 9 Justices? Rhetorical question. I know the answer. You know who doesn't want a shake up in the high court? The high court, because it would undermine their legitimacy as an independent and coequal branch of government.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 26, 2019, 01:26:03 AM »

I already made that point. But the status quo is pretty relevant in the least-understood branch of government. How long has it been since there have been not 9 Justices? Rhetorical question. I know the answer. You know who doesn't want a shake up in the high court? The high court, because it would undermine their legitimacy as an independent and coequal branch of government.

i know the answer because i obviously just looked it up on wikipedia
i think there is a law currently mandating the 9, so they would have to write a new law, which is as impossbile as any other law

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 26, 2019, 03:09:29 AM »
thinking back, i think gillibrand did indicate an openness to consider removing existing barriers on the border.  so that's two.  pretty sure no one else has.  i know when harris was pressed on it she was a hard no and talked up a bunch of trump reinforcing crap about border security.

please do link me up if there are other candidates pushing back on continuing to have a militarized southern border forever.  i'd be very happy to know of them.

Instead of wasting my time looking for something so patently stupid, why don't you find me and Democratic candidate on record for wanting to build any type of border barrier. Even the two potential candidates to primary the cheeto aren't fully invested in a barrier.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:05 AM »
what if each dying president gets to appoint a justice with his or her last breath

Would require an amendment, I can't believe spracne let you get away with this one
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite