Author Topic: pos 'pubs being complete pieces of crap  (Read 146454 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: pos 'pubs being complete pieces of crap
« Reply #1950 on: April 05, 2023, 03:18:37 PM »
It’s the 2023 version of video games will rot our kids brains

Social media? I think there's plenty of evidence that it's not particularly good for anyone.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: April 05, 2023, 03:20:41 PM »
Yeah, it sucks in a bunch of ways and there is a bunch of info out there about that already.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: April 05, 2023, 03:23:22 PM »

Social media? I think there's plenty of evidence that it's not particularly good for anyone.

There is a ton of research that suggests exactly how tangibly this is affecting our youths (and old people), but I wonder about the difficulty in defining "social media," as this blog site would generally be considered "social media." As you know, you can't just pass a law that says, "Facebook must cease operations."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 05, 2023, 03:24:16 PM »
Yeah, it sucks in a bunch of ways and there is a bunch of info out there about that already.

Let’s see the studies
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 05, 2023, 04:05:13 PM »
I think that cat's out of the bag

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: April 05, 2023, 05:45:49 PM »
I might need to start an Iowa politics thread. I keep trying to give these psychopaths the benefit of the doubt in thinking they're just pushing a larger conservative agenda but they're completely off the rails.

Look at this crap  :ROFL:
https://twitter.com/Rushthewriter/status/1641444041706569730
I'm OK with prohibiting it for minors without parental approval.  Can of worms on how you get parental approval, but, generally speaking, I think it's probably a good idea (if a bit idealistic) to keep young kids off social media.

Are y'all the party of small government or not? My God.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 05, 2023, 05:51:48 PM »
I don't think a small government has ever been particularly important to religious conservatives.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: April 05, 2023, 05:52:09 PM »
I wish I was a meme master like dax. I'd use that hotline bling to show using government to tell business not to pollute the water nah, using the government to to tell social media companies to enact completely unenforceable rules, yeah!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: April 05, 2023, 05:59:56 PM »
The entire point of religious conservatives is 1) to regulate non-religious people into their beliefs, and 2) protect against non-religious people banning their beliefs (imo this is because they assume everyone else is like them and wants to ban the competition)

None of that has a small government basis.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: April 06, 2023, 06:50:55 AM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: April 06, 2023, 09:00:52 AM »
Apparently, not disclosing that stuff is against the law.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: April 06, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »
We're essentially living in a second Gilded Age

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: April 06, 2023, 11:02:35 AM »
I might need to start an Iowa politics thread. I keep trying to give these psychopaths the benefit of the doubt in thinking they're just pushing a larger conservative agenda but they're completely off the rails.

I'm OK with prohibiting it for minors without parental approval.  Can of worms on how you get parental approval, but, generally speaking, I think it's probably a good idea (if a bit idealistic) to keep young kids off social media.

Sometimes you assign me points of view that I don't think are very fair or accurate.

There is a ton of research that suggests exactly how tangibly this is affecting our youths (and old people), but I wonder about the difficulty in defining "social media," as this blog site would generally be considered "social media." As you know, you can't just pass a law that says, "Facebook must cease operations."
Yeah, that's the problem.  There may not be any way to properly define it, but I do think it's a problem worth thinking about.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: April 06, 2023, 12:19:48 PM »
I DON’T CO PARENT WITH THE GOVERNMENT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: April 06, 2023, 12:31:40 PM »
I DON’T CO PARENT WITH THE GOVERNMENT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon. This is ridiculous. You do it all the time. It is good. It is Right.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: April 06, 2023, 12:51:31 PM »

Sometimes you assign me points of view that I don't think are very fair or accurate.

Yeah, that's the problem.  There may not be any way to properly define it, but I do think it's a problem worth thinking about.

Sir, you're a self professed republican, no?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 06, 2023, 12:53:32 PM »

On some stuff, yeah.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 06, 2023, 01:01:04 PM »

On some stuff, yeah.

So you're a republican who thinks it's good policy to require social media companies, whatever that means, to ensure that parents get permission to use their apps. That's not at all small government, that's government overreach to something that's completely unenforceable. What point of view am I assigning that's unfair?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 06, 2023, 01:07:35 PM »

On some stuff, yeah.

