Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 544735 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #1700 on: April 24, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »
I really like that Pete was the only one with the balls to say, "Yeah, uh, nope" when asked that stupid Boston Bomber voting question.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:53 PM »

i'm not sure i'm deciphering your comment correctly.  you're saying that some people decided they liked him, or at least found him interesting, but are now finding out that he is more conservative than they assumed and are losing interest?

Yeah, I think many had an initial favorable impression that faded when they learned more about him. There's also people who never liked him that are lashing out because he's doing as well as he is compared to their preferred candidate.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 24, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »
I really like that Pete was the only one with the balls to say, "Yeah, uh, nope" when asked that stupid Boston Bomber voting question.
Overall I don't think Bernie did too well but it took a lot more balls to answer "yes" to that question imo.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 24, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
Overall I don't think Bernie did too well but it took a lot more balls to answer "yes" to that question imo.
Thots on Kamala's response?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 24, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »

political courage is doing something your supporters won't like.  i think it's pretty balanced, but i'd say that sanders' answer was slightly more courageous and buttigieg's was slightly more advantageous.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 24, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »
Yeah, I think many had an initial favorable impression that faded when they learned more about him. There's also people who never liked him that are lashing out because he's doing as well as he is compared to their preferred candidate.

i think, at least as far as twitter goes, it's almost a given that any criticism of a candidate is being delivered by individuals that support a different candidate.  but you can still evaluate whether that criticism strikes a valid mark or not.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 24, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »
Thots on Kamala's response?
I mean it  was definitely the laziest/safest of the three. I didn't watch much of her, I really only saw that clip

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »

i think, at least as far as twitter goes, it's almost a given that any criticism of a candidate is being delivered by individuals that support a different candidate.  but you can still evaluate whether that criticism strikes a valid mark or not.
Yes

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 24, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
Letting convicts vote while incarcerated is probably one of the dumbest ideas I’ve ever heard.  Right up there with letting 16 year olds vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 24, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
Letting convicts vote while incarcerated is probably one of the dumbest ideas I’ve ever heard.  Right up there with letting 16 year olds vote.

It's not that bad

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/prisoners-convicts-felons-inmates-right-to-vote-enfranchise-criminal-justice-voting-rights-213979

TIL prisoners count in the census for population of census districts in some states (but then aren't allowed to vote). That's pretty crazy!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: April 24, 2019, 09:07:17 PM »
i think i agree with sanders myself, although i can live with beto's version.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1121146176894590976

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 24, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »
they're citizens.  they're more dependent on government than basically anyone.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:28 PM »
TIL prisoners count in the census for population of census districts in some states (but then aren't allowed to vote). That's pretty crazy!

it is pretty perverse that people leaving near prisons have a greater voice than other citizens do.  kinda 3/5thy, tbh.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 24, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »
i think i agree with sanders myself, although i can live with beto's version.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1121146176894590976
Pretty good non-answer. It's an interesting discussion that kind of leads to questioning what the goal of incarceration is.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 24, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
it's very weird that you perceive that to be a non-answer.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 24, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »

It's not that bad

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/prisoners-convicts-felons-inmates-right-to-vote-enfranchise-criminal-justice-voting-rights-213979

It’s ridiculous. I’m all for them having their voting rights restored as soon as they’re released.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 24, 2019, 09:34:56 PM »

Maybe I should have called it non committal. "I would think that we should rethink removing voting rights" could also just be considered to be really shitty editing
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:38:11 PM by michigancat »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:11 PM »

It's not that bad

It’s ridiculous. I’m all for them having their voting rights restored as soon as they’re released.

"It's dumb" and "it's ridiculous" aren't very compelling counterarguments

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 24, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »

Maybe I should have called it non committal. "I would think that we should rethink removing voting rights" could also just be considered to be really shitty editing

he said yes for non-violent felons voting, no for violent felons voting.  hope that helps.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 24, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
"It's dumb" and "it's ridiculous" aren't very compelling counterarguments

i agree.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 24, 2019, 09:55:04 PM »

he said yes for non-violent felons voting, no for violent felons voting.  hope that helps.
More like a "maybe" for non-violent and "probably not" for violent

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 24, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »
 :rolleyes:

i mean, these are basically state decisions (dunno the numbers but the huge, huge majority of prisoners are state, not federal, and afaik, as long is compliant with federal constitution, the state has oversight over voting).  the president has no direct role in this policy, it's just a question of what do you believe with no policy consequence whatsoever.  he stated what he believes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 25, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »
pretty good, on buttigieg.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/magazine/pete-buttigieg-smart-harvard-rhodes-scholar-norwegian-language.html

I really don't care what any of these erudite people have to say about Pete's eruditeness.