So you're a republican who thinks it's good policy to require social media companies, whatever that means, to ensure that parents get permission to use their apps. That's not at all small government, that's government overreach to something that's completely unenforceable. What point of view am I assigning that's unfair?
That i'm in favor of small government all the time.  I'm definitely not a republican on every issue, but i tend to side with them on some of the issues i care about most (which, in some cases, happen to be issues involving a lot of govt overreach! (e.g. abortion)).  There's plenty of big issues I'm not in lockstep with the republican platform on though (e.g. affirmative action, welfare state in general, etc.).

I acknowledge the social media thing is a hugely complicated endeavor, but I think it's a good idea to require parental permission for kids to be on facebook/IG/tiktok, etc. How do you apply it?  I don't know, but generally speaking I think social media is horrible for people. Bad far outweighs the good, imo. So any effort to curb/slow it is almost certainly something i'm in favor of regardless of who proposes it.   If I were ruler of the world we'd turn "Social Media" off.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 01:10:50 PM by DQ12 »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 06, 2023, 01:18:34 PM »
The answer would be requiring that certain security measures be put in place to avoid underage use. You can certainly determine whether those protocols are actually used or not. I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to compare social media use to something like smoking (we don’t think it’s good for your health but go ahead if you’re of legal age to decide for yourself).

Making it incumbent upon all “social media” companies to discern the true age of their users is lazy legislating and, like MIR said, likely unenforceable.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 06, 2023, 01:48:56 PM »

On some stuff, yeah.

That i'm in favor of small government all the time.  I'm definitely not a republican on every issue, but i tend to side with them on some of the issues i care about most (which, in some cases, happen to be issues involving a lot of govt overreach! (e.g. abortion)).  There's plenty of big issues I'm not in lockstep with the republican platform on though (e.g. affirmative action, welfare state in general, etc.).

I acknowledge the social media thing is a hugely complicated endeavor, but I think it's a good idea to require parental permission for kids to be on facebook/IG/tiktok, etc. How do you apply it?  I don't know, but generally speaking I think social media is horrible for people. Bad far outweighs the good, imo. So any effort to curb/slow it is almost certainly something i'm in favor of regardless of who proposes it.   If I were ruler of the world we'd turn "Social Media" off.

Then I sincerely apologize dlew.

I am frequently frustrated with social media but I disagree with you that it largely doesn't serve a greater good. Sure there are bad actors but most people who use social media aren't bad actors and there has been more good than harm that has developed from us having more access to each other.

The current hysteria over social media is no different than other media sources when they were new. Parents ultimately have ultimate control as to what and how much social media their children use, just as they did with video games, movies, television, music, and radio usage before.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 06, 2023, 01:57:39 PM »
I think social media has caused more harm than good. It's nice to have a convenient way to share photos with people, but without social media, we probably would have been able to get most of the population vaccinated for COVID, no QAnon, no flat earthers, etc. Hell, we might not have even had a candidate Trump, let alone president Trump.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 06, 2023, 02:13:25 PM »
I think social media has caused more harm than good. It's nice to have a convenient way to share photos with people, but without social media, we probably would have been able to get most of the population vaccinated for COVID, no QAnon, no flat earthers, etc. Hell, we might not have even had a candidate Trump, let alone president Trump.

Yep. I think my top reasons for having disdain for social media:

1. Incredibly efficient at spreading misinformation.
2. Reinforces (if not creates) echo chambers that give people the false sense that their particular world view is by far the most prevalent and the others are simply outliers.
3. For kids in particular it creates a false sense of reality where the user feels like their everyday life is way more difficult and mundane than all of their peers.

Plenty of positives, but I wouldn't call it a net benefit by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 06, 2023, 02:14:20 PM »
Generally speaking, I think we'd hate each other a lot less.  It's absolutely poisoned the country politically imo.  To say nothing of the specific issues kids face with it.

There are some things it's great for, but I think we'd be better on the whole if we could turn it off.  Total fantasy, of course.  Can't put that toothpaste back in the bottle.  But if we can at least keep more kids off of it longer, I think everyone would be better off.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1974 on: April 06, 2023, 05:44:06 PM »
People were blowing up little girls in churches long before social media was around.  The state and influence of social media is a symptom not a cause.